• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What is your preferred metal finish.

Not the land of the free but the home of the brave
I've noticed a lot of guys building their own guns from kits or just refinishing then. There are many new options that were not available 10-15 years ago. I'm getting back into guns after a long time. I was wondering the durability of these home finishes and what you prefer. My intrest is in newer military style fire arms. AK, AR and 1911. I was most interested in the newer methods I have seen here like DuraCoat/moly type, Engine paint or epoxy baked on. I've even heard of aluma coat on steel. Or if you have some other suggestion. What are the +'s/-'s. Thanks

most of the spray on bake on finishes really smell up the house. that's about the most -
I have done the gun kote, brownells moly coat on mags, and also the air cure gun kote.......took a long time to dry and never as tough as the bake on stuff. I had access to a oven in a garage which made it easy. I did the mags and some small parts in a toaster oven. I did a home parkerize on a few small handguns which was ok. Cold blue is mahI recommend cold blue for really small parts or redoing a rusted up gun that's not worth the drive to the pros but still functions and being shot.

the main key to any of them is preparation and follow the directions. The more controlled the conditions the better.

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/lid=11837/GunTechdetail/Brownells_Spray_On_Paint_Series

there are +/- to them all, I tend to avoid anything that needs mixing though. Also a decent air brush helps if you go that route.

Last edited:
Thanks. I have done a couple of bolt action rifles with Dicropan in the early 90's. It looked good and lasted well. But it was nasty to work with. That's how long ago its been. [smile] I've seen some builders here use engine spray paint or spray epoxy and bake them on. They seem to be the least expensive. How durable are those? I've seen people working on new Saiga rifles and they appear to have some type of spray finish not a traditional blue job. Is that accurate?

When I saw the title I thought this was going to be a cool discussion on the periodic table.

Favorite gun finish---Stainless Steal.

Favorite metal--AU

I have used cerakote H series extensively (and still do)and I can't praise it enough, I also have a 250 gallon Zinc phosphate tank for that "military" look, I use it at my shop for automotive parts but once and a while I drop a barrel in there by accident....It comes down to one thing...Surface Prep

Back
Top Bottom