What is this rifle from the original Magnum PI

Saw this a few weeks ago, curious to know what it is. Looks like a M1 carbine in ways. Thanks

AC52F8D6-BBDA-430B-8484-A70F4E862699.jpeg

Attachments

• A326CA2B-3407-48EA-822C-6F6E7E0B41E6.jpeg
    A326CA2B-3407-48EA-822C-6F6E7E0B41E6.jpeg
    300.2 KB · Views: 32
  • EC020417-CE59-41C7-A829-48DC106A81B5.jpeg
    EC020417-CE59-41C7-A829-48DC106A81B5.jpeg
    292.6 KB · Views: 32
Thanks. The front half looked mini 14 to me but I didn’t think minis had a receiver like that (never paid attention at all to mini 14s, not a gun that’s ever interested me)

181 series Mini-14 GB (Government Barrel) model. GB=added threaded barrel, flash hider, combined winged sight assembly with USGI bayonet lug set back far enough to allow for the use of STANAG rifle/tear gas grenades. Occasionally had the gas block sling swivel on the side if using a Mousquiton AMD style stock (French Mini-14) with a M1 Carbine style sling cutout in the stock or the factory folding stocks.

Last edited:
Worst part, didn't they make some full auto versions.
Um. the AC-556.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H5Dcys50K80

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1SsVahzSp8&feature=emb_rel_end

RugerAC556Catalog.jpg

I believe in scenes where he actually fired he used a 9x19 1911 since 45 blanks are crappy. In scenes where he didn't fire, they swapped for a 45.
One of those Spanish 1911 copies in 9mm that eliminated the grip safety. Star Modeleo B or whatever they are called. Same deal as Samuel L. Jackson's character in Pulp Fiction.

got one, 584 series, warranty replacement of a 582, and it's actually not too bad...degassed, bedded, and the later taper barrel with a muzzle brace...but yeah, that's funny. Prior to last cleaning it started stringing shots big time....and prior to putting a smaller gas bushing (stock is .085", I go with .03"-.04"), the harmonics will start up and the whole thing will start this tinnitus sound. Buffers can help, but I hear they can also mess things up. It's a violent little gun, I broke reticles on 2 scopes that other 5.56's handle just fine, finally went with a Leupold 2-7. Best fun is whacking a shooter 6 lanes away with the brass, and getting to sweep every station to your right, and clear most of the tables.

One of those Spanish 1911 copies in 9mm that eliminated the grip safety. Star Modeleo B or whatever they are called. Same deal as Samuel L. Jackson's character in Pulp Fiction.
Yeah, after I posted this I thought "hmm, I think it was a Star Model B." Good call.

got one, 584 series, warranty replacement of a 582, and it's actually not too bad...degassed, bedded, and the later taper barrel with a muzzle brace...but yeah, that's funny. Prior to last cleaning it started stringing shots big time....and prior to putting a smaller gas bushing (stock is .085", I go with .03"-.04"), the harmonics will start up and the whole thing will start this tinnitus sound. Buffers can help, but I hear they can also mess things up. It's a violent little gun, I broke reticles on 2 scopes that other 5.56's handle just fine, finally went with a Leupold 2-7. Best fun is whacking a shooter 6 lanes away with the brass, and getting to sweep every station to your right, and clear most of the tables.
Front 1911 buffer at the gas pipe causes issues. You only want a reduced gas port bushing or an adjustable gas block at the front. 1911 buffer at the rear of the operating rod guide makes a world of difference with the reduced gas from the front end to not beat the action to death. Ruger has the rifles ridiculously over gassed even for the crappiest underpower steel cased Russian garbage ammo on the market in Alaskan winter temperatures

Front 1911 buffer at the gas pipe causes issues. You only want a reduced gas port bushing or an adjustable gas block at the front. 1911 buffer at the rear of the operating rod guide makes a world of difference with the reduced gas from the front end to not beat the action to death. Ruger has the rifles ridiculously over gassed even for the crappiest underpower steel cased Russian garbage ammo on the market in Alaskan winter temperatures
rumor has it that the old barrels would warp so bad when hot and throw off accuracy that turning the rifle 90 degrees and spraying spent cartridges at the bad guys would be more effective. A-team never learned this trick.

rumor has it that the old barrels would warp so bad when hot and throw off accuracy that turning the rifle 90 degrees and spraying spent cartridges at the bad guys would be more effective. A-team never learned this trick.
The old barrels were the same as M16A1 barrels. The issue was barrel whip exacerbated by the operating rod impact on the gas block shearing against the gas port bushing. The GB models with a muzzle device and the sight/bayonet lug assembly mid barrel were weighted and stiffened sufficiently to maintain better accuracy. The 581+ series produced after 2005 changed to a heavier flanged barrel at the gas block to eliminate the whip increasing shearing action on the bottom of the barrel at the gas bushing and change it to an even impact around the barrel.

Thanks. The front half looked mini 14 to me but I didn’t think minis had a receiver like that (never paid attention at all to mini 14s, not a gun that’s ever interested me)
Older model before they cheaper out on the sites
Worst part, didn't they make some full auto versions.
Ac 556 thinking this will be my first MG

Back
Top Bottom