• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What is Your Favorite ACOG

I need an optic with and etched reticle (astigmatism) and am thinking an ACOG would fit my needs well. So many models and reticles though… currently leaning towards the TA33 with a green reticle; chevron and donut both look to have their advantages.

What is your favorite model / reticle / mount?

For the amount you'll pay for an ACOG, is there a reason why you're not considering a LPVO?

Every time I decide I want an ACOG, I can never figure out which one I want. They come "close" to what I want, but never hit the mark. Then, I start thinking about the cost, and the "advantage" of no batteries. After further consideration, I consider the no batteries feature to be the primary reason I don't get one. The tritium has a half-life of 10 years, then it starts to fade. The reality for me is that whatever I would mount the ACOG to will get taken to the range less than 10 times in the next 10 years, and will sit in the safe until one of my kids gets it. By then, the tritium will be faded and at or close to the end of it's life. I know the military likes them because they don't have to worry about that stuff.
Personally, I'd much rather have a low power variable that I can just replace the battery or remove it altogether if I want to preserve the electronics. If you don't need the 6x, 8x, 10x, etc. then just leave it at the lowest setting and don't worry about it.

If you decide to consider the LPVO instead of an ACOG, there are a large amount of options to look at and decide from.

1 Weight
2 Simplicity
3 No batteries / electronics to worry about
4 I don’t really have any need for 6x, 8x, 10x that I can think of

Weight is a fair argument but simplicity, not having to "worry" about electronics, and "I don't need 4/6/8/10x" are not.

A LPVO is extremely simple to use. There's windage, elevation, magnification, focus, and probably illumination. Showing someone how to use a LPVO is probably easier than showing them how to use iron sights on a rifle properly. Unless someone's extremely new to guns and has zero comprehension of how to use an optic, like they've never picked up a binocular or rifle scope or red dot before, its very easy to show someone how to use a LPVO.

Changing the battery on a LPVO is something that can be done once every five years and involves unscrewing the cap and putting in a new battery. It takes probably a minute. CR2032 batteries, the most common form of battery in optics, are readily available at CVS or Amazon for like $7 or 8 per six batteries. 6 batteries x 5 years of life = 30 years for $7-8 at your local CVS. Again, for the investment, you get a massive return.

Finally, the world is bigger than a 100-yard rifle range or you may want to zoom in close on a specific object or area. Magnification greater than 4x is nice for that. There's a reason why fixed power rifle scopes have basically faded away from the marketplace - its because variables offer way more advantages than the weight savings offered by a fixed 4x or 6x. About the only place where fixed power really has an advantage is weight.

Every time I decide I want an ACOG, I can never figure out which one I want. They come "close" to what I want, but never hit the mark. Then, I start thinking about the cost, and the "advantage" of no batteries. After further consideration, I consider the no batteries feature to be the primary reason I don't get one. The tritium has a half-life of 10 years, then it starts to fade. The reality for me is that whatever I would mount the ACOG to will get taken to the range less than 10 times in the next 10 years, and will sit in the safe until one of my kids gets it. By then, the tritium will be faded and at or close to the end of it's life. I know the military likes them because they don't have to worry about that stuff.
Personally, I'd much rather have a low power variable that I can just replace the battery or remove it altogether if I want to preserve the electronics. If you don't need the 6x, 8x, 10x, etc. then just leave it at the lowest setting and don't worry about it.

If you decide to consider the LPVO instead of an ACOG, there are a large amount of options to look at and decide from.

There's tons of old optics on the market that don't have functional reticles anymore like SUITs because the tritium is dead and replacing it is unfeasible. Finding a battery is a lot easier than having tritium replaced.

I need an optic with and etched reticle (astigmatism) and am thinking an ACOG would fit my needs well. So many models and reticles though… currently leaning towards the TA33 with a green reticle; chevron and donut both look to have their advantages.

What is your favorite model / reticle / mount?
Getting a pair of glasses, if you haven’t yet, will make a huge difference no matter the optic.
As for ACOGs, the TA31RCO-M4 is what I use on my 16” barrel

BD440C5C-F048-4567-94CD-9C2AF8A2E23A.jpeg

For the amount you'll pay for an ACOG, is there a reason why you're not considering a LPVO?

I had to look up the acronym LPVO.

I have a RedDot on one of my AR's, it's for fast, closeup shooting.
I have a decent scope on another, it's for the 500 yard range.

On yet another, I have a "LPVO" and I didn't even know it. It's my middle gun, between the other two. I can shoot it close up, I can fairly competently shoot it out to 200 yards and I can (sort of), shoot it at 400 yards. The scope itself is a StrikeForce 1-6, (maybe 1-8, it's in the safe right now), which is a fairly low dollar scope.

It's a useful optic.

I have had a TA-33 with the red chevron for 10 years or so. They're good scopes - super durable, light. Only issue I've ever had with it was trying to zero it in 10F weather once. The internal lube had stiffened up to the point where POI changes were lagging in 2 directions. You can get pretty frustrated and waste a lot of ammo under those conditions.

But...

You appear to be picking ACOG because the reticle doesn't have astigmatism problems - which is true. However, that leads me to guess that you're picking an alternative to a red dot, as that's the common sight that gives shooters with astigmatism trouble. If you're counting on ACOGs Bindon Aiming Concept as a red dot replacement, let me encourage you to try one first. I've seen a varied response to using BAC for aiming up close. Some people like it, some don't like it and some it doesn't work for at all. I'm in the don't like it category. It works, but I only use the BAC dot to lead me into the scope. My eyes don't want to let the dot float.

A 1x to whatever LVPO addresses the same optics needs the ACOG does, but in my opinion does a better job. The ACOG predates durable variable scope designs, and was a huge step forward in it's day. Why not the Trijicon Accupoint in 1-4x or 1-6x instead?

Favorite reticle? Pick what you like, they all work. Favorite mount? The one that comes with it. I've had a QD mount on mine for years, and have needed the QD feature exactly never times. It's not going to break, you are not going to have to shift to backup irons.

Can’t comment on an Acog but if you’re dealing with astigmatism I would definitely recommend a prism optic. They come in all flavors of low magnification similar to Acogs.

I go back and forth on ACOGs all the time. I feel like an ACOG with an RMR would make an awesome setup on a light weight 12" gun, but then I remember it would cost me like $12-1500 for 20 tech and talk myself out of it.

I like LVPO's, but spending $1-2000 to add ~2lbs to a carbine just bugs me these days.

All of this mental masturbation comes from workbench gaming this shit because I am not shooting right now, and don't want to reconfigure my functional rifles and then spend the ammo getting used to a new configuration, trying make my rifle game .5-1% more effective with new gear.

I've had the TA33G-H on a LaRue mount for about 9 or so years at this point. It's one of the easiest point-and-shoot optics I have. It's designed to be shot with both eyes open, it's always held zero, and the green horseshoe reminds me of an Eotech reticle, which is great for quick target acquisition.

I purchased the TA33 for under $800 at the time. My only note is that the reticle can appear washed out if you're shooting from a darker area into a brighter area. You'll have to get used to variable lighting. The tritium is also only effective in low light situations like dusk, dawn and darker. Additionally, the tritium has a limited lifespan and I hear it's not worth the cost of replacing though I haven't tried.

I go back and forth on ACOGs all the time. I feel like an ACOG with an RMR would make an awesome setup on a light weight 12" gun, but then I remember it would cost me like $12-1500 for 20 tech and talk myself out of it.

I like LVPO's, but spending $1-2000 to add ~2lbs to a carbine just bugs me these days.

All of this mental masturbation comes from workbench gaming this shit because I am not shooting right now, and don't want to reconfigure my functional rifles and then spend the ammo getting used to a new configuration, trying make my rifle game .5-1% more effective with new gear.
I put an SRO on my rifle and have run it offset to my ACOG and like it. I’m no operator, nor am I training even remotely close enough to justify my expenses.

Currently I have my TenMile on with the SRO because I’m stupid and don’t know what I’m doing with my life in anticipation of the carbine class at Ridgeline this month. It’s f***ing heavy right now and would not want to be schlepping it around all day if I ever had to.

The tritium has a half-life of 10 years, then it starts to fade.
The tritium is only needed for night time illumination, so if the rifle isn't going to serve a dedicated home defense role then I don't think the tritium's service life is of much concern and is a fair trade for ambient fiber-optic illumination that will work forever. That longevity and their famous durability (which is a function of their mechanical simplicity) make ACOGs a unique choice for an end of the world optic, which some people are in to.

Another vote for a TA-33. Have one with the red chevron and it’s super simple to use and I like the BDC option on it. As for a mount, you can’t go wrong with a Larue quick detach mount. It’s rock solid and repeats zero no problem if you remove it and then put it back on.

Mine is over 10 years old and so far the chevron is still bright and clear.

Still a big fan of the 1-4 accupoint. If tritium bothers you, the accupower line is nice as well.
From previous experiences, if you send in your scope for repairs, they will replace the tritium at the same time. No charge, or at least they didn't charge me, and I'm a nobody.

I've got an Eotech with a quick-release 3x mag on a 16" Tavor and another on an SBR Scorpion, an Elcan Specter 1-4x on a 16" AR and a Trijicon 1-9x scope on a 20" AR10. Trijicon and Elcan are heavy as fudge. Eotech is my go to, especially with the flexibility of the 3x mag.

I've considered ACOG's multiple times, but I don't like fixed mag optics once I became accustomed to the flexibility of variable mag. Add in the need for irons or mini red dot for CQB (which adds more weight and bulkiness) and the 10 year shelf life of tritium vs battery replacement and the cost of ACOG's vs other milspec options and it just didn't work for me. I may pick one up eventually, but it isn't high on my list right now...

Edit: I have astigmatism and wear prescription glasses when I shoot and it isn't too much of an issue for me, but you might be better off with an etched reticle optic depending on how strong your astigmatism is. What is really going to be an issue for me soon is my need for bi-focals/reading glasses as my close in vision has just started to go. Not really looking forward to that.

Last edited:
Pinty!

/thread
i tortured a bit my pintys today, they are ok, but, with glasses on, for astigmatism - they do suck. surprisingly, with prescription glasses off it was manageable. dot is a bit big, but, again, for a $6 - ok. if one can justify adding so much weight as a backup sight - is an another issue. all in all - it works, kinda reminds how a romeo5 dot looks like.

Can’t comment on an Acog but if you’re dealing with astigmatism I would definitely recommend a prism optic. They come in all flavors of low magnification similar to Acogs.
... the ACOG is a prism optic.

For the OP, I would seriously consider either of the 4x TA31-based offerings from Primary Arms with the ACSS reticle. Adding wind holds is a huge benefit. They come in yards based BDC or meters based BDC(Aurora reticle). Interestingly, the subtensions of the Aurora, while made for 62gr out of a 14.5-16” barrel, lines up perfectly for an 11.5-12.5 with 77gr TMK.

Overall, I like the crosshairs version of the TA31 over the chevron version, but the ACSS with wind holds beats out the crosshairs version. Even if it had a chevron.

I have a TA31. I bought that one because I figured if the military settled on it it will be enough for this lost optics soul.

I like it a lot. Had it for 12 or so years now

I started down the lpvo trail, but then I am seeing YouTube gun guys with an LPVO set to the highest magnification and next to it is mounted an RMR that they switch to for 1x magnification. So.. what is the point of having an LPVO if it is such a pain to switch?

Would it not make more sense to just get a fixed magnification that is 1/3 the weight and less $?

I have had a TA-33 with the red chevron for 10 years or so. They're good scopes - super durable, light. Only issue I've ever had with it was trying to zero it in 10F weather once. The internal lube had stiffened up to the point where POI changes were lagging in 2 directions. You can get pretty frustrated and waste a lot of ammo under those conditions.

But...

You appear to be picking ACOG because the reticle doesn't have astigmatism problems - which is true. However, that leads me to guess that you're picking an alternative to a red dot, as that's the common sight that gives shooters with astigmatism trouble. If you're counting on ACOGs Bindon Aiming Concept as a red dot replacement, let me encourage you to try one first. I've seen a varied response to using BAC for aiming up close. Some people like it, some don't like it and some it doesn't work for at all. I'm in the don't like it category. It works, but I only use the BAC dot to lead me into the scope. My eyes don't want to let the dot float.

A 1x to whatever LVPO addresses the same optics needs the ACOG does, but in my opinion does a better job. The ACOG predates durable variable scope designs, and was a huge step forward in it's day. Why not the Trijicon Accupoint in 1-4x or 1-6x instead?

Favorite reticle? Pick what you like, they all work. Favorite mount? The one that comes with it. I've had a QD mount on mine for years, and have needed the QD feature exactly never times. It's not going to break, you are not going to have to shift to backup irons.

I have a TA31. I bought that one because I figured if the military settled on it it will be enough for this lost optics soul.

I like it a lot. Had it for 12 or so years now
I do not like it’s price, very much. All the rest is more than fine. But a $1k+ price is not ok.

I started down the lpvo trail, but then I am seeing YouTube gun guys with an LPVO set to the highest magnification and next to it is mounted an RMR that they switch to for 1x magnification. So.. what is the point of having an LPVO if it is such a pain to switch?

Would it not make more sense to just get a fixed magnification that is 1/3 the weight and less $?
R u watching 3gun competition videos? :)

What are you interested in, what are you going to use the rifle for? Get an optic that fits the task.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom