• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What locks for Pelican 1750?

So I bought a Pelican 1750 Rifle Case. Mainly so it can hold my PRS / hunting rifle with the oversized scope with the long sun shield on it while leaving my bi-pod attached. Its a bonus that I can also have a few empty mags and rangefinder in there.

At some point I plan to be on a plane with it so I would like the airlines / TSA to be ok with what I pick

Question 1. Anyone know what hasp length I need to be be just long enough to fit, so if the latches open it minimizes the amount case can open?

Question 2. Will the TSA / Airline want four locks on the case? Or is just two enough, one at each end? (using two is what I will do going to range or going to camp (which is across most of MA, maybe parts of NH and VT, and definitely NY) Being a bolt action long gun NH, VT and NY won't care about locked case so long as it is unloaded.

Question 3. Any problem flying with the locks being combination instead of keyed locks? (I prefer combination.)

I don't think you want TSA combo locks for flying with a firearm. You want keyed or combo locks that only you open, once you open the case and declare at the baggage counter, you just lock it and take the keys. I would put 4 locks on it. Obviously choose a short enough hasp so that it's secure and can't be opened.

Bows and other equipment use TSA locks for. I did used combo TSA locks for my bow. I only did two.

I just flew with my bow, and anything that looks like its a gun or in an expensive case, a rep will meet you at baggage claim and ID you for. I had zero problems with Southwest. They did not charge me an oversize fee, though technically they could have, as their literature stated it was too long and too wide. I've heard SW is pretty good about that.

Be aware, some Rifle/Bow case sizes are being now charged as oversize luggage, and you pay an extra fee on some carriers. The general rule of thumb is LXWXD, must not go over 62". Mine did, and I didn't have any issues, but I've heard Delta and others
may get out the tape measure. If worried about it fly SW...the bags are free, airline not so good, but sometimes you have to.

Last edited:
I bough a four pack set of pad locks from home despot and they work great and are all the same key.
I dont se the exact ones listed on the site any more but they work for my 1720

Don't get TSA locks.

That defeats the purpose of having a secure container.

I agree with the above post by DarthRevan.

Home Despot has locks that are good enough.

If you bought $70 x 4 high security locks from Assa Abloy - the locks wont break but with bolt cutters, a thief can crack the plastic on the case. They can use a drill also.

I think it would be unlikely that Master type locks would be cracked so fast while the case is being transported.

Edit:

You could actually bring your case into home depot to make sure your lock fits as you want.

I use brass master locks that I wrap in black tape (to look a little less obvious).
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0009V1WLQ/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I get a set of four and use three at a time and keep the fourth one as a spare just incase they cut the locks and I need a back up.
All small keyed locks are garbage and can be picked in by anyone who knows what they are doing in no time. Having three helps slow someone down and will fully secure the opening of the lid.
DONT USE TSA LOCKS!!!!
The TSA will asked to have the box unlocked and locked only once to be inspected. I have heard from firearms trainers that have used TSA locks and have had guns monkeyed with and damaged in transit.

Back
Top Bottom