• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What is the minimum age of shooting in MA?

Uzi's make great guns for little first timers.
I know it is a joke but .........yeah that is just wrong.

- - - Updated - - -

How old a kid needs to be to take him to the range and shoot real gun?
There is no law that says a child has to be a certain age to shoot a "real gun". Your kid.......your decision. I started my son off at age 9.....with a henry 22lr lever action rifle and me standing right next to him the whole time.

Too soon, you say?

The 8 year old boy in Westfield who killed himself in 2008 - what was he shooting? C'mon, it wasn't that long ago. Anyone remember?

An Uzi.

Its not too soon, or in poor taste - its a reminder. People are ****ing dumb. People need to remember these aren't toys or play things to be handed over to little kids to try out.

Too soon, you say?

The 8 year old boy in Westfield who killed himself in 2008 - what was he shooting? C'mon, it wasn't that long ago. Anyone remember?

An Uzi.

Its not too soon, or in poor taste - its a reminder. People are ****ing dumb. People need to remember these aren't toys or play things to be handed over to little kids to try out.

You are aware that a guy was killed two days ago in AZ by a 9 year old that was allowed to shoot an uzi right? So yeah.....too soon.

I took my son shooting when he was 8. We started with a rested Ruger 10/22 and 1 shot in the magazine.

Well aware. You're missing my point.
I'm not missing the point. I get that you are trying to make a statement that giving an uzi to a kid is stupid and quite relavent right now.........my point however is why make a joke about it........a guy died....and probably scarred a little girl and her family mentally for life......and also hurt national opinion of gun owners a bit more due to his stupidity. So a joke is not the best way to go about in.......in my opinion

Additinally this forum is trolled by the anti constantly.....and would have no problem cutting and pasting your joke......into their own forums......of course taken out of context and state.....see......gun owners think uzis belong in the hands of kids

Last edited:
God, I love your avatar.

I'm not missing the point. I get that you are trying to make a statement that giving an uzi to a kid is stupid and quite relavent right now.........my point however is why make a joke about it........a guy died....and probably scarred a little girl and her family mentally for life......and also hurt national opinion of gun owners a bit more due to his stupidity. So a joke is not the best way to go about in.......in my opinion

Additinally this forum is trolled by the anti constantly.....and would have no problem cutting and pasting your joke......into their own forums......of course taken out of context and state.....see......gun owners think uzis belong in the hands of kids

IMHO, 8-10.

I see some guys here start their kids at 6-7. That's a little to0 young for my taste.

I think 8-10 is where the seriousness of the situation sets in for the kids. 6-7 they still think everything is a toy, Santa is real, etc etc.

EDIT: Woops, guys, this is the law section and this guy is asking a serious question............like, there is a law somewhere...or ought to be a law somewhere......

Last edited:

If you believe my comment was in poor taste or runs the risk of adding fire to the flames of anti's so be it - some may agree with you. I noted the Westfield incident to point out that this most recent event is not new, therefore the "too soon" notion is bunk - this same event happened already - and we didn't learn or act accordingly. I jest because events like this, in my opinion, are the greatest threat to our rights and greatest source of anti fodder - more so than mass murders with bushmasters. So in my frustration and concern with the fall out - I make a joke.

When "responsible gun owners" place FA mini uzi's in the hands of minors resulting in death, when police shoot themselves in the leg in front of a room full of kids - its next to impossible to argue that we are responsible gun owners who pride ourselves on safety, sport, and our individual rights. Because in these catastrophic moments - we are not concerned with safety, sport or our individual rights. In these moments we prove the anti's argument. So, yes, I am saddened, pissed off, and annoyed - that we are own worst enemy.

If you believe my comment was in poor taste or runs the risk of adding fire to the flames of anti's so be it - some may agree with you. I noted the Westfield incident to point out that this most recent event is not new, therefore the "too soon" notion is bunk - this same event happened already - and we didn't learn or act accordingly. I jest because events like this, in my opinion, are the greatest threat to our rights and greatest source of anti fodder - more so than mass murders with bushmasters. So in my frustration and concern with the fall out - I make a joke.

When "responsible gun owners" place FA mini uzi's in the hands of minors resulting in death, when police shoot themselves in the leg in front of a room full of kids - its next to impossible to argue that we are responsible gun owners who pride ourselves on safety, sport, and our individual rights. Because in these catastrophic moments - we are not concerned with safety, sport or our individual rights. In these moments we prove the anti's argument. So, yes, I am saddened, pissed off, and annoyed - that we are own worst enemy.

