What is wrong with gun owners

I talked to 3 gun owners today at work about "whats going on with gun laws"
One went to the Marlborough gun show, one went ice fishing and one doesn't care. [sad2]
I said check out NES for news about upcoming events. He said "I did but it only showed the last rally (1/19) I said you have to dig into the posts!

The second one said he went ice fishing and only has a limited times to go ice fishing. (come on what is more important?)
The third said he didnt know anything about a rally. (I gave hime the date to Feb 8th and also the loink to this forum for future events and news).

But my point is PEOPLE DO NOT KNOW WHAT IS GOING ON?
They dont know the laws being submitted at the state and federal level.

WE NEED TO EDUCATE THESE PEOPLE!
This could be THE most important times of our 2A times!

If these laws pass, we may need to "take it to the next level" which we alll dont want to do"

Could goal run a small ad to inform the less aware of rally dates, times, and places?

Thats not the problem.

Most gun owners aren't "connected" via facebook, forums, twitter etc etc

My group is trying to fix that, by literally taking to the streets and putting it in their faces. It needs to be promoted at ranges, gun shows, gun stores, and every other place OTHER than the internet. They just don't know by sheer ignorance, most of which is completely un-intentional

How about if we put signs on our front lawns about up coming rallies?
write it on our cars trucks?

I don't know maybe its really to late to rally. The press doesn't seem to care.
Maybe that's the answer, start bugging the media about upcoming events.

Last edited:
Well, as other have said, NES, while awesome, is not the center of the universe. If you want to know what's going on, itstime2a.org, GOAL, Facebook(ugh), etc.

It's your job to get these people involved, or at least aware. Do this, once you're done emailing, mailing, etc, your letters, ask these guys if you can send letters for them. With congress.org it's easy. Then, mail the same letters to all of their reps.

The reality of humans, most of us, anyway, is that we have lives. We have lots of stuff to do. For many people, they have nothing else to do but write letters, go to rallies, etc. Think about it: do you know anyone who could take six months off to camp in NYC? I don't.

The point is, most of us don't want this fight. I suppose that most reasonable people wouldn't. We want to be left alone to live our lives. But we don't have a choice. Fight for yourself, and for those who won't, fight for them too. Just because they have guns doesn't mean they aren't sleeping.

You have to get connected, get informed, then spread the word.

Last edited:
Thats not the problem.

My group is trying to fix that, by literally taking to the streets and putting it in their faces. It needs to be promoted at ranges, gun shows, gun stores, and every other place OTHER than the internet. They just don't know by sheer ignorance, most of which is completely un-intentional

this x10000000.

we do not have a way of communicating to the masses at this point. I hope you succeed and quickly. I will try and do my part

Take a look at the average age of people at range and you have your answer. Half are there because they need a place to hang out on Sat or Sun. The other 1/3 are shooting C&R and 1/3 are shooting current firearms. Shooting and ranges are not cheap and a lot of younger people don't have the dough or time to shoot as often as they would like.

Thats not the problem.

Yes, I think this is the "problem". If you are on this forum then that means that guns/shooting is a somewhat significant part of your life. That is most certainly not the case with all "gun-owners".

I know a few people who you could say are "in to guns"... they own a few guns, enjoy going plinking occasionally, buts its not like they are constantly thinking about what gun they should get next, or feel guilty if they haven't made it to the range in two weeks... At least one guy is continually shocked whenever I tell him about the latest anti-gun legislation attempt. He'll completely agree that all the new proposed laws are bullshit, but then thats kind of the end of it. He is probably not a member of GOAL, NRA, or anything... (yeah, I should probably do a better job of convincing people to join).

Its not even a matter of "where could GOAL advertise?" Some people just don't even read any news regularly... Although as we saw with Deval's proposal that barely even qualified as "news" to most of the local media.

Going around and trying to advertise in forums and gun magazines is largely preaching to the choir. I think trying to get local gun shops involved is what needs to happen more. There are plenty of people whose only interaction with the gun community is when they go to buy ammo at their local gun store for their occasional trip to the range. When I was riding back on the T after the statehouse rally I met a guy who even though was apparently an NRA and GOAL member (had a hat and shirt) he said what convinced him to go to the rally was an email/newsletter from four seasons. This guy was already ahead of the curve though, since he was even subscribed to four season's newsletter. Most people are still not that involved.

Take a look at the average age of people at range and you have your answer. Half are there because they need a place to hang out on Sat or Sun. The other 1/3 are shooting C&R and 1/3 are shooting current firearms. Shooting and ranges are not cheap and a lot of younger people don't have the dough or time to shoot as often as they would like.
Add the MA culture of not likely raised around guns and needing a permit even for long arms and you have a special breed. Some pol talked about getting rid of legal guns in a generation, that is possible in MA. Best thing we could do is get at least long arms off needing a license, but this state is so fudded up it ain't likely.

