• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What is your "Long Range" Rifle Platform?

I need to figure out the cost of the MagnetoSpeed when having to fire twice as many rounds for grouping/getting velocity when doing load development. It’s not insignificant. I feel like switching to Labradar is in my future.
My method with the 6 ARC was same as I used for 6.5 CM, .308, .30-06, and some other caliber load development. Once I found the optimum grouping load, I'd check via chrono that load and bracket with higher and lower loads. In all cases the best grouping load had the lowest SD and ES. True that the MagnetoSpeed changes POI and usually opens up the groups, but I only have to burn a few rounds to get the data. Given my reloading cost per round, it would take forever to justify the cost of a LabRadar. That said, a LabRadar would be nice to have.

I need to figure out the cost of the MagnetoSpeed when having to fire twice as many rounds for grouping/getting velocity when doing load development. It’s not insignificant. I feel like switching to Labradar is in my future.
1685298928982.png

no need to attach it to the barrel when you have arca or a 1913 rail to attach to. This cost me like $15 to make.

Attachments

• 1685298841276.png
    1685298841276.png
    58.3 KB · Views: 8
Lab radar is fantastic, easy to use and if you want to export your data to graph it you just put the SD card and it’s there.

Anybody use a Lab Radar to shoot long distance?

Thoughts, feedback? Vs the Magnetospeed that attaches to the bbl?

I prefer magneetospeed, they are extremely accurate and measure your exact mv which is really all you need to get accurate dope and true. The labradar would be awesome in conjunction with a magneetospeed but if you can only have one i want the one thats giving me the most concrete and critical data.

Lab radar is fantastic, easy to use and if you want to export your data to graph it you just put the SD card and it’s there.

SD Card? Is this the 90’s? So no direct bluetooth to phone or laptop? Do both Labradar & MS have Bluetooth to phone? My current Caldwell uploads groups direct to the phone so that functionality is non negotiable.

Also, not attaching to bbl so need to figure out using either pic or arca rails with MS.

Is Andiscan a third option? I need to google.

Cost isn’t a deciding factor.

Oh, being able to use with a suppressor is non-negotiable, which may rule the MS out? =\

@AllaSnackbah You shoot w cans, how does the MS get around the bulge of the can?
IMG_8167.jpeg

Last edited:
A quick google would have these answers for you but- yes, labradar has Bluetooth. I like the SD because I like to put the graphs on my desktop. Whatever gets you going

SD Card? Is this the 90’s? So no direct bluetooth to phone or laptop? Do both Labradar & MS have Bluetooth to phone? My current Caldwell uploads groups direct to the phone so that functionality is non negotiable.

Also, not attaching to bbl so need to figure out using either pic or arca rails with MS.

Oh, being able to use with a suppressor is non-negotiable, which may rule the MS out? =\

@AllaSnackbah You shoot w cans, how does the MS get around the bulge of the can?
View attachment 757321

I mount mine right to the can.

20230430_111322.jpg

Anybody use a Lab Radar to shoot long distance?

Thoughts, feedback? Vs the Magnetospeed that attaches to the bbl?
Love the Lab Radar.

I bought one maybe 3 months ago. I bought the trigger thing that attaches to the rifle. Didn't miss a single shot of the 172 I chronographed.

I did a lot of research, decided Lab Radar was superior. It is more flexible, it can be used with several types of guns.

View attachment 757321
Look online.

It uses an SD card and an app. I started a thread about it.

App:
Screenshot_20230528_202408_LabRadar.jpg

Screenshot_20230528_202429_LabRadar.jpg

Even with a small projectile it gets a reading almost out to 100 yards. Although sometimes it only gets it to 50 or 25. But that is expected with small projectiles and the user manual mentions it.

Screenshot_20230528_202807_LabRadar.jpg

Last edited:
Love the Lab Radar.

I bought one maybe 3 months ago. I bought the trigger thing that attaches to the rifle. Didn't miss a single shot of the 150 I chronographed.

I did a lot of research, decided Lab Radar was superior. It is more flexible, it can be used with several types of guns.
I guess now that I think of it, the only real complaint I’ve had regarding the labradar is some difficulty reading frangible. Everything else has been great.

Is LabRadar sensitive to the direction I have the rifle pointed, so that if I pivot from target to target across the range it will miss readings? I have maybe a 20 degree shooting window and my best shooting position is on a platform, that doesn't sound ideal for LabRadar.

Leaning towards MS at this point due to size & ease of use moving the rifle(s).

Is LabRadar sensitive to the direction I have the rifle pointed, so that if I pivot from target to target across the range it will miss readings? I have maybe a 20 degree shooting window and my best shooting position is on a platform, that doesn't sound ideal for LabRadar.

