• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What length AR stock for small shooter?

Chuck

NES Member
Hi,

Anyone have any experience on what the proper length an adjustable stock should be pinned for a 5'2" shooter? I want to get either an adjustable stock or a stubby for my wife's NES AR15.

cheers,
Chuck

It depends on how long her arms are, etc. I'm guessing it'll be either the fully closed position, or maybe position 1 or 2 (on a 6POS).

Best way to find out is to go to a store with a preban collapsible and see how long she needs it.

It depends on how long her arms are, etc. I'm guessing it'll be either the fully closed position, or maybe position 1 or 2 (on a 6POS).

Best way to find out is to go to a store with a preban collapsible and see how long she needs it.

Not necessarily the best way to determine position, (arm length), but not a bad start. Just buy a collapsable stock, put it on the receiver and see where she's comfortable with it - then pin it yourself. I'm 6'4" and have long arms and I like position 2, because I like to have my nose right up on the receiver. I decided to go fixed and got a Sully....

It might be beneficial to wear the same hearing protection that she normally uses too, sometimes muffs make a stock a pain in the ass to use.

Just buy a collapsable stock, put it on the receiver and see where she's comfortable with it

I'd love to. But isn't that illegal in this fine state of ours?

Even if its only in my workshop without the barrel!

-= chuck

Last edited:
I'd love to. But isn't that illegal in this fine state of ours?

Even if its only in my workshop without the barrel!

-= chuck

As you're assembling the stock to be pinned in full compliance with the wisdom of the law, adjust it to a point where it's comfortable for your dearest and pin it there....A gun is not a gun until it's a gun.....[wink]

stock

I was taught to put the but of the rifle in my elbow, and then adjust length of pull so that I can easily put my finger around the trigger without stretching. I use an A1 stock as it gets the length of pull back to 12" from 13 1/2". I used this method to set up my smallbore rifle and pickup 10 points from my early averages.

Not necessarily the best way to determine position, (arm length), but not a bad start. Just buy a collapsable stock, put it on the receiver and see where she's comfortable with it - then pin it yourself. I'm 6'4" and have long arms and I like position 2, because I like to have my nose right up on the receiver. I decided to go fixed and got a Sully....

Very true. I was more trying to make the point that height alone will not guarantee a good fit.

Two solutions for short armed shooters. You will also have to remember you are not fitting a $3000.00 O/U shot gun or rifle; there are some limitation with an AR. I have set up stocks for some of my customers with short arms.
1. Use an adjustable 6 Pos. stock, have them find a comfortable spot and pin the stock in that position.
2. Use a CQB A2 stock; this is an A2 stock that is 3.25 inches shorter than the standard A2 stock. If this is too short I add a 1 inch spacer between the lower receiver and the stock.
I pin stocks for $15.00 and I also have the CQB stock and spacer and 6 Pos. stocks in stock.
John

Chuck, Shortey had the same problem. She has a Colt LW Target AR w/an A2 stock, but she's 4'11''. She looked into pinning a 6 position stock, but got so many different answers about what was/wasn't legal, it got very discouraging.

She ended up ordering a 7'' skeletonized stock from Steve at the Shooter's Box. It came in this week, and he helped her install it last night. I haven't gotten a range report from her yet, but she really liked the look, feel and weight of it.

I can't make any promises for sure, but Ill bet she wouldn't have any problem letting your wife try it out. Just PM me if you're interested.

Back
Top Bottom