• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What is your main SHTF (Apocolypse) gun/plan?

By the end of hunting each year my pack weighs .....oh.....about a thousand pounds, and looks like a couple of aisles from well stocked outdoor store...and none of it ever gets touched. My hunting partner (son) is lugging most of the same crap.....and we're almost always with-in fairly easy striking distance of the car.....next year's going to be different, I swear. Although if the bad does go to worst, now that I think of it there is at least a half roll of TP in a ziploc in that pile of stuff.
Omg I feel your pain. Years ago when I really started hunting I'd bring a backpack full of crap especially deer hunting. Last year I smartened up a bit realizing I was rarely more than 30 minutes walk from the truck and dropped down to me.....the long gun (depending on if it was shotgun or muzzie season) 5 extra shells or 3 front stuffer loads......a good knife......bottle of water......and a big ziplock bag for heart and liver with a small amount of shit paper in it just in case nature calls. I enjoyed last season much more.

My optimal plan was always to just hang in and ride out whatever is going on but a funny conversation happened the other day with a very close friend of mine who happens to have zero firearms. He asked me if I was thinking there was going to be an eventual breakdown of law and order in our area let alone the country, I told him quite frankly I didnt think so but I said the potential is there right here right now more than ever before. He looked at me seriously and told me how he knew I was well armed and asked me what I thought about ( insert his detailed offer here ) after a few minute conversation I actually feel much better about his offer than my plan of staying home. Basically what I’m saying is don’t brush of a conversation with friends or people you associate with because there is a chance that they could bring something to the table even though they might not be armed.

The real question is would you shoot the Frito Bandito if he came to your house to take your golden chips?

Frito Bandito

The original less politically correct (if that is possible) version.

I'll get them from you

Voiced by Mel Blanc, AKA the voice of Bugs Bunny.

Honestly, they will try to get you when coming into or out of your house. If it gets desperate enough they will try to burn you out, have a fire extinguisher and guns.
If you want to feel safer, don't buy Fritos.

My optimal plan was always to just hang in and ride out whatever is going on but a funny conversation happened the other day with a very close friend of mine who happens to have zero firearms. He asked me if I was thinking there was going to be an eventual breakdown of law and order in our area let alone the country, I told him quite frankly I didnt think so but I said the potential is there right here right now more than ever before. He looked at me seriously and told me how he knew I was well armed and asked me what I thought about ( insert his detailed offer here ) after a few minute conversation I actually feel much better about his offer than my plan of staying home. Basically what I’m saying is don’t brush of a conversation with friends or people you associate with because there is a chance that they could bring something to the table even though they might not be armed.

Did he then pull out his FBI badge and tell you about the wire he was wearing?

I'M KIDDING!

Some friends of mine own a little patch of a Northern New England state that happens to be 2A friendly. We've never discussed it in depth, but we both know that's our TEOTWAWKI objective. Probably, one of these days, I should actually have a more in-depth conversation about it, but there's no need yet. Or ever, probably; we're all pretty levelheaded guys.

Offer... interesting

I just got the Streamlight HL 1000 long gun kit for my Mossberg 590A1 (Blackwater edition), mounting up the kit today and moving it around with me throughout the day (I always have the Glock).
We are at End of Quarter, End of Month, and the start of week 3 of this craziness; this is where it gets interesting.

Off the topic but related to your post. I heard a story years ago about a SGM in Vietnam, showed up for formation allegedly out of uniform to greet the newly arrived and spit shined LT fresh out of school.

The LT admonished the SGM in front of the men, telling him he better be in full uniform for tomorrow’s morning formation.

As the story goes, the SGM showed up to the next formation completely naked, except for a pair of jump boots and a Medal of Honor around his neck.

Anyone know if there’s any truth to that story? For some reason I thought it was SGM Plumly?

Having a good skill set would be imperative in such a scenario as well as gathering close friends and family with the same skills. Hunters, survivalists, med staff, marksmen, those with cqb readiness, mechanics, woods people who have an in-depth knowledge of local flora/fauna, etc.

