• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What optic do you run on your mp5 clone?

I bought a PTR mp5 clone recently, and was looking for advice on optics. I want to get a setup where the optic sits above the iron sights so I can use both and can do <100 yards (prob. 50 at most) plinking. Does anyone else have a setup similar to what I described? Is there anything I should know before slapping on something that sits really high on my PTR?

I run pretty much Eotechs and Aimpoints exclusively at this point on my rifles. I have a lot of time behind my uncle's pre-86 MP5 full auto, and suggested he put an Eotech XPS2 on it. We both love the set up.

I run pretty much Eotechs and Aimpoints exclusively at this point on my rifles. I have a lot of time behind my uncle's pre-86 MP5 full auto, and suggested he put an Eotech XPS2 on it. We both love the set up.
How did he set it up? Can you still see the front sight hood through the optic like this? Not my PTR's, but these setups are what I'm looking to avoid.
1654009358596.png

1654009235124.png

I love the irons on the mp5 so most of the time that’s all I run.

Sometimes she’ll sport an MRO though. Would rather a T2 but those are sitting on AR’s.

Holosun 507 with a Scalarworks 1.42” mount, on a hkpro ultra low picatinny rail.

I can easily see the iron sights through the mount, and the optic is at a great heads-up height with the A2 stock.

This setup would work with any RMR, Micro, or ACRO pattern optic too with the respective mount.

I’m not sure if the setup will still work with the PTR’s welded picatinny section, but I’d wager it would still work.

456A1FF8-7628-47FF-87D9-DC8D48306780.jpeg

Some quick shots, couldn’t focus well looking through the iron sights.
40EB675F-2688-4532-A7AF-FD1389E2C772.jpeg
E6BE02CB-FEA0-4A03-8B40-35317820F355.jpeg

Last edited:
Holosun 507 with a Scalarworks 1.42” mount, on a hkpro ultra low picatinny rail.

I can easily see the iron sights through the mount, and the optic is at a great heads-up height with the A2 stock.

This setup would work with any RMR, Micro, or ACRO pattern optic too with the respective mount.

I’m not sure if the setup will still work with the PTR’s welded picatinny section, but I’d wager it would still work.

View attachment 621630

Some quick shots, couldn’t focus well looking through the iron sights.
View attachment 621647
View attachment 621648
Nice, do you know the exact model of the 1.42" mount or where I could get one similar to that? Also, do you have trouble picking up the dot at all? I have some astigmatism so some optics don't work out the best for me.

Nice, do you know the exact model of the 1.42" mount or where I could get one similar to that? Also, do you have trouble picking up the dot at all? I have some astigmatism so some optics don't work out the best for me.
Lots of places sell Scalarworks mounts. And they offer several 1.42” mounts, for RMR, micro/T2, ACRO, and MRO footprints: Quick-Detach Mounts > SCALARWORKS

I don’t have any issue with the dot. For me, it comes up at exactly the right height for my eye. I also have some astigmatism, but red dots don’t really bother me.

If you do have issues with red dots, unfortunately there is no Scalarworks mount like these for the mini ACOG mount that the Primary Arms 1x prism uses. But maybe some other company has a mount for it that allows the use of the irons too.

Lots of places sell Scalarworks mounts. And they offer several 1.42” mounts, for RMR, micro/T2, ACRO, and MRO footprints: Quick-Detach Mounts > SCALARWORKS

I don’t have any issue with the dot. For me, it comes up at exactly the right height for my eye. I also have some astigmatism, but red dots don’t really bother me.

If you do have issues with red dots, unfortunately there is no Scalarworks mount like these for the mini ACOG mount that the Primary Arms 1x prism uses. But maybe some other company has a mount for it that allows the use of the irons too.
So with your setup, you don't see the irons at all under your holosun and the iron sight view isn't obstructed at all? I was thinking of doing 1.57" just to be safe.

So with your setup, you don't see the irons at all under your holosun and the iron sight view isn't obstructed at all? I was thinking of doing 1.57" just to be safe.
Yes, the irons out of your line of sight while using the dot. It’s very natural for me to raise the gun up and keep my head mostly upright, and the dot is right there. But if I want to use the irons, I tuck my head down exactly as you normally would with the iron sights, and the optic doesn’t block it.

1.57” would probably work just fine for you. I went with 1.42” because I already had the mount and figured I’d try it.

With the mount he is using, it clears the hood. You could also try the EXPS2 which has the higher base with the QD lever.

Been looking at this...

It says this rail riser goes 0.70 inches high, will it still be enough to clear the irons?

I've just started playing with this, as I picked up an AP5 last week. I put a Sig Romeo on a high mount just because I had one laying around and the irons are usable sighting through the mount. I'm not sure I'm a fan though. I'm thinking of getting a Shield SMS2 with a single claw mount. It's light, lets you dump the rail and gives you absolute cowitness. Atlantic has a good price. Shield SMS2 Red Dot Optic SALE - AtlanticFirearms.com

Back
Top Bottom