I'm asking this because the commetn I bolded is interesting to me. How are "we" as gun owners supposed to react when a dumb ass hands a kid a fire arm waaaay outside the limit of the kids ability and a trajedy occurs? What would you recommend me as a fire arm owner do to react? After all.....I didn't hand a child an uzi.

Proliferate common sense and good judgement. Would you feel safe standing in the stall next to what happened in AZ?

I think we are now starting to come full circle - and maybe now you are getting my point.

Given the events of Westfield and AZ, the answer would appear to be no. And in the eyes of anti's - certainly not.

Proliferate common sense and good judgement. Would you feel safe standing in the stall next to what happened in AZ?

Of course not. But I was not there. I have actually made my opinions known at ranges when folks on the line were being stupid......even left a public range once becuase the place allowed people (after me voicing my concern) to load semi auto pistols from the bench behind the line and turn around to shoot them. But what does me not feeling safe next to a situation like that have to do with me personally as a gun owner?

I think we are now starting to come full circle - and maybe now you are getting my point.

Given the events of Westfield and AZ, the answer would appear to be no. And in the eyes of anti's - certainly not.

Yeah.....guess we did come full cirlce....to the point we already knew.....that we agree that handing an uzi to a child is dumb. My suggestion still stands......rather than make a joke about a guy dying just let your voice be heard.

Just PLEASE start with a .22 single shot rifle from a rest. Jack.

This. Make the first time fun or you're digging yourself a deep hole. Subsonic ammo and a very close target also help. I started my kids at 5 yards. Even kids want to shoot small groups. If you start them back too far they WILL get frustrated.

For the record my kids started from the bench at 2. That's 2 years old. And all they like at that age is the bang. But they do love it! [smile]

My 9 year olds favorite gun is now an SKS. He won't shoot anything under 7.62 now, lol. He shoots supported off the bench or kneeling and I have to help him hold it up because it's too heavy.

Pistols are another ball game. Both my 7 and 9 boys have shot only 22 target pistols from the bench. They aren't allowed to shoot anything larger yet.

Last edited:
This. Make the first time fun or you're digging yourself a deep hole. Subsonic ammo and a very close target also help. I started my kids at 5 yards. Even kids want to shoot small groups. If you start them back too far they WILL get frustrated.

For the record my kids started from the bench at 2. That's 2 years old. And all they like at that age is the bang. But they do love it! [smile]

My 9 year olds favorite gun is now an SKS. He won't shoot anything under 7.62 now, lol. He shoots supported off the bench or kneeling and I have to help him hold it up because it's too heavy.

Pistols are another ball game. Both my 7 and 9 boys have shot only 22 target pistols from the bench. They aren't allowed to shoot anything larger yet.
My boy has been adicted to 7.62 x 54r out of our mosin collection for awhile now.....he was 12 the first time he shot em.........and the smile on his face was priceless.....I have it on video! Now he loves the big bore stuff and is hooked on the 50 cal muzzle loader too! shoots 357 magnum out of my snub like a champ too! But I started him out small and worked him up

My boy has been adicted to 7.62 x 54r out of our mosin collection for awhile now.....he was 12 the first time he shot em.........and the smile on his face was priceless.....I have it on video! Now he loves the big bore stuff and is hooked on the 50 cal muzzle loader too! shoots 357 magnum out of my snub like a champ too! But I started him out small and worked him up
Amazing how quick they get used to the noise and recoil. (I never have"!) Jack.

I was 10 when my uncle took me and my cousin out back and taught us basic firearms safety and marksmanship. We shot bolt action .22's at tin cans and competed for sodas.

I never wet thirsty and have been hooked ever since. Thanks uncle Bob. R.I.P.

Interesting

My daughter will be 3 in December and I was thinking airsoft/rubber pellets next spring and maybe pellet gun in the fall or when she is four, then let her tell me when she is ready for the 22. My wife is generally on board, but we're not going to "push" anything on her.

Were you worried about impulse control and generally lack of patience at that age with them. (I mean obviously not, but I'm trying to pick your brain.)

My boy is 16 and I trust him to be respectful and safe more than most of the "adults" I see at the range when I pull up some days.

Back
Top Bottom