Yeah for passively collecting data as you shoot you want andiscan/ chassis mounted magneto. Magnetospeed is the popular choice in ELR to watch speeds during matches.

Not sure why you would want to do that while collecting data.

Collect data while shooting at one target. The bullets will exit your barrel at the same speed no matter where the target is.

The advantage of LabRadar is you can use it with handguns, muskets, rifles ... don't need to worry about barrel length and so on. That is why I chose it. If you want to move around the range and constantly collect data, get a MS.

Edit: I guess if you are trying to figure out why a shoot was low or high, then it would be useful and you would need to collect all data during the match.

Last edited:
Yeah for passively collecting data as you shoot you want andiscan/ chassis mounted magneto. Magnetospeed is the popular choice in ELR to watch speeds during matches.
ELR guys are shooting matches with the MagnetoSpeed mounted? I'd assume mounted to ARCA rail etc if yes.

Wow, even the F-Class guys don't do this. (At least not the ones I have seen).

I have a Vortex 1800 rangefinder, a razor spotting scope and I use the Hornady app on my phone for ballistics.

I was thinking about getting a kestrel with AB for ballistics, but does it make better sense to upgrade my rangefinder with something that has AB integrated? Like the Sig Kilo 8K or the Revic BR4?

I eventually plan to get nice binos to replace the spotter, but that will have to wait.

That’s exactly what I want it for.
In Florida, we tend to get crazy weather in terms of heat, humidity, & pressure. Enough to affect velocity with sensitive powders, so upgrading the Chrono is to passively collect data while shooting.

I have the Caldwell for initial data collection now. The upgrade is to enable passive collection, should have been more clear.

ELR guys are shooting matches with the MagnetoSpeed mounted? I'd assume mounted to ARCA rail etc if yes.
Yeah mine is now a permanent fixture for a 33XC, attaches via ARCA.

When you’re in that $5-10/bullet range, you don’t waste any opportunity to collect data. But in reality, it gives you an immediate indication if something is up that you may be able to adjust for. Especially out west, where it gets a lot hotter in the sun than here.

I have a Vortex 1800 rangefinder, a razor spotting scope and I use the Hornady app on my phone for ballistics.

I was thinking about getting a kestrel with AB for ballistics, but does it make better sense to upgrade my rangefinder with something that has AB integrated? Like the Sig Kilo 8K or the Revic BR4?

I eventually plan to get nice binos to replace the spotter, but that will have to wait.
You need to define your goals to drive your decision making-

PRS or casual shooting- just get a good set of binos for wind reading
Hunting/ tactical or NRL matches- look for integrated bino/ AB solution for the speed aspect

I don't think there's really a need for it in the KD sports. They know exactly what the come-ups are with their load for the distances they shoot (3,5,600yds).
PRS guys shoot at varying distance that you're not sure of until the day of the match (I think; I've never done it). So getting velocity that day and using a phone app would get them their come-ups for odd distances (325, 587, 734, whatever).

You need to define your goals to drive your decision making-

PRS or casual shooting- just get a good set of binos for wind reading
Hunting/ tactical or NRL matches- look for integrated bino/ AB solution for the speed aspect

This would be for the next step in gathering equipment for PRS or NRL matches

Last edited:
I don't think there's really a need for it in the KD sports. They know exactly what the come-ups are with their load for the distances they shoot (3,5,600yds).
PRS guys shoot at varying distance that you're not sure of until the day of the match (I think; I've never done it). So getting velocity that day and using a phone app would get them their come-ups for odd distances (325, 587, 734, whatever).
ELR is always KD, it’s useful because of the degree of uncertainty at those distances, and the reasons stated above

I haven't seen that, if i did id call the guy a fag
Well I heard a barrier stop was a good accessory. Got my eyes on one of these...

H73efe5a4d31942dca85c52b3e2fae9bdI.jpg

Love the Lab Radar.

I bought one maybe 3 months ago. I bought the trigger thing that attaches to the rifle. Didn't miss a single shot of the 172 I chronographed.

This. I do love the Labradar.

BUT you do want to get the external trigger that goes on rifle ( I have the rubber coated magnet - does NOT mar rifle). The set up where you use the muzzle blast to trigger sensor to look for bullet was iffy, And you had to change location of where device was located based on barrel length and type of muzzle brake. That also put the unit in an awkward spot for activating or reading. Get the external trigger (short money) and all those issues go away.

Labradar always goes to range with me, and if I’m doing anything off the bench it’s being used.

I bought the external battery pack, but it may not be needed. I charge it every spring and I’m good.

I bought a surplus pelican case that houses unit, stand, battery, trigger cables, even instructions. Just one item to load in truck.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom