1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2. Dismiss Notice

What is this invasive Plant?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by zboys, May 16, 2019.

1. zboys

zboys NES Member

This plant started out in a small area and each year it seems to spread wildly, very easy to knock over and kill but new ones come right up. Is there a way to kill it other than flooding my yard with gas?
    20181012_124158.jpg 20181012_124152.jpg 20181012_124146.jpg

2. EddieA

EddieA NES Member

No idea about the plant, but what's up with the truck?

AHM likes this.
  3. 10thSFFD

10thSFFD NES Member

It looks like Japanese Knotweed. Wait for a hot day and spray it with Roundup. Make sure you spray leaves (not the ground). The problem with this plant is the root system which is difficult to remove because plant can start from any piece of a root left in the soil. Roundup will kill the roots. Roundup will get to roots via leaves. Do not apply Roundup when it may rain. After you will apply it, plants will dry out. Let them stand, do not remove them. Next year, if anything will be coming out from the soil again apply Roundup again and you will be done with this invasion.

Uzi2, TLB, quincy and 6 others like this.
  4. Jason m

Jason m NES Member

Its Camo weed, it covers rust, best used on old project trucks.

mwalsh9152, whatluck, beaker and 9 others like this.
  5. 10thSFFD

10thSFFD NES Member

I thought that was a residence generating income! ;)

6. zboys

zboys NES Member

They are parts and pieces for our old power wagon projects

IMG_20171030_173642436.jpg IMG_20171013_162914225.jpg IMG_20171013_162954597_HDR.jpg IMG_20180301_170533121.jpg

7. zboys

zboys NES Member

Sounds like a plan, thank you

8. 10thSFFD

10thSFFD NES Member

AHM, Choctaw and fitzknny like this.
  9. BBQ.Uncle

BBQ.Uncle NES Life Member NES Member

10. 10thSFFD

10thSFFD NES Member

You are welcome! The key is not to disturb the plant after you'll spray it. Be generous and make sure leaves are covered with the spray. Each plant will carry poison to it's roots. My backyard was covered with this plant and I was fighting it for years with no success. Roundup did it for me!

scyllint and zboys like this.
  11. zboys

zboys NES Member

Thanks again, and that picture was taken last fall, they havent gone wild yet, I'll spray soon

12. Fritz the Cat

Fritz the Cat NES Member

This may be a better option for the knotweed. I had it on my last property and it took me 5 years to be rid of it.

13. PaulR

PaulR NES Member

Japanese Knot weed.

14. PaulR

PaulR NES Member

Cut open the stalks and pour the round-up directly down the tubes of the plant.
    That will only hold it off.
    Cover the ground with STEEL plates, this is the only true way to get rid of it.

I would not wish this plant on my worst enemy.

After you've eradicated it with steel plates, plant thick grass/sod so it cannot come up again.

15. arsco

arsco NES Member

Do not be nice fight it like your life depends on it.

Stuff is nasty. will grow up through hot top and concrete. Kill it then kill it some more. When you think you are done killing it kill it again. The before you stop kill it again.

I did not have fun getting rid of it

16. drgrant

drgrant Moderator NES Member

The other f***stick douche plant like this is Oriental Bittersweet. f*** that shit. If you ever see a viney thing with little round red berries on it, set it on fire, tear it out, do whatever, put it in bags and get it the f*** off your property. Don't even leave the berries around, the birds will eat the berries and then shit the seeds around your property and the shit will start growing. Keep it off your house perimeter at all costs. It can start growing on the side of your house, under siding
    etc. It will not stop until it is growing into your roof....

The only good thing about this year being so cold is that douche plant thrives on heat. So when we get a few hot days that stuff will start to grow/bloom rapidly.

-Mike

17. ASHDUMP

ASHDUMP NES Member

18. Prepper

Prepper NES Member

That stuff is way worse than knotweed. I have a knotweed patch behind my tool shed... it minds its own business and is well-behaved. Although, that could be because it isn't fond of shade.

Meanwhile, the bittersweet tries to climb up and smother everything. When I first moved here, I found one of its vines 2 inches wide coiled up a tree trunk and the tree was still trying to grow despite the vine wrapped around, and the vine was cutting in and killing it.

drgrant likes this.
  19. andrew1220

andrew1220 NES Member

THIS!!! I've been battling this plant for the last couple years in my yard. Friggen vines growing underneath the grass. I had to rip out like 10 feet of vine which messed up the grass. It was also growing all over my chain link fence. But it has finally stopped growing now that I've cut it all down.

