• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What is the "minimum gun" you feel adequate carrying?

I was told by several people that carrying a five shot .38 snubby in today's dangerous world is no longer enough protection because a lot of bad guys work in groups now. Some of these guys don't leave home without a kitted out RMR on the slide Glock 19 and 3 spare mags, total of 60+1 rounds on them.

Where does NES land in this area? What *amount of gun* would you feel is good enough for EDC where you live and travel when out and about?

Based on the build quality and questions I used to see on r/polymer80, I'll be fine with a .38 or .380, or whatever I am carrying against one of these 80% gangbanger pieces.

In a drive-by barrage or a heavy attack with multiple home invaders I'd prefer something more robust, but half these ass clowns would fall to anyone with even a little training and the will to do what needs to be done.

Having a fancy gun with a lot of gadgets doesn't mean they know how to use those tools to their advantage, or that the guns will even work when it comes time to use them.

This. This would make me feel adequate.
1673307713495.jpeg I know. I know it was in another thread.

I carry a LC9S. With 2 spare mags. Probably don’t even need the extra mags.

Last edited:
You should stick to the Off-Topic forum. This is supposed to be serious gun discussion thread.
Serious? LOL not gonna happen here. I did post that the pocket carry G43 was my minimum if carrying, and a knife if in a situation that carrying can get me thrown in the pokey.

Minimum of eleven rounds of 9mm.
Then a reload in my pocket.
And if I really think I need that and then two of those same pistols, plus another mag.
I intend on arming another to get into the fight!

We talking going to my local gas station or a Methachusetts town like Worcester at 2am?
I was at a BJs with the gf loading up the car mid afternoon around 3pm on a Sunday and this big tall black guy started yelling at me from 50 feet away, holding a cane and started sprinting towards me with the cane. Hopped in and locked the door and flicked off the safety on my P30 lol. Never seen a man with a cane run so fast.

Last edited:
I had a .40 Taurus and the damage to my ego suffered at the hands of this group was too much to bare.
My new years resolution is to be nicer to .40 owners.

But Taurus owners, f*ck that.

Wished it were legal to just carry a SMG on a shoulder/neck 1 point sling. Unzip jacket and there you have a MP7 or P90 dangling from your neck.

9mm

38 snub if it was all I could possible have for some reason. I'd never carry anything less than that if self defense was my purpose.

I'd use whatever I had in my hand....like if I was plinking with a 22 and some maniac emerged from the woods with an axe well then I guess he'd be getting shot with a 22.

proxy-image

I was at a BJs loading up my car mid afternoon around 3pm on a Sunday and this big tall black guy started yelling at me from 50 feet away, holding a cane and started sprinting towards me with the cane. Hopped in my car and locked the door and flicked off the safety on my P30 lol. Never seen a man with a cane run so fast.
You're not supposed to load your car with stuff other people paid for.

We talking going to my local gas station or a Methachusetts town like Worcester at 2am?
If you’re at a point where you have to pull your CC in Worcester (or anywhere in MA for that matter), you’ve already lost. f*** that state. You’ll likely be rotting away in jail for shooting the hood rat that attacked you, and you‘re now broke, jobless, and homeless (unless you consider MCI Cedar Junction a home). Meanwhile, BLM is raising money off his death to buy their fifth mansion in a predominantly white neighborhood in Orange County, CA.

Of course. Always shoot to stop a threat cause you're in fear of your life, not to draw a smiley face of holes in his chest lol.
Hahahaha! My wife is such a deadeye with her .22 Bearcat that when I asked her what the hell was going on with all those fliers, she told me she was working on a smiley face on her target. She's fun like that.
Anyone carry a backup? Ankle holster?
Who the hell can reach their ankle? Oh, wait, are you one of those young, buff smartalecks? Not sure why a second firearm is called a backup. If I don't have one on each side, I feel out of balance. Like I might start listing to one side and end up walking in circles. When I tell people I wear a brace, I ain't shitting.

I was told by several people that carrying a five shot .38 snubby in today's dangerous world is no longer enough protection because a lot of bad guys work in groups now. Some of these guys don't leave home without a kitted out RMR on the slide Glock 19 and 3 spare mags, total of 60+1 rounds on them.

Where does NES land in this area? What *amount of gun* would you feel is good enough for EDC where you live and travel when out and about?
Most people are stuck in the 80's when it comes to bullet design. That's where all this 'it has to be xx or bigger to be effective'.

Against unarmored threats, almost anything will get the point across. If they are wearing multiple layers, like now (winter), you may run into a situation where you need additional penetration to get your feelings truly applied. Find the .38 round you want to carry, do some research into how well it penetrates through multiple layers of typical clothing.

9mm is fine for 99.9% of encounters that go sideways, if it's a newer bullet design. I'm sure it's the same for .38, which I'd imagine would be 'hotter' than standard 9mm out of a similar barrel length.

edit, because I always think of something the split second I hit the 'save' button:

I don't carry smaller than a 9mm because I simply don't like the ergonomics of smaller handguns. My 43x is a PITA to shoot well, I end up bleeding about 1/2 the time from slidebite. I'd carry my 9mm G23, but it's just a tad heavy for what I feel like carrying day to day, not a concealability issue.

I was at a BJs loading up my car mid afternoon around 3pm on a Sunday and this big tall black guy started yelling at me from 50 feet away, holding a cane and started sprinting towards me with the cane. Hopped in my car and locked the door and flicked off the safety on my P30 lol. Never seen a man with a cane run so fast.
What was his problem? What happened after you got in the car?

Back
Top Bottom