• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What is the longest distance you have shot a rifle at?

What is the longest distance you have shot a rifle at?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
What is the longest distance you have shot at?

Yes hit the target! Longest distance for myself was 1000 yards.

EDIT: Sorry took a while to get the poll done.
EDIT #2: I've got two Molsen XXX's in me. Don't expect the poll <> to work out correctly. [thumbsup]
EDIT#3: A rifle! 5 inch naval guns don't count.

Last edited:
...and hit the target? Back in the late 70's, about 800 yards with an M1A...I was able to see better then [smile]

the guy I was shooting with could hit out to 1000 yds...he ended up on the AZ Natl Guard shooting team...I swear he had binocular vision [thinking]

Last edited:
Have killed a whitetail at 360 yds and an elk at 366. Both one shot. Have only been able to practice regularly out to 200 yds. But shoot longer distance out west.

About 500, scoped .308 and .270 with good groups for me (~4-5"), minimal wind, in Texas. Iron sights on my SKS out to 400, but only do 2-4/10 on the paper depending on wind, but still fun to try. As with many 100 is the norm max range for regular shooting.

Posted using my third arm, that somehow I can no longer live without.

I've shot a lot of 1000 yard matches and whenever we had time and room our team Capt would make us move back, range estimate, and hit black. Furthest back was around 1200+ A bullet trace/vapor trail at 1000 or more looks like a Bert Blyleven curve ball

Pretty regularly shot and hit target at 600 yds before I moved east. That was the longest controlled distance available to me.

If you're counting things other than small arms, I'd reckon my longest shot that hit target was much, much further ;)

I've shot a lot of 1000 yard matches and whenever we had time and room our team Capt would make us move back, range estimate, and hit black. Furthest back was around 1200+ A bullet trace/vapor trail at 1000 or more looks like a Bert Blyleven curve ball

And you can get back on target before the round hits

Do target sniping in MW/MW2/MW3 count? Target listed more than 1000 yards. [wink]

Sent from iPhone 5 using Forum Runner

1000 yards back in 1987 M14, the Chaplin could keep his groups at that range under 18" me not that good. but I was getting there (with irons)

600 meters at the Jericho National Guard base up in VT. 14.5" AR with T-1 (no magnifier). XM193. Good times.

500 yards with iron sights a looong time ago. Now I can barely see a target at 500 yards without a scope.

I regularly shoot at 300 and with a scoped rifle it actually gets kind of boring.

I wish there was a longer range around

1000 yards several times at Camp Atterbury, Indiana (KD targets)

Shooting 12x12 steel plates, first round hits routinely at 750 yards. Iffy after that.

This is all 308 Win out of bolt guns.

Qualified expert on the M2 .50 cal but don't remember the distances for that and I'm thinking its not the type of rifle you are talking about here. So I checked the 300 meter box.

I was trained using an M21 at Fort Meade, MD by the precursor of the AMU to be a SRT sniper. Shot at 1000 meters scoped with an ART II and 5-600 meters with a starlite scope, Very cool. That was super high tech at the time.

Back
Top Bottom