What is your "Ban compliant" SHTF "Battle" weapon(s)?

By "ban compliant" I basically mean every firearm that isn't a "big scary boomstick of doom" (AR-15, "assault weapon"). I am "that guy" -idiot- who had several AR-15s when I lived in FL but I sold them prior to moving back to this Shi*hole of a state. Also, I know many people who were unable to purchase anything AR-15 like prior to the ban and now they are without one.

What is your battle weapon? I am not talking about a firearm that you would take with you as a survival gun, I am talking about the main fighting weapon. If you have more than one, thats awesome and feel free to mention it also.
-What is your battle weapon? (primary weapon, not sidearm)
-If your main battle weapon fails, breaks or anything, what is your back up primary?
-What are the perks of your battle weapon and what are its flaws?
-What caliber is it chambered it?
-Why is it your battle weapon?
-Does the firearm serve as anything else besides a fighting rifle? (hunting, competition, etc.)

For me, I chose my 30-30 Savage model 170. Its a pump action and its been in my family since 1978. My current back up is a Lever action Marlin 30-30. The reason I chose the 30-30WIN cartridge is because I feel it is an effective round for both hunting and fighting zombies, N. Korean commies, etc. The range that I feel I can effectively and comfortably use this firearm against my intented target is 150 yards. Both rifles are compatable with my NcStar shotgun scabbard which means I can carry both 30-30s with me, on in the scabbard and one in my hands. Not only are these my battle rifles but the Savage 30-30 was what my father used for hunting deer. I am confident that I can use the rifle effectively against varmint, predators, and med. game. (I consider N. Korean Commies varmint although they are a bit more agressive than your average Fox or woodchuck)
The perks of these two firearms is the ease of use, reilable, chambered in an effective cartridge and versatile. The flaws are they are both not as easy to field strip as other firearms like an AR-15, and they are not easy to do a full DCOA on at the bench.

Thanks for reading.
Dave

You can find AR-15's on the shelf at some shops for reasonable prices. Go get one.

I love the lever action .30-30, but good luck keeping much ammo around for it, and since you are calling it your EBR, you'll probably get crushed on range and firepower by someone with an AR, AK, or semi .308.

Edit: oh, you're in CT. Apologies.

gumavepe.jpg

And to think I used to feel sorry for MA people.

You can find AR-15's on the shelf at some shops for reasonable prices. Go get one.

I love the lever action .30-30, but good luck keeping much ammo around for it, and since you are calling it your EBR, you'll probably get crushed on range and firepower by someone with an AR, AK, or semi .308.

Edit: oh, you're in CT. Apologies.

If I weren't able to have my AKs or ARs, I would probably settle for an SKS. 30-30 ammo is too pricey to stockpile, and I'm not sure how well those rifles hold up to sustained fire.

I love my Winchester 94, but I can reload an SKS a hell of a lot faster, and you can get ammo by the crate for a couple hundred bucks.

Another vote for the SKS. easy to shoot + accurate as hell. x39 is starting to come back into shops too, just bought some today.

she is a little pretty to be a SHTF gun but they run better dirty anyways

f0w0a9.jpg

If I weren't able to have my AKs or ARs, I would probably settle for an SKS. 30-30 ammo is too pricey to stockpile, and I'm not sure how well those rifles hold up to sustained fire.

I love my Winchester 94, but I can reload an SKS a hell of a lot faster, and you can get ammo by the crate for a couple hundred bucks.

I'm looking for an SKS now, thats one rifle that has been on my list to buy. A friend of mine has a Type 56 in a Tapco stock but it is so awkward and off balance. In the current market in CT or MA, what do you think a milsurp SKS is going for? I've also been interested in buying a Mosin Nagant and carbine that is ban compliant in .45ACP.
I've been buying federal and Winchester 30-30 ammo for around $16.99 a box for the past 3 months and when I buy it I buy atleast 15 boxes at a time. The same with 9mm FMJ, I've been buying it for around the same price and I've bought about 6 boxes a week without problems.

-Dave

th

At least until they ban nails.

That's all well and good until someone comes along with a bigger board and a bigger nail.

- - - Updated - - -

Would the Izmash/Saiga Sporter be legal in CT now? I don't think it has any of the evil features but can be converted.

