What is your favorite all around ammunition manufacturer?

I know their are so many companies for many different needs, but if you had to pick a universal favorite for each kind of firearm which would you pick as a whole?

I know most enjoy many different companies but I think we all have a special one that stands out from the bunch. :D.

Here are some of my experiences with ammo companies. Let me know if any of you agree and what you feel about your favorites in the business.

Hornady-Logo-300x229.jpg

Hornady is kinda like the rolls royce of ammo, it's the gold standard. I have heard that even so much as a scuff and the ammo will be pulled from production lines. It's silly expensive but it's also the best. It's essentially a ferrari. You won't wanna use it everyday unless you're rich but it is also just a really amazing round that you can almost always count on.

fed01.jpg

Federal is my all around favorite company in ammunition. I have never had an ill experience (knock on wood) with federals and I love them for being a reliable, efficient round for a cheap affordable price. Best bang for the buck imo. I love them for shotgun shells especially but also .22 lr and other rounds.

ppu-logo.jpg

I put 50 of PPU through my .38 and never will again, it runs dirty, it runs awful, had 2 misfires out of 50 with a reliable round like .38. and it's just inferior peruvian stuff. Not a fan. Some people swear by the stuff. which is why guns are so facsinating. Everyone has their preferences. but I personally will avoid this company.

642685.jpg

Good old fashioned winchester white box, My favorite for my .38 rounds. I enjoy the quality and price. But I have heard people who don't like it and people who love it. Where do you stand on it? I've had good experiences with it thus far.

logo.png

I consider Aguila on par with federal, top of the line quality for a fair entry level price. I definitely like a good old box of 50 .38 Aguilas.

cci.jpg

Haven't given it enough of a go to have a full unbiased opinion, and I also only shot CCI .22 LR so far, and that's a notoriously unreliable type of ammo. But it shoot clean and accurately all and all with 10 misfires out of about 210 rounds. I'd say it's a quality company. :)

Those are mostly the rounds I have experience with. Which ammo makers do you like the most. Which would you trust your life with? And which do you use for affordable target practice?

Thanks for any imput or experiences.

Last edited:
just so you know CCI, Federal , blazer , Speer , estate , American eagle are all owned by ATK/Vista outdoors.

I cant say I like any one company.
I have basically given up on Winchester and Remington . I will buy cheap Remington club 12g target loads when I know im going to shoot a lot of trap.
Hornady: I shot some of there match offerings . I ran some of there vintage match ammo and found it to be no better than PPU match for the same cal. PPU was/is substantially less. I tried some 30/30 LEVERevolution ammo and it shined in my marlin 336
PPU: I have good luck performance wise with every PPU variety I have shot. From 25 auto to 9mm browning long and rifle cals from 223 to 8mm and a few odd balls inbetween. PPU has some of the best selection of older less common fodder.
Aguilla: some of the better 22lr for under 8 cents around and their 30 carbine does well by me. have not shot much of anything else.

In the end if you find a particular ammo type/manufacture/lot number that makes you smile buy as much of the same lot# as you think you will shoot for a few years. As the next box or run on it may not do as well.
When I get some time I will shoot my 513t with old Aguilla 2009 production vs 2016 case I have.
The old stuff was posting sub 2" on a windless day at 100 yards the 2016 production I cn keep them in 3" but they are all over that 3" 10 ring.

have fun buy what you like and be realistic about your expectations,equipment and skills

my buddy buys hornady shotshell for hunting but honestly hes lucky to hit a 12" plate at 25 yards.

PPU for me because they offer a wide range of odd ball mil-surp calibers that I can save the brass from and reload.

I’d rather put together my own ammunition though over any of the other options any day...even if I were well off enough to afford the Cadillac, i’d still enjoy reloading as a hobby within a hobby.

Kind of agree with "Arto". I think the last box of factory ammo I bought was Prvi; just to acquire a few more pieces of reloadable 6.5x55mm brass (a vote for PPU, as they offer many mil-surp calibers). I don't reload shotshell, so I may grab a box of Suprema or similar at a local Wal-Mart from time to time.

8NOS9Jrm.jpg
O62cj4Nm.jpg

Last edited:
ppu is great for milsurps, their 8mm match 200gr shoots just as well as hornady's vintage match for less than half the price. Brass is fine too.
I like WWB and Fiocchi in my pistols, or whatever is on sale

I've been reloading .45 acp for my subguns for umpteen years on the Dillon 550B. Now that I'm old and lazy, I bought a bunch of WWB. Works great in the Thompson, Grease Gun and Reisings. Does not work in the Mac 10. What's up with that? Jack.

Me.

After that, Creedmoor out of Anniston, Alabama for their rifle match offering. I buy the stuff every year and a half, then proceed to reload the snot out of the Lapua brass they use.

Remington 30/30 170 gr SP Core Lokt. Although I enjoy and take great pride in rolling my own, much like the guy who catches trout on his own flies, I can buy the Rem stuff almost cheaper than I can make it, and for all intents and purposes get equal performance.

That being said... I'm tossing this fall's worth of 30/30 brass in the tumbler tonite.....

For every rifle I've ever owned, I've gone down to an LGS and pick up a box of every brand they had and shot groups looking for accuracy.

For every rifle, the tightest groups have been with some variation of Federal. That then becomes the standard for reloading. If I can equal that or pretty darn close, great. If not, that's what I buy in bulk.

Except the Mini-14. That one liked PPC. Go figure.

On a completely unrelated note, I've got about eighty, half boxes of various calibers.

It's PRVI or Milsurp only for my Garand, but Federal has never let me down with everything else!

I like cci or federal for rimfire ammo. I reload most of my centerfire stuff. I do like hornady and the new federal fusion for hunting. I usually pick up umc(rem) for plinking in my .223 and 9mm. Shotgun, I don't really have a preference.

I like cci or federal for rimfire ammo. I reload most of my centerfire stuff. I do like hornady and the new federal fusion for hunting. I usually pick up umc(rem) for plinking in my .223 and 9mm. Shotgun, I don't really have a preference.
umc has to be the worst.... i had some norinco 223 that was 30 some odd years old and had much better FPS av and SD than the umc.
umc 45acp awful....only 45 my pistol would not feed ?

Back
Top Bottom