What is the definition of a dwelling house in RI?

More to the point, if my family owns property in RI, can I keep handguns on that property, if my primary residence is in another state? I routinely stay at the Rhode Island Property for weeks at a time.

I believe they are going to be looking at what is your legal address of record (which would be in the other state). If the firearms are kept at your family's property full time, then they will proabably fall under the definition of being "sold" to your family members and thereby need to be transferred via an FFL since you are out of state. Furthermore, you will run into problems bringing handguns into the state since you are an out of state resident unless you possess a RI Non-Resident license.

Play it safe,get an EBR

I don't think it's nearly that simple. The term "dwelling house" has a legal meaning, can include a vacation home in another state, or even an "extended stay" hotel room.

RI is nearly as confusing as Mass gun laws (nearly). Section 11-47-8 uses "dwelling house", then 11-47-9 switches to the word "residence", then 11-47-10 uses the term "home".

If the firearms are kept at your family's property full time, then they will probably fall under the definition of being "sold" to your family members and thereby need to be transferred via an FFL since you are out of state.
Having a firearm in another state is not a transfer except in very specific circumstances.
Best to play it safe and have a lockbox in Rhode Island to which you have a key, and other family members do not. Rhode Island also specifically allows landowners to possess/carry on their property "except in his or her dwelling house or place of business or on land possessed by him" (11-47-8)

That line in bold would appear to apply to the Smash05, assuming his name is on the deed.

A dwelling is a residence (house, condo, duplex, apartment etc.), but a business is not a dwelling.
If you own property in RI, you can keep it in your house. You say your 'family' owns property in RI, which is a little different. However, since guns are not registered in RI and this is private property (even if it's your extended family) there is not much LEO can do on your family's property. I would be more worried about transporting the firearms to the property if it's not yours since you are not just traveling through. If the property is in a town where the Chief follows the law (RIGL 11-47-11) you can apply for a CCW permit.

A dwelling is a residence (house, condo, duplex, apartment etc.), but a business is not a dwelling.
If you own property in RI, you can keep it in your house. You say your 'family' owns property in RI, which is a little different. However, since guns are not registered in RI and this is private property (even if it's your extended family) there is not much LEO can do on your family's property. I would be more worried about transporting the firearms to the property if it's not yours since you are not just traveling through. If the property is in a town where the Chief follows the law (RIGL 11-47-11) you can apply for a CCW permit.
How is the chief in Newport, RI

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom