• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What is the Certificate Number to Apply for CT Non Res?

Reptile

NES Member
CT office said that LTC-005 is no good.
What is the correct certificate to get?
Who offers it?

IIRC CT requires NRA Basic Pistol (LTC-002) "or equivalent". The only "equivalent" that I've been told that they accept is LTC-020, developed by Rob McDermott. He's RobMcd here on NES and teaches out in your neck of the woods, so give him a shout.

Best way is to call the CT SP Licensing division and ask them directly. The two above are all that I know that they accept. There may be others that I don't know about.

The last time I looked Connecticut required an eight hour course with live fire. Also some verbiage along the lines of it has to be a sanctioned course such as an NRA or a state certified somewhere etc. etc. I don’t think they specify any particular course is that it has to be. People typically do NRA basic pistol because that one hits the nail right on the head. But I will say that class is painful. Picture the mass basic safety class that’s four hours dragged out over eight with the same content in a different spin.

I got my CT license about 10-20 years ago, and they accepted the combination of my NRA instructor's certificate and MA instructors certificate.

The actual statute says the course must be "approved by the commissioner".

Their policy has been to require NRA Basic Pistol. And like I said in another thread there have been a couple of individuals who have gotten their course approved. Ed Peruta got his course approved, although it was just an intellectual exercise for him since he had no intention of teaching.
And like Len said, Rob McDermott got his course approved.

The bottom line is since the actual statute is so vague, they have room to wiggle if you make your case effectively.
I am really interested to find out if PPIH is accepted.

Best way is to call the CT SP Licensing division and ask them directly. The two above are all that I know that they accept. There may be others that I don't know about.

I went down to Middletown to apply today.

They did accept the Pistol Marksmanship and Shooting class I took in 1984.
They also said that the current processing time is about 4 months.

Bob

I have the ltc-020 certificate, but on the certificate it says expiration date 05/31/18. (I took the class in 2017.) So its no good, and i have to take it all over again? Or will they still accept it?

Expiration date of what? The Mass cert usually shows expiration of instructor's credentials. Other states will want the NRA cert, not the Mass cert.

I took the multi state course, this is the certificate i got. He had said something like if i didnt apply for all the other states before the certificate expires then he'd print me a new one. However, i havent been able to get ahold of him.

Attachments

• 20181122_123703.jpg
    20181122_123703.jpg
    110.8 KB · Views: 9
I took the multi state course, this is the certificate i got. He had said something like if i didnt apply for all the other states before the certificate expires then he'd print me a new one. However, i havent been able to get ahold of him.

Here are the requirements:

Frequently Asked Questions - Pistol Permits

Connecticut is pretty specific and requires live fire. Sim doesn’t count.

Bob

ETA:
Processing time for mine was 4 months.

Bob

ETA:
I'm friends with the owner of LTC-020 (it is a proprietary course that he licenses to very few instructors) and I've co-taught it with a friend a few times in remote law offices. The course is designed to be rather flexible, you can include live fire or not but the course doesn't require it (CT does!). When we taught it remotely, we brought rifles/shotguns for the students to work the actions but had no availability to include shooting. Personally I really like the course, but I doubt that CT would accept that certificate especially since there is no mention of live fire on the cert. BTW, I was right, the cert isn't expired, it was the instructor's cert that expired (it is not explained well on the cert or even in the instructions to instructors).

Bob

ETA:

I'm friends with the owner of LTC-020 (it is a proprietary course that he licenses to very few instructors) and I've co-taught it with a friend a few times in remote law offices. The course is designed to be rather flexible, you can include live fire or not but the course doesn't require it (CT does!). When we taught it remotely, we brought rifles/shotguns for the students to work the actions but had no availability to include shooting. Personally I really like the course, but I doubt that CT would accept that certificate especially since there is no mention of live fire on the cert. BTW, I was right, the cert isn't expired, it was the instructor's cert that expired (it is not explained well on the cert or even in the instructions to instructors).

Thanks

The bfpe has issued a declaratory ruling that certificates do not expire.
Also, live fire is required in CT. Its not actually in the statute, but the statute says "approved by the commissioner". and the commissioner will not approve a course without live fire.

The expiration date on that certificate is the expiration date of the instructor's LTC.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom