What paint for filling in etched safety symbols in metal lower reciever?

I was wondering what paint anyone here has used to fill in the etched safety marks, numbers, etc, on rifle lower reciever?

I want to use some red and white paint on my rifle safety symbols on my lowers. I was looking at the "testors brand" enamel paint....anyone try this? Would you want oil based or acrylic? My guess is oil based? If anyone has used "Testors Enamel" is it oil based?

Thank you for any information.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220508-104934_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220508-104934_Chrome.jpg
    143.5 KB · Views: 1
Or, you could use a couple Markal Lacquer-Stiks, which are made for filling in engraving.

61XpE1zVSXL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Smear into the engraving, wipe surface with thinner soaked rag, will leave the lacquer in the engraving.

I have used this on some guns (sights):

Attachments

• 3B17E5DC-9E50-4758-B0AE-D70DBD3876CD.jpeg
    3B17E5DC-9E50-4758-B0AE-D70DBD3876CD.jpeg
    36.8 KB · Views: 4
I've seen grease pencils made for this purpose. I'd use that first to ensure that you like the look prior to using something permanent on your firearm.

I used nail polish as well and it worked fine. However, I didn't shoot this gun heavily, so no idea how it holds up to heavy usage.

clean it with alcohol and then automotive touch up paint. it's designed to resist oil.
1652027034567.png

I was wondering what paint anyone here has used to fill in the etched safety marks, numbers, etc, on rifle lower reciever?
On our RugerMk III 22/45 target pistol,
I painted the "F" red and the "S" white.

I cleaned off the metal (wonder if I used
my RX3200 Electronics Wash spray alcohol?),
and then painted it with these paint pens
from the Michael's craft store next to the Harbor Freight
on the south side of Rt. 101A in Amherst:

(No, I didn't buy a 12-pack of pen sets - just a single pack of 6 colors).

The paint was still there the last I looked,
although it's not a carry gun.

Or, you could use a couple Markal Lacquer-Stiks, which are made for filling in engraving.

61XpE1zVSXL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Smear into the engraving, wipe surface with thinner soaked rag, will leave the lacquer in the engraving.
Thank you....just ordered some.

Last edited:
Crayon has been my go-to in the past. I crayon'd the caliber markings of my 9 and 40 Glock mags. Made it easier to grab the right ones. Stayed on for years.

I want to use some red and white paint on my rifle safety symbols on my lowers. I was looking at the "testors brand" enamel paint....anyone try this? Would you want oil based or acrylic? My guess is oil based? If anyone has used "Testors Enamel" is it oil based?

Thank you for any information.
Look on you tube. I saw a video of a guy using testors paint and non acetone nail polish remover. Takes a little time but came out great. I’ve colored front sights with bright red nail polish. Very durable. Tooth picks work well for dripping in the paint.

Back
Top Bottom