• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What is the diffence between the S&W 442 or 642????..HELP

Is the only difference the color?
Is the 442 blued or anodized?
What is the 642 coated with?
Was wondering which one's finish would stand up better or is it a wash and its just a color choice????

thanks

Last edited:
I looked on the web site and found nothing.
If you guys would post some pictures of yours after a few years of carry that would be great.

thanks

the difference is

the 642 is aluminum alloy and stainless. the 442 is aluminum alloy
and carbon steel. i would guess the stainless would hold up better
for holster wear.

JimB

gm991, I've carried my 442 for a few years now, and the black/"bluing" has slight holster wear on the front of the barrel and very slight wear on the high points of the cylinder and frame. Considering how much use mine has, and the casual way I treat it, I think the finish has stood up very well, certainly better than a "blue" gun would. All I do is blow off the dust at night and add a drop of oil every month or so unless I shoot it in between. I shoot several J frames, and tend to practice more with a Stainless steel 640, and use my 442 for carry, but they shoot about the same... close enough for government work anyway.

From the 642 I've seen, they hold their "Stainless" color better, but they have a clear coat over the stainless that can wear or be stripped off with some cleaning chemicals.

Either one is a great gun, but I like the 442 because it is black, and there is less chance of flashing it in my pocket or someone seeing the frame in my pocket, as opposed to the silver of the 642.

gm991, I've carried my 442 for a few years now, and the black/"bluing" has slight holster wear on the front of the barrel and very slight wear on the high points of the cylinder and frame. Considering how much use mine has, and the casual way I treat it, I think the finish has stood up very well, certainly better than a "blue" gun would. All I do is blow off the dust at night and add a drop of oil every month or so unless I shoot it in between. I shoot several J frames, and tend to practice more with a Stainless steel 640, and use my 442 for carry, but they shoot about the same... close enough for government work anyway.

From the 642 I've seen, they hold their "Stainless" color better, but they have a clear coat over the stainless that can wear or be stripped off with some cleaning chemicals.

Either one is a great gun, but I like the 442 because it is black, and there is less chance of flashing it in my pocket or someone seeing the frame in my pocket, as opposed to the silver of the 642.

Thanks for all the info.
I'm leaning towards the
for two reasons you mentioned.
One is the clear coat coming off, and the black not flashing as much when I carry.

(I know just enough about clear coats and finish on metals to be dangerous....:)
Plus from what you have seen on yours makes me think its anodized and not blued.

I have 640-1
You saying the 442 feels about the same when firing +p's though it as the 640?

Still would like to see some pictures....:):):)
thanks again for the insight.

G

Last edited:
as mentioned only aluminum is anodized. the 442 is black anodized and the 642 is clear anodized. (anodizing by nature is a clear coating. However tint can be added.)

Sooooo
it really is just a color choice???....:):)
Ok so who has 442 and who has 642??
Why did you choice one or the other?
thanks

642. I liked how it looked, finish is perfect after a long time in my pocket.

But I now carry a SP101, which I would recommend over either the 642 or 442.

But I now carry a SP101, which I would recommend over either the 642 or 442.

I've got both. The SP101 has slightly better sights. It's extra weight makes it much easier for me to shoot. But the extra weight makes it too heavy for me to carry easily in my pocket, which defeats the purpose for me.

If the question is 642 or SP101, my answer is Kahr PM9 [troll]

I wrestled with the same decisions you are faced with. I opted for the 442 because of the black color being harder to see in my pocket. I also think the black is slick looking. As far as wear goes I have carried mine everyday in a pocket holster for the last 2 years and have had minimal finish wear.
I will get some pics up later if I can get off my ass.

I wrestled with the same decisions you are faced with. I opted for the 442 because of the black color being harder to see in my pocket. I also think the black is slick looking. As far as wear goes I have carried mine everyday in a pocket holster for the last 2 years and have had minimal finish wear.
I will get some pics up later if I can get off my ass.

Thanks would like to see...:)
Like I said I think I'm leaning towards the 442 because it would be harder to see in the pocket.

I have a S&W 640 that just doesn't work for pocket carry.

For all the reasons stated above I am waiting to bump into a used 442 over the 642. Mainly just like black more plus the better hide-ability. But, I can't wait much longer.....

Really why it's like 25oz compared to the 15oz of the airweight.

Want to sell the 642....;);)

I prefer the SP101 because:

- It fits my hand much better
- Far less recoil, so it's much more pleasant to shoot and practice with
(the 642 hurts my hand after a while, limiting my incentive to practice)
- I like being able to use .357 magnum OR .38 spc
- I don't notice the extra weight when pocket carrying. The 10oz is no big deal for me.

Back
Top Bottom