• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What scope or red dot is on your 10/22

Retired-LEO

NES Member
Just curious as to what people on here are using for a scope or red dot on their RUGER 10/22

What 10/22 do you have regular or takedown?

What base and mounts are you using?

Are you mainly plinking OR going for distance?

Be descriptive, add a picture and get rep points.

Have a Happy & Safe 4th of July, long weekend!

Thanks! for your time...

[iwojima]

Last edited:
I've got a 10/22 Ruger take down.

I have not mounted a scope or red dot.

Frankly, I bought it for my 7 year old to practice shooting. Would have rather gotten a bolt action but figured I'd get the takedown because it's cool.

Haven't mounted a scope or red dot because I want him to learn to shoot irons first.

I have been thinking about mounting a red dot on it. I would just mount a cheap millet if I did.

So, the two things holding me back from doing that is my son is great at irons with his young eyes, and I don't want him to get lazy like his old man. Second, the beauty of a Ruger 10/22 take down is the compact nature of it. A red dot mounted on it seems like it would make it bulkier.

I will eventually mount something on it. I would use the rail that came with the gun.

I wont bother posting a picture because it's still stock. You can grab a picture off the Ruger site.

I do so love that gun though. It is a blast to shoot even though I really just intended it for my son.

ETA: it's a blast to shoot clays with it. Provided you have a place to do that. If anyone knows of a way to get +10 round Ruger mags for us MA prisoners, I'd like to know. I'm under the impression that there is no way to get bigger mags legally here.

Last edited:
mixup98's channel is highly underappreciated. he is a talented shooter and has great perspective on various firearms. his video on the ruger american ranch .223 convinced me to go that route, and i'm glad i did.

in terms of 10/22, I'm running an ATI fiberforce stock with a pic rail on the receiver upon which lives a TRS-25 RDS. great setup. Given the ballistics of 22LR I couldn't see much point in anything over 3x optic.

i haven't had a chance to test one of these nikon rimfire scopes, but it looks cool:
https://www.amazon.com/Nikon-P-RIMFIRE-Rifle-Scope-Black/dp/B00I3M634E?ie=UTF8&tag=reloaderaddict-20

Last edited:
10-22 target tactical with a volquartzen trigger nikon prostaff 3x9 with bullet drop compensator. Amazing fun and accurate rifle. Shot many clean rounds at 22 plate shoots and harvested many squirrels out to 100 yards with this setup. The bullet drop compensator is key for a rimfire because of the big ballistic arc it travels. If you can get a scope with a bdc i strongly recommend it.

image.jpg

Last edited:
I have a Weaver 9X that the guy at the counter at Shooter's sold me for $40 (with the mounts) when I bought the gun. So far it is more accurate than me and the gun. I have no complaints.

But you could spend several hundred dollars too.

i have a nikon prostaff 3-9x40 on a 16" green mountain .920 barrel and a 4-12x40 on 18" green mountain .920". works well for what i'm doing with them at 75 to 100 yards.

Cabelas Brand 22 scope. I forget the model name but I have had it on the rifle for a long time and it never misses a varmint.

I currently have two 10/22's. The first is a stock synethetic stock 10/22. Only upgrade is the Volquartsen Auto bolt release. Just used for fun days at the range. I'm currently just using the stock Iron Sights for this one. .

The second is a complete build. Volquartsen receiver, Kidd Bolt, Clark Custom Trigger group and Barrel, PWS mag release, Archangel stock, and for the scope is a Nikon P-22, which honestly for the money is a fantastic scope. Really really like it. I've taken it out to 100 yards and it performs fantastic.

WP_20160703_21_35_09_Pro.jpg

I have a Meuller APV on one, and a C-More STS on the other. Both regular, run of the mill 10/22s.

I did splurge on Burris Zee rings for the APV.

Funny this should come up now. I spent some time yesterday on RimfireCentral.com checking out their recommendations for scopes.

My Wife bought a Ruger 10/22 (Collector Series 2) that came with a rail and peep sights.

RimfireCentral recommendation was the Bushnell AR Rimfire scope (for a reasonable priced scope). However, I decided to wait and see how she shoots it with the built-in peep sights before deciding on buying anything.

We have 2 other 10/22s, one with a Bushnell 3-9x40 scope and the other has Tech Sights (setup for Appleseed). She usually shot the one with the Bushnell scope (no idea which model as it isn't marked, but bought it some years ago from CDT).

