1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2. Dismiss Notice

What is your favorite handgun?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Cross-X, Sep 30, 2005.

1. Lynne

Lynne

Well...I DO love my Browning, but I got it after my .40, and, well, your first love, ya know? [lol]

2. dwarven1

dwarven1 Appleseed Instructor Dealer NES Member

If I'd written this a year or two ago, I'd be saying my Ruger P90 .45, but after picking up my Para P12 earlier this year, it's rapidly becoming the gun I shoot most. Also a .45.

Which is not to say that my 686P stays in the safe all the time!

Ross

3. FPrice

FPrice Retired Zoomie NES Life Member NES Member

Ross,

Are you by any chance interested in a Para P12-45 LDA to go with yours?

4. dwarven1

Possibly. Depends on price and on how soon the guy buying my fairing gets a check to me.

(he was going to be sending me a check when his deployment was up at the end of August... guess where he just spent the last several weeks? Hint: he's in a helicopter search and rescue unit based in San Diego. He wasn't in San Diego, though)

5. Nickle

Nickle

I actually have 4 favorites, in order:

Essex framed 1911A1 (I built it, of course it's my #1 favorite).

Glock 19 (wife's, my CCW gun).

Colt 1917 (ex-Army).

Smith K-38 (My father's, I don't remember which specific one, but a Model 14, IIRC, rechambered to .357, first handgun I ever shot, about 1968).

Darius, here's your revolver fan. I prefer semi's for defensive/offensive work, but enjoy shooting good revolvers.

The wife is extremely partial to her Bersa Thunder 22. She's comfortable with it, and it seems to run flawlessly, though slightly finicky for ammo. Likes cheap Winchester HP's from Wal-Mart, though.

And Lynne, my son-in-law is extremely happy with his Sigma, also a .40.

6. dwarven1

He also didn't want to give me back my Ruger P90! He really liked it; I suspect that one will follow him home soon.

Nickle, was that Sigma the jammomatic at Ripton? He wasn't too happy with it that day...

7. Nickle

Nickle

I reworked the ammo a little. I seated the bullets deeper, if that doesn't work, we're going to alter the feed ramp.

Of course, he may look into a Ruger, but not soon.

8. dd

dd

Favorite Handgun

Am amazed at how few preferences there are for the 1911.

While I have many handguns, I much prefer the 1911 and the S&W 1911 is the best buy, feature for feature, now on the market. I liked mine so much I bought a second. I also have Springfields, a Kimber, several Colts, etc.

This is my first post as you may note. Glad to find this forum. Are there any other bullseye shooters here?

Hello Lynne!

9. Nickle

Nickle

Give a little time for some here to come around to the 1911A1. I suggest the Build-It-Yourself forum for insight as to WHY.

And welcome to the forum.

10. Lynne

Lynne

Nice to know I'm not alone. [lol]

11. Chris

Chris NES Member

Just east of Zone 9, but in Worcester County.
    Well, lately I've been getting a real kick out of the S&W 500 (pun intended) Which I'll have tomorrow at the practice if anyone wants to squeeze off a few.

But I still go back to the 'ol reliable Sig 239 as my everyday. Just fits and handles nicely, and not ONE malfunction in well over 15,000 rounds. (yes, I've replaced springs and such, it isn't all factory issue)

I also really like my Les Baer. It's a great shooter, just doesn't really fit my hand.

12. dwarven1

Re: Favorite Handgun

Welcome, dd!

I don't shoot much bullseye since I discovered IDPA (which I shoot with a compact, hi-cap 1911 [wink]). I take it that from your second post, you're located up near Danvers?

Ross

13. dd

dd

re 1911s

Yes, Ross, I am 14 road miles from the club; live in Boxford. Am also a member of Pelham F&G.

Have been a member of Danvers for 35 or so years.

Are you in this area too?

14. dwarven1

No, I live in Marlboro and shoot at Riverside in Hudson. I've been to a few of the game suppers at Danvers because I used to work for a guy who's a member there. Dave M - he's the one who's always bringing bluefish.

Unfortunately, I couldn't make it last year; it conflicted with a science fiction convention that I was going to. Hopefully, Arisia and the game supper will be on different weekends next January!

15. Len-2A Training

Len-2A Training Instructor Instructor NES Life Member NES Member

Welcome to the forum! Hope you enjoy it here. Are you the dd I think you are, another refugee from the late MAF and the guardian of my former Colt 1911? [wink]

After learning a few things from Jim Crews last year (instructor for our defensive handgun course in Tyngsboro) and getting sucked in by Jim Conway, I bought a S&W 1911 and that has become my favorite shooting and CCW gun. I now severely regret ever selling you my Colt. :(

Once I realized why I (and many people) have problems controlling a 1911 and with minor mods it can be a great gun, just like Browning intended, I love them!

16. Admin

Admin Staff Member Administrator Moderator NES Member

Welcome DD.

I'm going to finish getting distinguished with the Pistol this winter if you consider that bullseye. [wink]

Derek

17. Lynne

Lynne

Hiya Dave - how are ya? Welcome to the gang! I saw the other post about Danvers first and wondered if that was you. :D