What is with Gun shops?.....

This isn’t the first time. Different shop. But let’s say this shop advertised a certain firearm. So you call. They say “yup we still have some available. They aren’t here yet. But they’re ordered and should be here next week. If you want one. You need to pay in advance” no problem. Boom. Paid.

fast forward 3 weeks. Still nothing. So my theory is. They did a ‘group buy’ without telling anyone it was a group buy. Collected a bunch of orders. Then actually placed the order. But I know for a fact this firearm is on intergalactic backorder. And was optimistic when they said it was already ordered and will be in next week. Total Lie.
I’ll be lucky to see this thing by May.

so a message to FFLs. Don’t do this shit. Because you can guarantee I am never returning. And never recommending anyone to that store. Just be honest with people. I don’t want to hear a new excuse or story every week.

Had a shop advertise P365XL's in stock. Went down to check them out and they said "We only have two and they are spoken for but you can order one". So I don't know if they are in short supply or they're waiting to place a larger order.

fast forward 3 weeks. Still nothing. So my theory is. They did a ‘group buy’ without telling anyone it was a group buy. Collected a bunch of orders. Then actually placed the order.

That is possible. It is also possible that they are relaying the information they have been given by their distributor.
I have a vendor that is so notoriously inaccurate when quoting lead times, that I ask for ship dates in writing so I can show them to my customer when the lead times are doubled. My policy is that I pass along information exactly as it is given to me, and then tell the customer what I really think will happen. "They say three week lead time, which probably translates to 4-5 weeks. Tell your customer 6 weeks because no one gets mad when things arrive early."

ETA - Or they could just be scumbags. But I don't know why a reputable shop would want to do this. Who would want to deal with all the angry phone calls everyday?

This isn’t the first time. Different shop. But let’s say this shop advertised a certain firearm. So you call. They say “yup we still have some available. They aren’t here yet. But they’re ordered and should be here next week. If you want one. You need to pay in advance” no problem. Boom. Paid.

fast forward 3 weeks. Still nothing. So my theory is. They did a ‘group buy’ without telling anyone it was a group buy. Collected a bunch of orders. Then actually placed the order. But I know for a fact this firearm is on intergalactic backorder. And was optimistic when they said it was already ordered and will be in next week. Total Lie.

so a message to FFLs. Don’t do this shit. Because you can guarantee I am never returning. And never recommending anyone to that store. Just be honest with people. I don’t want to hear a new excuse or story every week.
Yup, then they get super pissed when get what you want online and during the transfer they hit u with higher transfer fee. Had that happen before.

Yup, then they get super pissed when get what you want online and during the transfer they hit u with higher transfer fee. Had that happen before.

that would be a perfectly good excuse for ME to find a new shop and never go to the old one again...AND ‘out’ them on my local firearms forum to help other folks from making the same mistake of shopping there to begin with.

...out the shop!

that would be a perfectly good excuse for ME to find a new shop and never go to the old one again...AND ‘out’ them on my local firearms forum to help other folks from making the same mistake of shopping there to begin with.

...out the shop!
Believe me, I don’t or did ever go back after that.

Why would you agree to buy a gun at a dealer that doesn't exist? I'm going to guess this wasn't anything particularly special, or the pricing wasn't exceptionally good or
something, either.

The whole point of a retail FFL is to be able to touch the thing before you buy it.

-Mike

I’ll out them when this gets settled and I have the facts and not so much angry speculation. I talked to them Monday. They promised to call back with answers. I haven’t got a call back. Lol.

I’ll out them when this gets settled and I have the facts and not so much angry speculation. I talked to them Monday. They promised to call back with answers. I haven’t got a call back. Lol.

Awesome. That might also be a great time to start a rant thread. [troll]

In the future, do biz with the lgs that you see being given good reps here. Jack.

That wouldn't surprise me. I called them a few days ago:
Do you have a Sig P220 Legion in stock?
Nope - they are back ordered
When can get one in?
No idea - anything else I can help you with?
Nope

would you rather they tell you a story that they have some coming any day now when they really don't know?

When can get one in?
Nope

Not for nothing, but he did directly answer the question that was asked and followed up with "anything else I can help you with?". Not sure what else he could have done WRT your inquiry for a P220 Legion... Could have have also been a busy day and may have had no time for chit chat???

Not for nothing, but he did directly answer the question that was asked and followed up with "anything else I can help you with?". Not sure what else he could have done WRT your inquiry for a P220 Legion... Could have have also been a busy day and may have had no time for chit chat???

It was more of the way he said it - like he could have cared less.

I'm not sure what more he could do here. If he doesn't know when they're coming in how can he care more? I suppose he could try to sell you something else but there's not really anything I can think of that might be comparable, that's a pretty specific piece as opposed to say a 229 legion/226 legion that he could try to talk you into the other if they had one and not the other.

I know exactly what you mean. Maybe the guy was having a bad day, maybe his default setting is douchenozzle, maybe he just found out his wife is banging a Bernie Bro, but would it have killed him to simply answer.... " It's hard to tell how quickly it would come in. Sometimes it can take a while, sometimes they surprise us."

When he said " anything else I can help you with", you should have said " Yeah, do you have the number to Collectors Gallery Firearms handy?"

If a shop is really waiting for their inventory, there will ne bo problem refunding a prepayment. If they ordered only because you paid, it's a different story. The refund policy will tell all.

If you want a tough to get gun from Four Seasons, go in when they are not busy and try to get an audience with Carl.

It’s not four seasons. That place is too full of first timers for me. Plus if you’re delayed. Even if the state calls and approves the same day or the day after. Four seasons does NOT call you. Ever. They don’t care. They’d rather just make more S&W shield sales. Lol. I don’t shop there anymore.

When can get one in?
Nope

I would rather that than “not in stock but we are getting them in 7 days bro!! They go fast so you need to pay in full to secure one”. 4 weeks later............. nothing. Lol

I would rather that than “not in stock but we are getting them in 7 days bro!! They go fast so you need to pay in full to secure one”. 4 weeks later............. nothing. Lol
They did not say "bro"
LG S are at the mercy of the vendors/distributors so if hes using X distributor and a b and c LGS spend more than your shop d guess who gets his stuff last.
Also depending on the shop they could be the old school it comes in when it comes in.
i say go get your money back and when these oh so special pistols are not oh so special in 5-8 months pick one up on a shelf for less.

We live in the Age of Instant Gratification. If the item we want isn't available RIGHT NOW and we can't get it in our hands Immediately, we're either pissed off at the Dealer, or Pissed off that the Dealer can't get the Next Day. Most people are shopping for the LOWEST price, and I can understand it (At times, I do the same thing too) When you call a Dealer, do you make several calls to DIFFERENT dealers? I bet you do right? To find the BEST price point possible. WE ALL do it........ People do it all the time, and maybe, just maybe, the dealer has fielded a couple dozen calls for the same guns within ohhh... a couple hours...Hell I dunno... but it may be possible
To the OP Lewis.........For a Sig P220 Legion.... Maybe going Straight to the Sig Pro Shop in Exeter NH might be your only option at this point......Yes, you'll pay shipping to your LGS but you'll have it right away....
IF SIG doesn't have it.....Nobody will..... right?

We live in the Age of Instant Gratification. If the item we want isn't available RIGHT NOW and we can't get it in our hands Immediately, we're either pissed off at the Dealer, or Pissed off that the Dealer can't get the Next Day. Most people are shopping for the LOWEST price, and I can understand it (At times, I do the same thing too) When you call a Dealer, do you make several calls to DIFFERENT dealers? I bet you do right? To find the BEST price point possible. WE ALL do it........ People do it all the time, and maybe, just maybe, the dealer has fielded a couple dozen calls for the same guns within ohhh... a couple hours...Hell I dunno... but it may be possible
Yeah! Screw potential customers for asking questions about items they’re looking to buy!

To the OP Lewis.........For a Sig P220 Legion.... Maybe going Straight to the Sig Pro Shop in Exeter NH might be your only option at this point......Yes, you'll pay shipping to your LGS but you'll have it right away....
IF SIG doesn't have it.....Nobody will..... right?

never said i was getting a p220 legion. that was some random that posted his own experience. I am actually buying a sig MCX. and I didnt go price hunting. I went to whoever had one. they told me they were on the way. I didn't order it. Thats the point. They told me they were already on order and inbound. So I paid in full like they said I had to. I just wish dealers were more up front instead of just trying to score sales. Because a used one popped up 2 weeks later. And I could have just bought that. has nothing to do with instant gratification or being impatient. Has EVERYTHING to do with just spewing lies to lock in the sale.

Back
Top Bottom