I would do what many others have offered and that is bug-in. Protect my family of 6 and watch the worst play out.

You suppose to have a plan? Interesting
I guess I could jump in the RV, Put the movie RV in for the kids and head to the back county and hope I don't have the same problems he had in RV.
That's my story and sticking to it.
Since I would be breaking the first rule of OPSEC and the wife would be pissed if we get there and all the beer is gone.

Off the topic but related to your post. I heard a story years ago about a SGM in Vietnam, showed up for formation allegedly out of uniform to greet the newly arrived and spit shined LT fresh out of school.

The LT admonished the SGM in front of the men, telling him he better be in full uniform for tomorrow’s morning formation.

As the story goes, the SGM showed up to the next formation completely naked, except for a pair of jump boots and a Medal of Honor around his neck.

Anyone know if there’s any truth to that story? For some reason I thought it was SGM Plumly?

Plumley didn't have an MoH. I think he didn't have anything north of a Silver Star.

Careful with the old guy stuff. Lots of them have much more experience at this than most and balls already proven to be made of steel. They already know what they are capable of. Most people talk the talk, but have yet to walk the walk. Hell of a way to discover that you picked the wrong house, or the wrong old guy.

Not to mention, a life sentence gets significantly less meaningful the older one gets. Not that it really is a factor in a shtf scenario. Some old people truely do not give a fuc* if things were good.

My main will also be my Mossberg 500. My plan is to bug in. We have mostly good people around us, and 400+ acres of good hunting grounds and water sources and trails that I know like the back of my hand right out my front door. Between myself and my good friend right up the street, and our families, we could pretty easily lock down the neighborhood and defend it.

Plumley didn't have an MoH. I think he didn't have anything north of a Silver Star.

His awards:

Medals, Awards and Badges

Silver Star Medal with Bronze Oak Leaf Cluster
Legion of Merit
Bronze Star Medal with Valor Device and Bronze Oak Leaf Cluster
Purple Heart with 3 Bronze Oak Leaf Clusters
Air Medal with Award Numeral 9
Army Commendation Medal with Valor Device
Army Good Conduct Medal with 1 Gold Knot (11 Awards)
American Campaign Medal
European-African-Middle Eastern Campaign Medal with Arrowhead Device, Silver and 3 Bronze Campaign Stars
World War II Victory Medal
Army of Occupation Medal
National Defense Service Medal with Bronze Star
Korean Service Medal with Arrowhead Device and 3 Bronze Stars
Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal
Vietnam Service Medal with Silver and 3 Bronze Campaign Stars
Vietnam Cross of Gallantry with Bronze Star
French Croix de Guerre (WWII Service)
Belgian Croix de Guerre (WWII Service)
United Nations Service Medal for Korea
Vietnam Campaign Medal
Republic of Korea War Service Medal
Army Presidential Unit Citation with 2 Bronze Oak Leaf Clusters
Army Meritorious Unit Commendation
Republic of Korea Presidential Unit Citation
Vietnam Gallantry Cross Unit Citation with Palm
Vietnam Civil Actions Medal
Combat Infantryman Badge with 2 Stars (3 Awards)
Master Parachutist Badge with Gold Star (Indicates 5 Combat Jumps)

He also received the Order of Saint Maurice Primicerius, Doughboy Award, and Vietnam Army Basic Parachutist Badge

That CIB with two stars is the impressive bit. For that era.

More than twenty years swapping bullets with the enemy. I know that's a rare one.

Plus, the guy had to work his way up to parachutes. Literally; in WWII, he was a gliderman. Two landings; not a job for the timid.

My main will also be my Mossberg 500. My plan is to bug in. We have mostly good people around us, and 400+ acres of good hunting grounds and water sources and trails that I know like the back of my hand right out my front door. Between myself and my good friend right up the street, and our families, we could pretty easily lock down the neighborhood and defend it.
Shotgun truly is the Survivor's weapon. Defense & Meat on the table...

Back
Top Bottom