• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What kind of fanboy are you?

I've rolled my eyes over threads on NES when a new gun owner is discussing how much 9mm ammo to stockpile for a WROL situation. Yeah......guy owns one 9mm handgun and considers himself a "prepper". Dude.......what the hell are you going to do with a handgun and 10,000 rounds of 9mm? Take the $ your spending on stockpiles of 9mm and buy a damn rifle. My usual response to such nonsense is:

a handgun keeps a**h***s off your person
a shotgun keeps a**h***s out of your home
a rifle keeps a**h***s off your property
FIFY

I have forgotten more makes and models that I have owned over the last 40 years, that said, I like them all, but the one platform that I have always had at least one of all those years, is a 1911, more accurate than most people can shoot, not that hard to conceal when done right, and enough capacity for an average confrontation, short of a Zombie attack. Guess I am showing my age.

I've rolled my eyes over threads on NES when a new gun owner is discussing how much 9mm ammo to stockpile for a WROL situation. Yeah......guy owns one 9mm handgun and considers himself a "prepper". Dude.......what the hell are you going to do with a handgun and 10,000 rounds of 9mm? Take the $ your spending on stockpiles of 9mm and buy a damn rifle. My usual response to such nonsense is:

a handgun keeps a**h***s off your person
a shotgun keeps a**h***s out of your home
a rifle keeps a**h***s off your property

It's a very famous quote "handguns are what you use to get to your rifle"

anyhow, back to "fanboys"...

Glocks are UGLY but I carry Glocks because they work. I was shooting a Colt Defender one day in competition and it went click when it should have gone BANG. That was the turning point for me.

I bought a G34 as my first Glock and I've since bought about 8 more. I carry either a G43 or a G17. Replaced the triggers and the sights on all of them. They're still ugly, but they just work and for a carry gun that's what I need. I know guys that switch around their carry guns; I'm not comfortable doing that. I don't want any fumbling if I need to use my firearm. I've seen guys on the range draw and then stand there while they fumble with the safety, or slowly deal with a malfunction. My carry guns in GA are the same models as my carry guns in CT.

I picked up a XDM-9 the other day that a friend bought and it was sweet. I could see buying one of those just because... It felt more refined than my Glocks. But it won't do the job any more efficiently than my carry guns.

Then I've got a BUNCH of handguns that are much more aesthetically pleasing. The finish on my GP100 revolver, the way the hammer drops smoothly; it's fun to shoot. Wouldn't want to carry it, but love shooting pins with it. My S&W 10 shot .22 revolver, same thing. My 1911's - the Kimber matched set - they're beautiful - and more accurate than I'll ever be. My S&W Stainless 1911. My little SS Colt Mustang, I've had that one probably 30 years...

Rifles... 1022 because tinkertoys.
an AR-15 or 2 or 3 or 6 - more tinkertoys.

Mossberg predator in .556 - what's not to like?

My CZ Drake OU in 20 Gauge. That's a neat gun. Simple, clean lines.
Goes really well with the lever action .38/.357 Rossi Carbine. Same sort of flow with the wood and metal.

Sht - I like them all.
Except for that POS SP101 .22 with the awful trigger.

Ruger Alaskan or Super black Hawk hunter in 44....I love those guns and as somebody else said about their M1, they smell nice.

I carry a G43 most of the time. With it I'm deadly at 25 yards, dangerous at 50 yards, annoying at 100 yards - and if you're 200 yards away? - I'm leaving. Seriously.

My role in life isn't to kill other people. It's to protect myself and my loved ones. If you're 200 yards away and shooting at me - I need to get to my truck and get my rifle or get to my truck and LEAVE. My Glock 43 isn't going to cut it.

I guess I'm odd... or maybe I've trained with people (including Derek) that host instructors that think it matters? Anyways... I think it's important to know the mechanical limit of a pistol in my hands with my carry ammo. :) :)

WOULD I shoot at something at 200 yards? Not likely at all. COULD I? Yup.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=36&v=IeH1-w_aSow

I carry a G43 most of the time. With it I'm deadly at 25 yards, dangerous at 50 yards, annoying at 100 yards - and if you're 200 yards away? - I'm leaving. Seriously.

My role in life isn't to kill other people. It's to protect myself and my loved ones. If you're 200 yards away and shooting at me - I need to get to my truck and get my rifle or get to my truck and LEAVE. My Glock 43 isn't going to cut it.

I don't know you, but I'd bet a week's pay that you're not as "deadly" at 25 yards as you think you are. To meet that standard, I would proffer that you need to CONSISTANTLY hit an A zone head shot at 25 yards. that's moderately difficult with a G17, tricky with a G19, and mighty hard with a G43. Most people can't make 5 shots touch at 5 yards, standing static without any distractions(like some mofo shooting back), yet proclaim that they can "get the job done" when they need to. I call bullshit. Part of the game is knowing your limitations, and shooting a pistol at 200 yards is an enormously humbling, and possibly a confidence building exercise. Plugging steel at 200 yards with a G19 isn't juat about jerking off to some John Mclane save the day LARP fantasy, its all about learning your gun and how you interact with it.

My role in life isn't to kill other people.

mxmzIcI.jpg

Back
Top Bottom