1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2. NES Life memberships are now available, click here for details.

Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

What mechanics tools to buy.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Knob Creek, Dec 10, 2017.

1. Parker Duofold

Parker Duofold NES Member

My SK 1/4" drive ratchet is a POS. Maybe I should send it back to SK.

2. Fixxah

Fixxah NES Member

Husky is fine. Still have the set my parents gave me in the mid 70's.

3. mwalsh9152

mwalsh9152

I don't know if I'd list Nick at the top. My money is definitely on Billy though.

4. mac1911

mac1911 NES Member

I have a older set 10+years of the impact swivel sockets. A few recently replaced broken sockets where short lived same sockets broke again with in 5 months.

5. Mr.E

Mr.E

The problem with alot of the Husky/Kobalt (depends on whether you go to lowes or HD) is that most of their sockets in their kits are generally 12 point. I can't think of a better way to strip a tough to reach nut or bolt then to go to a 12 point..Are they useful, yes, but in the right situation..I had to search high and low to buy a kit last year where the 6 points outnumbered the 12. Of course there are other issues when you buy a complete kit anyways.

6. Winchester73

Winchester73

If you're not prone to loosing tools than buy Snap-On. I own Snap-On wrenches that my father used to use from the 50's and 60's that still fit tightly. As far as 6-point versus 12-point, sometimes clearance issues will dictate which you must use and Snap-On 12 point wrenches and sockets have never failed on me, unlike other brands.

Like they say-"pay once, cry once."

7. Lsgun1

Lsgun1

Buy a used Snap On set from ebay. Plenty of guys get in the trade and want to get out quickly. If the set is beat just break all the sockets in a vice and send them to snap on for new ones.

8. W.E.C

W.E.C NES Member

Pay twice spend 20% total for tools and buy yourself a hot Sunday vintage car with the savings.

9. Sentenza

Sentenza

Two pages and not one Spiccoli quote....Relax man...my Old Man is a television repairman he has an ultimate set of tools.

10. endus

endus NES Member

I have lots of craftsman tools, including more recent ratchets. The quality is fine, though the future of the Craftsman brand is a bit of a question!

I've had ingersol rand impact sockets for a long time. Good stuff.

11. Woodstock

Woodstock NES Member

Is Proto still around? I have a set of 3/8" sockets and a 1/4" ratchet from the early 70's that still look and work as good as the Snap-Ons in my box. There was also a Challenger line which may have been made by Proto, but didn't have a nice chrome finish like Proto.

12. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA NES Member

Depends on what you need it for.

Truth be told, Harbor Freight makes some tools that a homer-owner would NEVER wear out. Ever.

I've got a set of Lowe's brand (blue - whateveritis) ratchets. They replaced the old (SK?) set that I inherited from my grandfatehr-in-law. There was nothing wrong with the old ones except no long ratchets and no decent case. They had this sheet-metal case and separate ratchet enclosures that if you bumped them would dump all the parts out. Sitting in the bucket UNDER the nice blue plastic case for the Lowe's ones.

13. Paul455

Paul455 NES Member

Since I am totally against chineseum stuff, I will go to flea markets and yard sales to find old school USA made tools.

The quality of the USA made stuff of yesteryear is head and shoulders above what comes out of the far east.

A good example is Wilton, a vice maker for decades. Their USA made stuff is virtually indestructible, while their off shore stuff is junky.

Harbor Freight is crap.

14. appraiser

appraiser NES Member

Well Stanley Black & Decker bought the brand name from Sears Holdings, and as I said above not only do they make Stanley tools, but they own MAC tools, and Dewalt, and Proto, and Irwin ( Vice Grips ) and Bostich, and Porter Cable and ....

http://www.stanleyblackanddecker.com/our-businesses/tools-and-storage

15. appraiser

appraiser NES Member

see post above

16. Ink

Ink

I have worn out nearly every brand known to man. S-K makes THE best 1/4" drive ratchets. Period. I would get an S-K set.
    better than MAC, Snap-On, Cornwel, Craftsman, etc.....

17. PaulR

PaulR NES Member

OP (and any other tool/garage junkies) should check out the Garage Journal Message board. I haven't been there in a number of years, will go back some day soon, but it was always the chit. INSANE garages, great advice, lots of knowledge.

18. Tooth

Tooth NES Member

Quality tools has been an issue for me. I hardly ever use them, but when I do I want to use quality stuff. Hard to justify, so I have a real mixed bag when it comes to tools.