Another plant to be cautious of is the Yucca plant. This is an impressive plant that I've been battling for almost 3 years. I've got it under control after using tons of herbicide and LOTS of digging to get all of the never ending roots. I had 3 sprout up this year and I will be digging and dumping herbicide AGAIN. FWIW, this yucca plant in my yard had been there since the 30s/40s so it grew into a monsterous plant.
    Post #5 if interested lol:
    yucca plants--

drgrant likes this.
  20. dingbat

dingbat

Right on the money and half way there....

This stuff only takes nutrients in to its roots at certain times of year, so Roundup will kill the tops, but it'll come right back if you don't get the timing right.

Here's how to kill it:

Late June/early July, cut the plants that are growing to half height. The idea is to leave enough leaf to take in plenty of poison later, but make it double it's effort putting out stored energy from the root, and delay flowering. Burn anything you cut off if you can.

When the days start to get shorter and the summer heat breaks 2nd to 3rd week of August, the plant will start taking nutrients in to it's root to store for the winter. This is when you hit it with the poison, hard. Spray every leaf top and bottom. I've had the best luck with the standard Roundup mixing it about 10% stronger than the instructions. You don't want to mix it too strong as it needs the water for good transmission to the root. I like to wear a mask and tyvek suit, and use a hudson sprayer. Start at the down wind side of the patch and work my way through it, walking backwards spraying down wind, to the windward side.

If at any time you see it budding, cut or spray it then. Do not let it flower if you can help it.

enbloc and andrew1220 like this.
  21. Jason m

Jason m NES Member

Please tell me one of those will be getting a 4BT or a Detroit 3/53 or 4/53. I like how you put a Chevy 60 in the front, im assuming a 14 bolt rear? Drop me a pm if you ever need parts TH400's, 205's even a rebuilt 350 or 60 parts, got way to much need to thin the heard lol.

22. zboys

zboys NES Member

Mine is staying rusty crusty original, my sons project is the 1941 on a chevy k20 chassis and running gear, his plans is for a diesel powered one.
    He started this one at age 16, its on hold a bit as he went into the army last year.
    I did buy another parts truck yesterday

23. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA NES Member

1. Pretty flowers in August.

2. Makes bad honey. Dark and dank. Pisses off local beekeepers.

3. Roundup? ROUNDUP!?!?!?!?!?!? My god, men. I thought we determined by NES Groupthink that Roundup was the debbil just last week. How DARE someone recommend a member use Roundup. His weiner's gonna fall off by Independence Day if he does this.

CatSnoutSoup and 10thSFFD like this.
  24. enbloc

enbloc NES Life Member NES Member

"There's Japanese in that Knotweed that don't know the War's over..."
    ~Enbloc

AHM likes this.
  25. Mountain

Mountain NES Member

There's a 'Poison Ivy / Oak' version of Roundup that works particularly well on this type of growth.

26. Fritz the Cat

Fritz the Cat NES Member

View: https://youtu.be/1qFiS1cSgRU

For you Mopar fans here, my buddy Lindsey is building a street rod from a '57 D100.
    And behind his shop is covered in knotweed. So it relates to this thread.

zboys likes this.
  27. zboys

zboys NES Member

Knotweed appears to love Dodges

Fritz the Cat likes this.
  28. chindogg

chindogg NES Member

Yes it is Japanese Knotweed. Roundup? Good luck with that! I've hacked it down and poured Agent Orange into the saucer like recessions within minutes and it didn't even touch it. I've heard of people getting a backhoe to dig out the roots.

29. 10thSFFD

10thSFFD NES Member

As I have posted, the trick with Roundup is connected to spraying it on a hot day and giving enough time to leaves to distribute poison all the way to the roots. This is why you need to let plants dry and not touch them for the rest of the year. Touching it, or digging out roots, will disturb the poison and plants will grow again because they can start even from a very small part of the stem or a root. There are 2 Roundup options. Buy the one which is intended for bushes. I had a backyard covered with knotweed and I have tried everything. This process was relatively short and least expensive. You just have to understand that your yard, after you'll spray it, will look like California in August for few months.

30. jron

jron NES Member

Dig it up and plant in your liberal neighbors garden as a gift.

AHM, 10thSFFD and scyllint like this.