I'm looking for an SKS now, thats one rifle that has been on my list to buy. A friend of mine has a Type 56 in a Tapco stock but it is so awkward and off balance. In the current market in CT or MA, what do you think a milsurp SKS is going for? I've also been interested in buying a Mosin Nagant and carbine that is ban compliant in .45ACP.
I've been buying federal and Winchester 30-30 ammo for around $16.99 a box for the past 3 months and when I buy it I buy atleast 15 boxes at a time. The same with 9mm FMJ, I've been buying it for around the same price and I've bought about 6 boxes a week without problems.

-Dave

I haven't been in many shops lately, but I know that as of a few months ago, you could find a Chinese SKS at or below $300. And 7.62x39 ammo is still out there for 25-30 cents a round. I bought most of mine last year, with the Yugo surplus stuff around 18 cents per in a crate, but I know that has gone up. I just recently bought 500 rounds of Golden Tiger for ~$159.

I just put up a thread in the milsurp forum today on my latest Chinese SKS. I picked it up over the winter for $250 and just added a $40 fiberglass jungle stock to it. The stock won't be as durable as the original wood (which was butt-ugly), but it is lighter, thinner at the grip, and moisture resistant.

I have a few of the 200 round Chinese chest rigs loaded up with stripper clips. You can carry a lot of ammo when you don't have bulky magazines to worry about.

Edit: And here is my Chinese and Yugo rifles, with 200 rounds in a chest rig and 80 (I think) rounds in the pouches.

Last edited:
iver johnson m1 carbine with a 30 round mag, tons of prebans available, almost no recoil, but hits like a hot 357 magnum, looks like a 22lr squirrel rifle and weighs next to nothing.

if SHTF

I will continue to not care about complaint bullshit

I agree. I was hesitant to even chime in on this because of the very premise. I obviously do not plan on giving up anything that I've already got, so the SKSs would be back-ups to back-ups at the very most.

But as the question came from a state where a new shooter may simply be unable to buy anything better, I figured I would offer a best worst choice.

Building a few off-the-books AKs would be a much better alternative.

I agree. I was hesitant to even chime in on this because of the very premise. I obviously do not plan on giving up anything that I've already got, so the SKSs would be back-ups to back-ups at the very most.

But as the question came from a state where a new shooter may simply be unable to buy anything better, I figured I would offer a best worst choice.

Building a few off-the-books AKs would be a much better alternative.

Hell to the ****ing yea

nothing wrong with the 30-30, it's a proven round, commonly available, albeit somewhat pricey. Assuming you have a loading gate, you can push rounds in on the fly to stay topped off.

it has some limitations, but doesn't everything? If you're good with it then it doesn't really matter as long as your tactics are appropriate.

67012-what-your-ban-compliant-shtf-battle-weapon-s-image.jpg

only thing I am allowed in Ma. Pre ban [laugh]

Allowed ? Maybe NOT: City of Marlborough, MA Restrictions on Sale and Use

City of Marlboro: [Amended 11-21-1988 by Ord. No. 88-2468A]
It shall be unlawful for any person to sell or expose for sale, use or cause or permit to be used, an instrument or weapon of the kind usually known as "air rifle," "air gun" or ammunition therefor, "slingshot," "bean blower," "switchblade knife," "automatic knife," "push-button knife," "snap knife," "swingback knife" or "spring blade knife," "water pistol" or "air pistol," or any instrument or product designed to project a string or streamer of plastic material.

Last edited:
In CT you're pretty much hosed by the rules now. That said you're pretty outmatched carrying that 30-30.

Remember the people during SHTF who are going to rob you didn't care about the laws before SHTF. Food for thought.

City of Marlborough, MA Restrictions on Sale and Use

City of Marlboro: [Amended 11-21-1988 by Ord. No. 88-2468A]
It shall be unlawful for any person to sell or expose for sale, use or cause or permit to be used, an instrument or weapon of the kind usually known as "air rifle," "air gun" or ammunition therefor, "slingshot," "bean blower," "switchblade knife," "automatic knife," "push-button knife," "snap knife," "swingback knife" or "spring blade knife," "water pistol" or "air pistol," or any instrument or product designed to project a string or streamer of plastic material.[/QUOTE]

Really water pistol? What the?.....

Back
Top Bottom