• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What is the big draw to Bi-Tone pistols?

I am considering picking up a new pistol. I have a choice to get it either straight black or Bi Tone. What is the big draw some people have with a bi tone pistol? Is it worth the extra money? Do they require additional maintenance?

I think they look funny. It shouldn't affect how the pistol wears unless one of the metals is significantly different in hardness, and that could happen with the same color too.

Guns are the opposite of cars black hides dirt on guns. Silver does not love my Beretta inox but I break out the dam buffer on the slide

I like the bi tone and always get that if there is a choice. YOu get much less holster wear that way. Glocks are pretty durable, but the black finish on the Springfield XD line comes off fairly easy and makes the gun look like crap

I probably wouldn't purchase a gun that was two tone/bi-tone right off the bat. But, I might change the color of parts [myself] to fit my liking at a later date. I've thought about changing the color of the frame on my 1911 wide-body to something else.

I have seen some color combinations really pop when together. As long as none of the colors are pink, it's really up to the person that owns the gun. BTW, burnt bronze frame with a standard color slide is really nice.

Bi tone (hard chrome frame and blued slide) was popular with IPSC shooters a long time ago. The idea was to have a plated frame to resist rust and wear (hard chrome is excellent for this) and a blued slide to match the blacked out iron sights. This fell out of favor when shooters realized that all you really need are blacked out sights and that a completely plated pistol would last longer.

same category as painting a glock or other. looks not function
I have a two tone P226 and a black P220. The stainless slide on the P226 looks brand new. The black P220 slide has some holster wear. Other than that I see no difference.

I don't care for them either but IMHO stainless/black are nice but I still prefer traditional black handguns and wooden stocks wood and not camo but that's me.

Two-tone? Bi-tone? No thanks. Not if I have a choice.

But that said, I still own three... two of which weren't available any other way and one rare "collectible."

Only thing worse than two-tone is reverse two-tone. Those are the ones I really don't get. [thinking]

When I was shopping for my P226 it seems like every LGS I called only had the two-tone. Needless to say I waited until someone had the all-black. I guess for certain guns it could be OK, but I just prefer all-black.

I like the bi tone and always get that if there is a choice. YOu get much less holster wear that way.

That depends. I've got a two-tone Wilson Combat. Stainless frame and black slide. The black finish on the slide has, of course, a lot of wear. Personally, I don't care about holster wear. A worn gun is a loved gun.

I've got black guns. I've got stainless guns. I've got two-tone guns. I don't really care one way or the other.

I do have a very nicely reblued S&W Model 19. Now THAT is a pretty gun.

I have a two tone 30 year old 45 auto Colt Combat Elite...oh yeah....it's bitchin' (oh...and it shoots pretty well too).

Looks just like this...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom