What is You Favorite Thanksgiving Food???

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Care to share your faves or unique Thanksgiving recipes??

My favorite is my grandmother's recipe for sweet potatoe casserole with brown sugar and marshmallows on top... I could pretty much eat the entire 8x8 dish in one sitting.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Anything edible that will fill my empty stomach that I have punished with alcohol the night before. But really I'm pretty plain when it comes to food so stuffing and mashed potatoes are definitely my favorite.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
My Grandmother's Turkey stuffing

2# Hamburger
9 Potatoes
2 Medium Onions
2 loaves Italian or French bread
6-12 eggs
Bell's seasoning
Salt and pepper, to taste.

Let the bread get "stale" overnight then, soak it in water to soften, squeeze out the water to use in the stuffing mix.
Boil the potatoes, then drain and mash
Fry up the hamburger and onions (Sometimes I add the Bell's seasoning at this point)
Mix everything together, adding the raw eggs until the consistency is to your liking
Season with salt and pepper and Bell's seasoning, to taste

You can stuff the turkey with this --or-- heat in a baking pan with turkey drippings @ 375○ F for about half an hour.
My grandmother got this recipe from her mother-in-law, so the recipe goes back to at least the beginning of the 20th Century.

Enjoy ! [smile]

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
My Grandmother's Turkey stuffing

2# Hamburger
9 Potatoes
2 Medium Onions
2 loaves Italian or French bread
6-12 eggs
Bell's seasoning
Salt and pepper, to taste.

Let the bread get "stale" overnight then, soak it in water to soften, squeeze out the water to use in the stuffing mix.
Boil the potatoes, then drain and mash
Fry up the hamburger and onions (Sometimes I add the Bell's seasoning at this point)
Mix everything together, adding the raw eggs until the consistency is to your liking
Season with salt and pepper and Bell's seasoning, to taste

You can stuff the turkey with this --or-- heat in a baking pan with turkey drippings @ 375○ F for about half an hour.
My grandmother got this recipe from her mother-in-law, so the recipe goes back to at least the beginning of the 20th Century.

Enjoy ! [smile]
NOM NOM NOM

Rating - 100%
24   0   0
I always look forward to the Connolis from Mikes. Thanksgiving is the one time a year that they'er always at the goodie table. They've been a staple ever since I was a kid.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Carrot casserole. Basically it's carrots, cheese, and ritz crackers on top.

So freakin good!

dwarven1

Appleseed Instructor
Dealer
NES Member
Rating - 100%
33   0   0
My mother's chestnut stuffing (which I haven't had in years) and "Mommy cake" - recipe below.

Mommy cake
Original recipe by "Nanny Ruth" (my grandmother) and modified by my mother. Sugar-free version by Mrs. Dwarven1. (for those of you playing at home, the original recipe (circa 1950) had cinnamon and walnuts instead of chocolate chips. My mom substituted the chocolate chips when she didn't have walnuts one time... and she never made it with walnuts and cinnamon again.)

1 cup sour cream (8 oz)
1 tsp baking soda
1 egg
1.5 cups flour, sifted
1 cup sugar
1.5 tsp baking powder
1/4 lb butter, melted
1tsp vanilla
6 oz chocolate chips (1 cup)

Mix baking soda and sour cream.

Add in egg, butter, vanilla & sugar w/electric mixer on high.

Sift in flour and baking powder and mix till smooth.

Stir in chips by hand.

Bake in greased 9"x9" pan at 350º for 45 minutes. Cool on rack.

For a sugar-free version, substitute Splenda for sugar, and for each cup of Splenda add an extra 2 oz of sour cream, a half cup of dry milk, and an extra 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda. Shorten the baking time by 5-10 minutes.

Note that the recipe can be doubled easily for a larger cake (add 10 minutes baking time for a 9x13 pan). And if you’re a real chocoholic you can easily put in more chips.

timbo

Navy Veteran
NES Member
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
my wife's cornbread stuffing and my turkey gravy. In order to make the gravy correctly, there must be well darkened (maybe even slightly burned) parts of the turkey stuck to the roasting pan (ie, don't cook the turkey on a roasting rack in the pan). Gives great flavor.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Its a tie between ham and ambrosia, but the law of bacon states that in the event of a tie the victory must go to the ham. As for dessert, i have some rhubarb pie.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I'm a stuffing junkie; the crispier the better. And, of course, liquid meat (i.e. gravy).

I almost forgot the turkey skin. No one else in our house eats it so I wind up with as much as I can cram down my pie hole.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Its a tie between ham and ambrosia, but the law of bacon states that in the event of a tie the victory must go to the ham. As for dessert, i have some rhubarb pie.
Well, when you're Italian, Parma Proscuitto is pretty much Ambrosia, ergo : Ham = Ambrosia *

* Ambrosia in the Greek Mythology sense = food of the "gods"

View attachment 44994

Last edited:
Top Bottom