• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What range to join, Mansfield F&G? Taunton rifle? Ames Rifle?

SJan

NES Member
Ok so I want to join a range. I let my membership at American Firearms school in N Attleboro expire because I've been meaning to join a club that offers indoor and outdoor 100+ yard shooting. I live in Attleboro and my place of work in Foxboro is very close to Mansfield fish and game. Their location is great for me, their facilities look good however their indoor range is still being built and does not appear to be completed anytime soon. Taunton rifle club, a little further away, has indoor and outdoor ranges that look very nice. Also Ames rifle club in N Easton has very appealing ranges to offer.

Any members of these clubs want to chime in and tell me more about them?

Mansfield only is up to 100 yards, so if that is important the others have longer shooting.

Can also look at club in Foxboro, club in Attleboro.

Mansfield's indoor setup is in the design review stage.

Figure out the type of shooting as well and it will narrow down your choices.

All have websites, or are linked to national or local club lists.

Mansfield's site, http://www.mansfieldfish.com/, is convenient for Attleboro, Foxboro.

Attleboro's is off 95, Foxboro's is off the path at the Attleboro line. Ames is a diversion for you in driving, through good traffic. Taunton can be a hike from where you drive. See the write-ups as well in the club forum.

I am in Mansfield F&G.

Dana

Others to consider and check out:

- Independent in Foxboro

- Angletree in Attleboro

There may be others in the area, but I'm not aware of them.

I am not interested in Angletree in Attleboro, but this is the first I have heard of Independent in Foxboro. I have looked at the web sites for all of the above clubs, and plenty of internet searches for each. I

I just can't quite decide on one yet. I was hoping to get some responses along the lines of "I am a member at 'X' and its great and you should join because ...."

Maybe tell you a little more about myself, I have been shooting mostly pistol, but own a few rifles now and want to shoot them more. I think shooing at steel or pins instead of just paper is great. Never really done trap or skeet shooting but willing to give it a try. Getting into USPCA or IDPA shooting is something I would like to do in the next year or so. Having an indoor range available 24/7 is a fantastic feature.

From what you describe, you may not need 100+ yards. Indpendent runs a lot of shoots. You don't need them for shotgun as you could go there without joining but you could join there for hte other reasons.

Mansfield doesn't have trap or skeet but you can shoot shotguns as shot or slugs. They have a clay pidgeon thrower that can be set up when others aren't shooting on the range. You can shoot at more than paper at Mansfield.

No indoor range in Mansfield as of now.

Ames has variety too if you drove that far. It is probably more what you really want to do most of the time.

I can tell you Mansfield is a good club and convenient for your home and work, but not for indoor shooting.

Dana

...I've been meaning to join a club that offers indoor and outdoor 100+ yard shooting. I live in Attleboro and my place of work in Foxboro is very close to Mansfield fish and game. ---SJan
Neither Independent nor Mansfield offers an indoor range.

Independent is mainly a shotgun club and offers a 100yd rifle and 25yd pistol range. They have a good archery program (woods stalking type of thing) and a very good Action Pistol program run by some great people.

Mansfield offers 100yd and 50yd ranges with all targets at the berm on the 100yd range. Mansfield has a black powder group and a intra-club bullseye group. Both groups are small.

Respectfully,

Jkelly

Maybe I should have read Dana's post before posting, sorry of the dupe.

I am a member of the Taunton Rifle and Pistol Club. They have a brand spanking new indoor range that is climate controlled and utilizes a wet bullet trap system as well as a top notch air filtration system. The best part is that it is open 24/7/365 using your card access. I routinely go there after 8 o'clock at night.

They also have several outdoor 50 and 100 meter ranges with covered firing positions, a trap range as well as 200/300 meter range. The 200/300 meter range is the reason why I joined since shooting AR-15's at 50 meters is not my idea of fun.

Last edited:
Taunton Rifle & Pistol **Great Club **

I left a club that I belonged to for over 15 years to join the Taunton Rifle & Pistol Club. Best decision I could have made. Great club with alot of good people. I really enjoy belonging to this club.

I have decided to join Mansfield fish and game. I was planning on attending the meeting tonight to apply for membership, but my jobs ran late today and I found myself still in western Massachusetts at 7pm. Seeing as I missed today’s directors’ meeting and I would rather not wait until the last Friday of next month to apply, Is there anyway I can possibly apply this weekend and attend next weeks general meeting? Any member willing to meet me sometime this weekend and maybe show me little tour of the range?

SJan, there should be a number of members at the club this weekend. The formality of Board of Directors voting you in still has to happen at the end of the month, but stopping by on Saturday or Sunday afternnoon would no doubt allow you to meet some of the club officers. There are also a lot of NES members in the club.

There probably isn't anything that would prevent you from going to the monthly meeting either. Just show up on time, like 6 or 6:15 and introduce yourself to a few people. They'll tell you who to talk to. Bring $5 and have dinner before the meeting at 7. I don't think you'll be asked to leave, we're a pretty friendly group. Tak to one of the board members, get an application and it shouldn't be all that hard.

As I told Bill yesterday, I think (but not 100% positive) that the BOD can be polled at the general meeting and someone can be voted in at that meeting. Critical to get in touch with the person on the Membership Committee BEFORE said meeting to (possibly) make this happen. Contact info is on the club website. www.mansfieldfish.com

I stopped in this afternoon, Dana was very helpful and showed me around. I also spoke with Fred about attending the general meeting on Wednesday and applying for membership. Thanks to all, looking forward to doing some shooting.

Sean

Thread,
I am in a similiar dilema. I live in North Easton & have the Ames Club just down the street or can go just a little ride to go to the Mansfield Club. I've just got my Class A Lic. & bought my first pistol for shooting enjoyment but at some time in the future hope to buy a rifle to shoot skeet & also take up archery again, but both are awhile off.
This economy is killing us all. The Mansfield Club offers a more affordable membership, but will mean winter practice shooting will be rough.I was very impressed by the respect for safety I found the few times I've been a guest at Mansfield. I've never practiced @ the Ames Club.
I would like to hear from married women out there the experiences they've had shooting @ both clubs by themselves. Thanks! honeybunch

Taunton looks very nice.. I belong to Ames Rifle and Pistol. The ranges are second to none! 50yd interactive / steel targets (heated). 100yds covered some swinging stell targets, multiple target holders, 300yds heated indoor range, indoor pistol and a 3D Archery course. You will never get bored or meet a greater group of people. Everyone is respectful of one another and polite. Usually you will find board members on Sat and Sunday, membership apps in the club house. You will not be dissapointed.

Ames Rifle and Pistol is having open house meetings during the summer. I heard the fliers have been passed around, check the web site for more info. Summer = BBQ meetings!

Back
Top Bottom