• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What magnification do you use?

d95983f947ada7009b8d83fe3ba4cd35.jpg
c2311c89709479b6e332eb31e1c98c32.jpg

I went back to the range today. Almost same conditions, today had slighly more wind than yesterday.
I threw a Geissele Rapid fire trigger in the gun and also swapped the Burris TAC 30 scope for a Nikon Prostaff 2.5-10x. Much better results today. I did start off cranking the scope all the way up to 10x, but had it down to 4x by the end of the trip.
I would agree the scope I had on there yesterday just wasn't right for the application.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Other than jason, don't any of you guys use iron sights anymore?

On my M1A I use irons, I did scope it cause my eyes aren't as young as they once were but I like the irons better. My AR came as a flat top with a railed gas block so I used the scope I bought for the M1A and my .22 needs to get tapped for a front sight(eventually) so I can put some tech sights on it.

I have a bunch of rifles with iron sights. I just wanted to know what everyone uses at 100 yards, because I feel with the big scopes, they tend to make me "lazy"

I have a leupold VX6-1-6 with a fire dot on a Colt CCR. At 100 yards, both 4x and 6x work great. 6x almost feels a bit like cheating. I prefer iron sights to scopes though.

Irons on my Ruger 44mag carbine, Steven 22lr and my Thompson center .56 ML. Scope and 45 off set irons on my 5.56 ar. Scope on my 6.5 Grendel, my 17HMR, and my .50 ML.

In low light hunting applications a decent scope will let you take a shot with less light then irons will.

Irons on my Ruger 44mag carbine, Steven 22lr and my Thompson center .56 ML. Scope and 45 off set irons on my 5.56 ar. Scope on my 6.5 Grendel, my 17HMR, and my .50 ML.

In low light hunting applications a decent scope will let you take a shot with less light then irons will.

I tried an aimpoint "once " for hunting. Terrible in low light.

I shoot mostly irons, M1, swiss k31 , k98, AR, mosin, 1903a3 its just getting hard to see the sights. I have a small corrective lense in my AR hood so I can see the front sight post and then a corrective lens for my shooting glasses for the other rifles. Its just getting harder each year to see that front post or rear notch.

Even with my corrective lens the rear notch style sights like on the mosin or K31 are hard to see even with my Rx I use for shooting. If I go stronger lens it gets hard to see down range.
I don't need my corrective lens if I shoot with front and rear aperture sights. Here is my next project as I just don't want to shoot with a scope on every gun.
also with these aperture sights you can buy inserts to help with your vision. You can put Rx corrective in the rear if you cant see the front sights and Rx corrective in the front to help see the targets.

I plan on shooting a 100 yard cmp match in the winter with this set up

but I also plan on putting a big target dot scope on my Remington 513T for a fun 100 yard 22lr "F class" shoot. thinking T36 with 1/8 dot
http://www.weaveroptics.com/optics/riflescopes/tseries_xr/

honestly though I might just put my vintage Léopold VXIII 2.5x8x32 on there and have fun

Last edited:
I love my peep sights - williams & US - awesome out to 600yds! I just go to the scopes when I want to drive myself koo-koo ;)

d95983f947ada7009b8d83fe3ba4cd35.jpg
c2311c89709479b6e332eb31e1c98c32.jpg

I went back to the range today. Almost same conditions, today had slighly more wind than yesterday.
I threw a Geissele Rapid fire trigger in the gun and also swapped the Burris TAC 30 scope for a Nikon Prostaff 2.5-10x. Much better results today. I did start off cranking the scope all the way up to 10x, but had it down to 4x by the end of the trip.
I would agree the scope I had on there yesterday just wasn't right for the application.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

nice ..... much better

- - - Updated - - -

Marine Corps we shot 600 yards with irons. That was with the M14. They didn't issue scopes back in the dark ages.
back when they taught you how to shoot.......

I tried an aimpoint "once " for hunting. Terrible in low light.
Arent most Aimpoints slightly Tinted. I find most red dots terrible for hunting situation. Heck sometimes I have to put tape over the fibers on my Sight on my bow because its so bright.

When did they stop?

I think the level of marksmanship has dropped off over the past few decades. At least that's the impression I get when the old and new military guys at the range start talking.

Maybe I'm wrong ?

Even accuracy standard have declined in the past 100 years....

I'm sure between electronic training devices and lack of funding live ammo shooting has probably declined.

It was just a little poke "better in the old days" [wink]

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom