• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What rare or obscure calibers do you shoot?

Nice. Do you have to load those way down? Most shotshells operate at a pretty low pressure (~12,000) PSI while blackpowder rounds operate between 13k PSI and 24k PSI.

Thanks. There have been no issues with the brass when used in full case loads of 2F BP, in Martini and Snider loads. The brass shotshells have been completely up to the task.

Some of the reloaders should get together and make their own new round for NES, how cool would an AK in 7.62NES be? Or maybe a 1911 in .45 NES? I know it wouldn't really be creating a round to a specific purpose, just seems like a cool idea.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Swiss Vetterli shooting .41 Swiss. Had this at the pumpkin shoot but the firing pin broke

8mm Lebel

Not as rare:

7.5x55 (7.5 Swiss)

.303 British.

Some of the reloaders should get together and make their own new round for NES, how cool would an AK in 7.62NES be? Or maybe a 1911 in .45 NES? I know it wouldn't really be creating a round to a specific purpose, just seems like a cool idea.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Oh you mean like a .356TSW, or a .41Action Express, or how about a Dardick tround, or maybe even a Glock 45 (.45 GAP). Not everyone shares your opinion that having some kind of proprietary cartridge is a "cool idea" [frown]

I reload 9mm Steyr. It's an obsolete cartridge that was developed before WWI for the Steyr Hahn 1912, last time it was mass produced was before WWII. Fiocchi and Hornady still produce it in small batches but it is rare and very expensive, you really need to reload for this gun if you intend to shoot it. It uses the same bullet as 9mm Luger but the case is longer. I reload it using .38 Super dies and soft 9mm Luger load data. I find 6.8-7.0gr of AA#7 with a 124gr lead bullet works well. Once you get the brass (I've heard 9x23 also works) it is fairly easy to reload for. It's a really fun gun to shoot and was pretty innovative for it's time (rotating barrel and advanced safety). Here is my Steyr and a comparison of some factory 9mm Steyr to Luger.

20110819114135672.jpg

201112281239141181.jpg

I'm just plain old boring, I guess....
Nothing strange here, but I did have some 7.5 Swiss Ord for the pistol, but never owned the pistol (sold the ammo finally)...I knew someone out there would need it!). Same with the 7.62x45mm...
I have loaded some lead-filled 5.7x28 as .310" bullets and made some cut .30 Carbines into .35 Rem/357 Magnum jacketed. The Sinterfire frangibles and plastic bullets are different, but not an obscure caliber, by any stretch.
If you call .303 Brit the 7.7x56R, then that's a bit obscure, no?

Where do you get the shotshells and dies for this?

Shells: http://www.midwayusa.com/product/195393/magtech-shotshell-hulls-24-gauge-2-1-2-brass-box-of-25

Dies: http://www.midwayusa.com/product/11...die-set-577-450-martini-henry-1-1-4-12-thread

The forming goes better if you size the 24 Gauge brass to .577 Snider first (most folks that shoot Martini have Snider as well) although it can be done directly. Thorough annealing is the key to getting the Magtech brass to be workable. Direct from the box it is almost as hard as steel.

Back
Top Bottom