• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What scope for a Barrett?

JayMcB

NES Member
Assachusetts when necessary. NH when possible
I have tracking on my M82A1, and I expect to have it in my hands for the weekend. [smile] Been saving for this a long time.

I didn't get a package with the scope, so now I'm in the market for one.

I will at some point hopefully get to Harvard, where the max distance is 300 yards. Up in NH, I may get to 400, but I don't see going out much past that.

I'm also considering a BORS unit (eventually) if that makes a difference.

NES Brain trust, share the knowledge. [grin]

I have a Bushnell Elite Tactical 3.5-21 w/mil dot on mine (35mm rings).

It's a decent mid-priced scope ($1500-$2000ish) for those not up to springing for a Nightforce or US Optics.

Based on budget...

$1,500 SWFA 5-20x50 HD
$2,500 Nightforce 5-25x56 ATACR
$3,000 Swarovski 5-30x50 Z6i

Probably Nightforce: The whole buy once, cry once mantra right? Once you get up there, US Optics, Nightforce, Swarovski... hard to go wrong. Rob's suggestion isn't bad but for $500 more...

If you are only looking at 400 yds maximum, you don't need huge magnification. I think first and foremost you need to research for ruggedness.

Also, not a s one recommendation but looks like there is a thread about Granby opening a 1000 yard range in the near future.

If you are only looking at 400 yds maximum, you don't need huge magnification. I think first and foremost you need to research for ruggedness.

Barrett sells the BORS units with the Leupold and Nightforce NXS 8-32x56 scopes. No love for Leupold? And I may be getting out past 400, just not right away.

Suggest doing your research based on your needs/wants and budget. There's a lot of good scopes but also a lot of different features that may or may not matter to you such as type of reticle, FFP or non-FFP, zero stop, etc. Also, you have to consider rings and mounts... don't go cheap.

When I was looking for a scope and mount and determining what features mattered or not to me, these site had a lot of the information I needed: http://www.scout.com/military/snipers-hide/forums/5511-sniper-s-hide-rifle-scopes and http://www.snipercentral.com/

Back
Top Bottom