I have a vintage Bushnell sportview 3x9x32 use it at 100 yards on anything I can see through the scope .... I also have target sights for my 10/22 old Lyman rear and a Redfield globe for the front.

Realy doesn't mater what brand for a .22. What matters is matching the optic to your intended use.
Consider ANY red dot is going to blot out 3"-8" of your target at 100 yds. In many cases, you won't even see that target ( unless you purposely sight it in so the gun shoots high.) Even within red dots, a 2-3 min dot is proffered for close in accuracy where a bug 5-8 min dot for action shooting. A scope will on the other hand give you best usable accuracy but suffers for quick acquisition and clarity (as magnification goes up.).

That said, I have an inexpensive 4x32 power compact scope and a 3 min dot on quick disconnet mounts for my 10/22 take down. I swap between both (and iron sights) as the mood/need fits.

Realy doesn't mater what brand for a .22. What matters is matching the optic to your intended use.
Consider ANY red dot is going to blot out 3"-8" of your target at 100 yds. In many cases, you won't even see that target ( unless you purposely sight it in so the gun shoots high.) Even within red dots, a 2-3 min dot is proffered for close in accuracy where a bug 5-8 min dot for action shooting. A scope will on the other hand give you best usable accuracy but suffers for quick acquisition and clarity (as magnification goes up.).

That said, I have an inexpensive 4x32 power compact scope and a 3 min dot on quick disconnet mounts for my 10/22 take down. I swap between both (and iron sights) as the mood/need fits.

As a owner of several inexpensive scopes it will often matter....now if your just going to shoot the cheapest ammo you can find don't get to crazy with a scope/red dot. I can tell you for almost every electronic sight under 200$ they often will fail just out of warranty. What you have to consider with inexpensive scopes is how they hold up or how well they will adjust and hold those adjustments. If you are going to zero for the 1000 rounds of XYZ ammo you have and leave it almost any scope will do. If you want to rely on the turrets actually adjusting and staying put its worth while to invest.
I have several inexpensive scopes all,of them have a certain level of back lash , false clicks and if you try and dial in a few MOA you never really know if it will be correct.

The longest living red dot or should I say red blob I have is a 1990s vintage Tasco Pro Point. It currently sits on top of my TacSol 22lr AR upper and is used to shoot clay targets at 100 yards and 4-6" steel .

If I get the hankering to shoot tiny little groups with my 10/22 I probably will go with one of these
http://muelleroptics.com/mueller-8-32x44-side-focus-tactical

I also might get real silly and go for one of these
http://muelleroptics.com/mueller-8-32x44-side-focus-tactical
Or
http://info.sightron.com/Riflescopes/SIII-Series/SIIISS832X56LRMOA/

I have 3 10/22's with BSA Sweet 22 scopes and for the money they cant be beat. They are less than 100 bucks, come with 3 turrets for adjustment of 3 different weight bullets and they hold zero. I have never had an issue with any of mine. A friend had an issue with his and the Warranty process was painless.
Life time warranty.

I have a nodak spud rail with built in rear peep co-witnessed with a Bushnell trs 25

Looks like this one. Not mine as I'm travelling today

6050568a104a0b38c57f255988a26c65.jpg

Last edited:
On my 10/22 takedown I've got a Primary Arms micro dot and hogue thumbhole stock. Otherwise stock. Mostly use it for steel challenge.

Bushnell TRS-25 on wife's SS take-down 10/22
Bushnell TRS-25 on my folding-stock SS 10/22
Bushnell Trophy 1x28 Rifle scope red/green dot on a suppressed 10/22

I have 3 10/22's with BSA Sweet 22 scopes and for the money they cant be beat. They are less than 100 bucks, come with 3 turrets for adjustment of 3 different weight bullets and they hold zero. I have never had an issue with any of mine. A friend had an issue with his and the Warranty process was painless.
Life time warranty.

OpticsPlanet has 10% off (>$50) and free shipping thru today, July 4th. Code is JULY4TH.

Just ordered one of these plus rings to kick it over $50.
http://www.opticsplanet.com/bsa-optics-bsa-sweet-22-3-9x40mm-ao-22-rimfire-black-matte.html - not in stock, expect a few weeks for shipping.

Rings: http://www.opticsplanet.com/leupold-rifleman-rifle-scope-mount-rings.html

Back
Top Bottom