• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What service for Reserve duty?

As a general question, which service would offer best opportunities for Training? Rank? and ability to shoot on a team?

National Guard - might be easiest to join and closer to home (MA)
Air force Reserve - higher standard of living/comfort?
Coast Guard Recerve- hard to get into? limited slots?

Any thoughts?

Mass National guard, then pick an 18 series MOS. serious training, rank quick, and you will definitely shoot with a team.

I don't know about competition options in the reserves. The reserve SF unit I'm sure gets to play, but that is also a lot easier said than done. Otherwise I'd say Marine Infantry reserve will get you the best weapons training, though I haven't heard of any path to compete other than the annual qualifications. When the command is running things right you will also get a solid ammount of ranges in yearly.

If you want to deploy I'd recommend going active, but you probably missed "this one." That said if you don't want to go to war we don't want you in the military. If you only want to shoot competition stick to the civilian side. The only regular trigger time you will get in the reserves will be combat MOS's.

Mike

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:
As someone who has spent 8 years of active Army, 3 years of reserves and 5 years of National Guard (MA), I can give you my opinion from my own experience, but I find the military in general to be something that varies a LOT based on personal experience.

I serve in the 211 Military Police Battalion and I know that we send shooting teams to the competitions every year. I've never tried to join one of them, so I can't say for sure how easy they are to get involved with, but based on the way I've seen it done, it seems to me that people who are willing to put in the time generally get to participate.

As far as the SF groups go, I have a couple of thoughts. First, there is a lot more involved (obviously) than just signing up for that unit. There is a try-out weekend which happens twice. Also, you are definitely going to spend some time deployed if you do go SF - a lot of time - so, if you have a job where that's a problem or it just isn't your thing, this definitely isn't a good spot. Whether or not they send people to shooting competitions I can't say, so I'd get some more information on that before moving forward.

All things considered, though, MA ARNG is the way to go - I have one deployment active and one with the Guard and I thought the Guard was a better experience. Again, your mileage may (will) vary. Let me know if you have any questions or you need any contacts.

I have served as part of the staff (permanent personnel) at a reserve unit for five years now and it wasn't by choice.
The MC reserve takes a lot of commitment just to be in the reserves.
The active duty staff expects all our reserve NCO's, SNCO's, and officers all to do a fair amount of work on their own time.
And without question we will deploy your butt so there has to be an easier way to be a weekend warrior.

I say if you want to become a Soldier, Sailor, or Marine go active duty military otherwise just stay a civilian and don't even bother.
If it's strictly weekend service you want and insist upon, then go into the National Guard.
smitty

Last edited:
I wouldn't say don't even bother, but in a more quiet op-tempo there is a good chance your weekend service will be pretty boring, to seemingly no end, and quite possibly not involve a deployment. Also, a weekend a month can be more of a pain than you expect, especially when half the year you are basically wasting that weekend doing check in the box stuff, or coming in early to take another urinalysis test.

Units can vary incredibly unit to unit, this can have to do with the dynamics of the unit, as well as the active duty personnel working back stage. As Smitty said, if you end up as an NCO, the higher you go, the more "homework" you have outside of drill. Also, to add to what Smitty said, if you don't have a home life you are trying to maintain, Active duty may be a better bet. Fortunately most of the guys in my unit are students or have real jobs, but there are the occasional few who didn't do anything before they joined, and now the only thing they do is go to drill one weekend a month. It can be a great career, but a reserve career won't do much more than supplement a real career.

I can't speak to the National Guard as I have never served with them, though I am considering going that route after school.

Mike

Just to be fair, yes, there are many drills in the Guard where absolutely nothing happens and a lot of it is check the box stuff, but my experience was that active duty spends a similar percentage of their time doing these things. It's not all firefights and mortar attacks for either one.

The difference is, when I retire, I'm going to have a pension from the military as well as one from my civilian job.

As a general question, which service would offer best opportunities for Training? Rank? and ability to shoot on a team?

Any thoughts?

You can send me a PM, too.

Any thoughts?

I am currently on Active Duty "ARMY" and each service has its pro's and cons's, send a PM and I will be glad to give all I know and of not put you in the right direction to get you the correct answer and not a "recruiter" answer.

I am currently on Active Duty "ARMY" and each service has its pro's and cons's, send a PM and I will be glad to give all I know and of not put you in the right direction to get you the correct answer and not a "recruiter" answer.

If you aren't a recruiter, you likely don't have the correct answer to any of those. Particularly the ease of getting into them. SMOMs come out daily affecting the answers to those questions.

Marlet, I am sure there are hundreds of "experts" here and I know im new to using the forum but with military matters dealing with current op's and reg's I do this as a job and one part is working with sister services (Coast guard excluded) and there administrative sections as well as there recruitment BN's, I can get the real answers and explain what I know from the amount of contact and B.S'ng I have done with them as well as put someone in contact with a soldier that will explain to them what there sevice has currently to offer and unlike a recruiter sell them there service. I am not sure what a SMOM is?

I'm RIARNG currently, and I love it... though the engineers down here are not a typical military unit. National guard is decent training, the SF guys do more shooting than most, as far as I can tell. I'm trying to get all the regs together to start a pistol comp team right now, dunno if that is what you are talking about...

Army National guard will have a lot more opportunities for you, spread out all over MA and RI.

Air Force Reserves very limited opportunities at Hanscom and Westover in MA, and none i'm aware of in RI

Air National Guard very limited opportunities at Otis

Army National guard will have a lot more opportunities for you, spread out all over MA and RI.

Air Force Reserves very limited opportunities at Hanscom and Westover in MA, and none i'm aware of in RI

Air National Guard very limited opportunities at Otis

Air NG is stationed out of Quonset, RI at the base I work on, and there is an air reserve base in johnston, RI, iirc.

Any thoughts?

Very good question, but I must ask first. Are you a civilian DISTINGUISHED PISTOL through CMP EIC matches? Second, are you looking for more than shooting on a team, like a career, skills and or just extra money? Always remember, joining doesn't mean you would ever make it on a competitive team.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom