• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What Not To Do When You Find An Old Grenade

"After coming across the relic, someone had allegedly pulled the pin on the grenade, setting off the explosion."

I'm stereotyping here, but I'm thinking Dad took one for his 14yo son's stupidity.
Absolutely would've been the case if me and my dad found that when i was 14 going through my grandparents stuff

"After coming across the relic, someone had allegedly pulled the pin on the grenade, setting off the explosion."

I'm stereotyping here, but I'm thinking Dad took one for his 14yo son's stupidity.

It isn't like he covered for him. . . . well, I mean after the fact. Hard to obfuscate the truth when you're unconscious then dead.

But hte fact that Dad is dead and the kids just have shrapnel injuries indicates more the dad had hte grenade instead of dad jumping on grenade after 14yo pulls the pin.

Those pins aren't easy to pull.

It isn't like he covered for him. . . . well, I mean after the fact. Hard to obfuscate the truth when you're unconscious then dead.

But hte fact that Dad is dead and the kids just have shrapnel injuries indicates more the dad had hte grenade instead of dad jumping on grenade after 14yo pulls the pin.

Those pins aren't easy to pull.
Not difficult at all if they’ve been prepped first, or were left prepped and taped by someone else who knew what they were doing, IE Old Grandad.

Perhaps someone milked the spoon while the pin was out.
i would bet on the kid to lift the grenade by the pin out of the box. if it was indeed taped - that would do it.

a practical outcome of a 'ban it all' against 'explain in the class of how it works' thing.

Is that police report talk or are they saying the kids are telling them the father pulled the pin?

Who knows? Dad's dead and the kids are in the hospital, where they're presumably not talking to the press. I'm sure Mom has some idea, but who knows what they told her as they were being rushed to the hospital? Or whether they knew what they were talking about? Or whether she heard them or misinterpreted them? Or whether the same thing goes for the 5-O?

Bear in mind, when reading about this, that virtually everybody who's never been in the military has NO IDEA how grenades actually work, other than the Hollywood version. They think they're these massively powerful things that wipe out whole grid squares, and that you can pull the pin with your teeth. That probably goes for the police, as well, in a lot of cases.

This is Current Event #45,833,801 that we're never going to get "the whole story" about.

virtually everybody who's never been in the military has NO IDEA how grenades actually work, other than the Hollywood version
the thing has hidden wings, as nothing ever flew that far away ever in my life never before and never again.
:)

the thing has hidden wings, as nothing ever flew that far away ever in my life never before and never again.
:)

I was very eager to get rid of those MFers.

It never really failed to amaze me how hard those pins are to pull, unless you bend them first.

i would bet on the kid to lift the grenade by the pin out of the box. if it was indeed taped - that would do it.

a practical outcome of a 'ban it all' against 'explain in the class of how it works' thing.
This is why the safety clip should be left on grenades in storage.

In days of old, soldiers returning from a war zone deployment were treated as honored heroes,, given forms to take home "War trophies" and the idea of searching them on a routing basis would have been anathema.

These days, returning soldiers are treated as smuggling suspects. As one veteran of the Iraq war told me "not so much as a grain of sand" could be taken as a souvenir and the search was very thorough. He was not charged, but had an Iraqi ID card he got from a POW in exchange for his sammich was discovered in the search and confiscated.

I was very eager to get rid of those MFers.

It never really failed to amaze me how hard those pins are to pull, unless you bend them first.
they are for sure not made to be pulled out accidentally, so, who knows how they managed to set that inherited grenade. if it was a 50-60 years old, who knows.

Who knows? Dad's dead and the kids are in the hospital, where they're presumably not talking to the press. I'm sure Mom has some idea, but who knows what they told her as they were being rushed to the hospital? Or whether they knew what they were talking about? Or whether she heard them or misinterpreted them? Or whether the same thing goes for the 5-O?

Just that if they truly didn't know anything, they wouldn't say someone pulled the pin.

Just that if they truly didn't know anything, they wouldn't say someone pulled the pin.

When I read the article, my assumption was that they found the pulled pin, either on the ground or on someone's finger.

Who knows? I'm generally not convinced that journalists know these terms either, other than from Call Of Duty. Or if they happen to be veterans.

This is why the safety clip should be left on grenades in storage.
From the news article, we have no idea what kind of grenade it was. The article says they were rummaging through the belongings of "a grandfather"; it could have been a great-grand from WWII/Korea era.

The M67 has a safety clip; the M33 and M26 did not. The Mk2 did not.

it seems idiotic.
but remember, WE grew up watching Sarge, Kirby, and Cage pulling pins and throwing grenades at krouts on Combat every afternoon after school.
heck, we even learned how to throw a german grenade too!

this guy never probably saw one, never knew how they work. Assumed it had been disarmed.

in some ways, the world is getting dumber every day

it seems idiotic.
but remember, WE grew up watching Sarge, Kirby, and Cage pulling pins and throwing grenades at krouts on Combat every afternoon after school.
heck, we even learned how to throw a german grenade too!

this guy never probably saw one, never knew how they work. Assumed it had been disarmed.

in some ways, the world is getting dumber every day
Well, the father won’t ever get any dumber.

Still hope for the kids though.

If it was me, I'd put my body between the grenade and my child and that decision would require just the dark uninteresting corner of one brain cell while the rest hope and pray for the best.
Edit: (if someone else stupidly pulled the pin)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom