• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What NOT to do

JimConway

Instructor
I saw on the Second Amendment Sisters Tn Chapter site. It has since been removed. Any comments? Hint: There is more than one problem

Attachments

• SASsiteAlignment.jpg
    SASsiteAlignment.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 364
yeah all that ...and finger on trigger, and horrible grip, and instructor's charges have at least one other handgun closed and pointed in hand - with him downrange (and which way IS downrange?).

...and if someone put this together as a joke with "toy" guns, it still fails all the safety rules anyhow.

Fun times!

I remember one American Shooter episode from a concealed carry class for women a number of years back, that I think was taped in TN. The instructor said that many people have a phobia about pointing a gun at a person, so he had each of his students point their gun at him. I wonder if this is the same guy? Not a training technique that I agree with, needless to say.

Did anyone see the second woman handling a gun?
How do you like the tea cup grip?

What the instructor was doing was checking sight allignment. This is true. It is an old technique, that can be very useful with certain students. This technique is best done with a blue gun and, if necessary, with an empty gun with the slide locked back or a revolver with the cylinder opened and empty. This technique that it is almost unknown today and I am not going to fill in the gaps and explain it any further for safety and secrecy reasons.
If no one knows about it then Neshooters, LLC can invent it and name it

Did anyone see the second woman handling a gun?
Yeah, that's what I was talking about. Good calls on the eyes and ears, folks. They are so automatic for me that I completely missed it.

Yeah, that's what I was talking about. Good calls on the eyes and ears, folks. They are so automatic for me that I completely missed it.

In the instructor's defense, he was undoubtedly not doing live fire at this point, so he could have dispensed with the ears for better communication.

What the instructor was doing was checking sight alignment.

I think I'd be inclined to let her continue to miss the targets rather than point a gun in my face.

I have a pistol with a laser co-witnessed to proper sight alignment at the distance we shoot. If I think someone's having sight alignment issues, I'll work with him/her using that as a tool to correct it.

reminds me of the guy who did my LTC class. He was more interested in teaching self defense tactics to myself and my girlfriend then firearms safety/law.

At one point he had me dry firing a DAO pistol at him in one of his demonstrations ! [shocked].

Is that instructor an NES member?

I saw this discussed on another forum. If I remember right, it was in Tennessee. The idiot instructor is apparently pretty connected in security circles, so a bunch of people get stuck with him

hollewud7;808919At one point he had me dry firing a DAO pistol at him in one of his demonstrations ! [shocked said:

You did it? I probably would have walked out.

I saw this discussed on another forum. If I remember right, it was in Tennessee. The idiot instructor is apparently pretty connected in security circles, so a bunch of people get stuck with him

You did it? I probably would have walked out.

I know, I should have at least not done it.

At one point he had me dry firing a DAO pistol at him in one of his demonstrations ! [shocked].

I would not be able to do that! Even if the guy put a thousand bucks on the table for me and told me he had checked the gun a thousand ways to Sunday! It is just too ingrained in me.

I guess this is why we still hear stories about "so and so pointed an unloaded gun to his wife's head...will be araigned on manslaughter charges next week..."

While Neshooters does not this technique very often, it a very effective way for the instructor to verify sight alignment and sight picture. When do use this technique with a student, we always use a blue gun or a Glock with a plastic training barrel. The plastic training barrel is available from Blade-Tech at http://www.blade-tech.com/Training-Barrel-pr-1018.html I agree that using a real operable firearm is a risk the no one should ever take

that method of checking sight alignment was used with all students in the basic pistol class I took... didn't like it then either...

With a live gun? That's insanity. It was used in my basic pistol class too, but it was with a blue gun and even then the instructors asked if we were OK with it. Every instructor I've trained with asks before a blue/red gun or airsoft or anything like that gets pointed at anyone.

Back
Top Bottom