• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What is the worst disaster New England has faced?

Ice storm of 2008.

Some areas in NH were without grid power for over 2 weeks. My aunt and uncle in Hollis were line down for about 15 days if I remember correctly.

In my experience - the ice storm of 2008 and the Blizzard of 78 are the two worst. But the thing with New England is - it's really hard to get a "disaster" that affects the whole area.

I see people mentioning flooding - but even during those storms last year or the year before when VT got slammed - all that was to me was a bunch of rain. Pretty much the same with all the hurricanes we've gotten over the years.

During the 2008 ice storm - things in my area and further north were pretty screwed up for days - and power was out for quite a while (5 days for me) - but get in the car and go down to the 128 belt - and things were fine, except for the fact that there wasn't a generator to be had within 100 miles.

I remember the Blizzard of 78 as being pretty screwed up - roads were not plowed for days - and there were people everywhere riding snowmobiles around. We took off on cross country skis - and got around to get things done.

My personal definition of disaster is something where stuff is all broken and busted up (think houses washing into the ocean) - and people are getting killed. So by that definition even the ice storm and 78 blizzard aren't 'disasters' for the vast majority of people - they're just a really big pain in the ass.

To me most New England "disasters" are pretty much localized - which also means if you pay attention you can situate yourself to avoid them relatively easily.

Coming from Alaska, I'm hearing a lot of whining.

I lived in Juneau AND Barrow.

A lesson on temperature:
At -50 F, when you spit, your spittle will freeze upon contact with the pavement and will make and audible *pop* upon said contact.
At -75 F, your spittle will *pop* as it leaves your mouth....

In these temperatures, you bundle up in anti-PETA approved clothes. Rabbit hats. Sealskin gloves. Deer parkas. goggles and earmuffs so your eyes don't freeze and your ear drums don't freeze.

grab your entire closet and put it on. And hell, you're only in November.

What's the worst New England has shown me? A pissing contest about 3 years ago with a bunch of ice. I missed the '78 blizzard in NE, because I was shovelling out 12' of snow from the second story door so I could go to school.

My house had a magic second story door that lead to nowhere. Until it snowed. Then the first floor was snowed in, and we used the 2nd story door to get in and out of the house.

So.....what's that about 10" of snow?

Excellent point - "disasters" are relative.

That's a good one. If something like that happened in this day and age it would be a HUGE disaster - what with the massive amounts of people - who are dependent on modern farming methods - and a JIT food distribution system.

Yeah, fuhgettaboutit. It would be the ultimate test + natural selection. Leeches wouldn't even see it coming until their stomachs can't be filled with McDonald's anymore OR Walmart closing. Thoughts like this just make me want to stop and get off this Earth.

Hurricane Bob from 1991 was pretty bad. I think only like a category 3 but it did a lot of damage and was one of the costliest hurricanes in New England history. We had a summer house in Wareham and that area got spanked pretty bad. Our house was about 200 yards back from the bay but several surges came down the street and crashed through the garage door and flooded the basement with 5 feet of water. There were boats from the bay in our neighbors yard.

That's a good one. If something like that happened in this day and age it would be a HUGE disaster - what with the massive amounts of people - who are dependent on modern farming methods - and a JIT food distribution system.

That's interesting, it's due to that volcanic eruption, that we have Mormons!

Hurricane of 1938 death toll was around 600.

My grandmother took the following picture of post storm flooding in her Central Mass town. The water in the pic is around 20 feet above normal. ALL the bridges into town were destroyed -- town was isolated by road until they were rebuilt. Their fire station washed away.

flood-of-1938.jpg

We've had Indian wars , a revolutionary war , a smallpox plague , a flu pandemic , a religious killing of heretics in Salem , ... A crapload of hurricanes , and blizzards.

Civil war and plague are still possibilities. So is famine if the lights or petrol go out. Plus we've got a major tectonic plate fault line waiting to blow , a tsunami potential pointed at us from the Canary Islands , a reactor in Seabrook , and Jihadi shitheads seem fond of Boston.

Great flu Pandemic 1918-1919

The first recorded cases of virulent influenza in the United States occured in Boston. On August 27th, 1918 several sailors at the Commonwealth Pier reported sick with influenza. By the next day, there were eight new cases. On the third day, August 29th, there were 58 cases. These men were sent to the Chelsea Naval Hospital; from this hospital, the disease spread rapidly into the city of Boston and the rest of the state...

In Boston, however, state officials were correct in assuming that the situation had begun to improve slightly. By late October, the city's death rate had probably dropped to fifty deaths from influenza per day. If true, this would have been a dramatic improvement as the PHS estimated that there had been at least 4,000 deaths from influenza between September 8th and October 25th alone.

...As ground-zero for the pandemic, Massachusett's became a focal point for post-pandemic studies. In the late 1920's, to PHS statisticians estimated that between September 1, 1918 and January 16, 1919, approximately 45,000 people died from influenza in Massachusetts alone. Horrific as these figures are, many historians believe that the number of influenza-related deaths in Massachusetts during this period was probably higher.

http://www.flu.gov/pandemic/history/1918/your_state/northeast/massachusetts/

The great northeast blackout of 1965 knocked out 30 million on the east coast and Canada. I wouldn't call this a disaster, but the potential was there.

Back
Top Bottom