Going around and trying to advertise in forums and gun magazines is largely preaching to the choir. I think trying to get local gun shops involved is what needs to happen more. There are plenty of people whose only interaction with the gun community is when they go to buy ammo at their local gun store for their occasional trip to the range. When I was riding back on the T after the statehouse rally I met a guy who even though was apparently an NRA and GOAL member (had a hat and shirt) he said what convinced him to go to the rally was an email/newsletter from four seasons. This guy was already ahead of the curve though, since he was even subscribed to four season's newsletter. Most people are still not that involved.

This is very true, but we need to go a step or two beyond even. ItsTime2A.org is just starting to get the wheels rolling and we should be up to full steam very quickly. Much as I hate to make the comparison, I think the sign that we have succeeded in "getting the word out" will be when messages about our 2A rights are as common a sight on my ride to work as the "Free Mumia" and "vote for this guy in the union elections" stickers on light poles and billboards are currently. This message has to be everywhere in conventional and unconventional places because the sad reality is that the only way we're going to safeguard our rights is to have numbers, visibility, unity, and stamina enough as a group to make sure that all of our elected officials don't have a single day in the next four years when they're not getting at least a dozen letters, emails, or calls about the important of opposing new gun control legislation and repealing a bunch of the existing stuff.

Add the MA culture of not likely raised around guns and needing a permit even for long arms and you have a special breed. Some pol talked about getting rid of legal guns in a generation, that is possible in MA. Best thing we could do is get at least long arms off needing a license, but this state is so fudded up it ain't likely.
I was legitimately embarrassed to find out MA was one of the few states that actually registers guns. When I heard that even NY didn't register long guns, I about cried. And what makes me even more angry, is that we've been fingerprinted like criminals. And they check our IDs to buy ammo??

Un-American. Big Gov. run amok.

I grew up in NY with nonshooting parents. My dad bought my brother and I guns(and hunter safety classes, only a requirement for a hunting license)because we were inclined that way. Thing is it was easy for him to oblige us, no permit, no bs. In our early twenties still living in NY my brother jumped the hoops and got a pistol permit, I didnt bother and just bought an occassional rifle or shotgun, by walking into a store and exchanging money. This was on LI, suburban hell, same as being within 30 miles of Boston, now imagine a nonshooting dad living in MA and wanting to help his teenage sons start shooting. Much bigger challenge. Sorry to beat a dead horse but MA is an outlier and screwed.

Was anyone at the gun show spreading the word? Seems like the best recruitment center for the cause. Maybe there were people there, I couldn't make it

Was anyone at the gun show spreading the word? Seems like the best recruitment center for the cause. Maybe there were people there, I couldn't make it

From what was heard at the gun shows was everyone is scared about the pending litigation, which is why there were a lot of people at the show buying. The other side was "The bans wont happen, Nothing to worry about."

Thats not the problem.

I have been passing info on to my club in NH

I was legitimately embarrassed to find out MA was one of the few states that actually registers guns. When I heard that even NY didn't register long guns, I about cried. And what makes me even more angry, is that we've been fingerprinted like criminals. And they check our IDs to buy ammo??

Un-American. Big Gov. run amok.

Sales and transfers of firearms are registered, firearms per se are not registered in MA.

I talked to 3 gun owners today at work about "whats going on with gun laws"
One went to the Marlborough gun show, one went ice fishing and one doesn't care. [sad2]
I said check out NES for news about upcoming events. He said "I did but it only showed the last rally (1/19) I said you have to dig into the posts!

The second one said he went ice fishing and only has a limited times to go ice fishing. (come on what is more important?)
The third said he didnt know anything about a rally. (I gave hime the date to Feb 8th and also the loink to this forum for future events and news).

But my point is PEOPLE DO NOT KNOW WHAT IS GOING ON?
They dont know the laws being submitted at the state and federal level.

WE NEED TO EDUCATE THESE PEOPLE!
This could be THE most important times of our 2A times!

If these laws pass, we may need to "take it to the next level" which we alll dont want to do"

Tell them to sign up for email alerts on It's Time 2A!

I think people need to do more to ensure rallies/meetings/etc are posted at both their range and local shop. A lot of the traffic at those places are already inclined to support us but might not know what's coming up.

Mark my words, we are a dying species. Gun ownership is doomed. Look at our numbers... Less that 4% of Mass population is licensed to own a gun (maybe less than 10% of all adults?). The majority can simply vote us out, aka, abolish the 2nd. Just wait when more mass killings are brewing. Sandy Hook can and will happen again. The pols and the larger populace won't waste any opportunities to chip away gun ownership until the 2nd is gone... In 20 years or sooner. Sorry to deflate you. It's the changing demographics, folks. Tell me I'm wrong!!!

What's wrong with gun owners isn't a lack of communication about rallies and meetings. It's that, for most gun owners, the very idea of attending rallies or meetings is considered kinda weird because it's just a hobby to them.

If you had signed up at ItisTime2A.org you would have received the following today:

2's Day Call to Action

I hope to get better each week by including a bill to target with statistics and talking points.

Gun owners are taking action but we need a unified, coordinated action to achieve results.

Join us at ItsTime2A.org

Back
Top Bottom