• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What is the best state in New England to live in?

When my kids are grown I'm going somewhere with palm trees. No chance in hell I'm going further north. Heat and humidity never bothered me. The days people around here bitch about the heat are my favorite couple days a year. But, if I had to pick a New England state I think it would be NH.

NH is great but beware of property taxes they are high AF, especially if you want any kind of decent home, garage and land. My property tax got raised a few months after i moved here.

House across the way from me, a beautiful private modern colonial with an attached 3 car garage and 6 acres. Been empty for 3 years/foreclosed and has gone to auction multiple times with no buyers. Taxes on the house 12k+ a year.

That's what I found when looking. NH would have been a lot closer to where I live now but property owners are being bled dry. If you plan accordingly and buy in Maine close to NH you can have lower property taxes and enjoy tax free shopping!

NH is great but beware of property taxes they are high AF, especially if you want any kind of decent home, garage and land. My property tax got raised a few months after i moved here.

House across the way from me, a beautiful private modern colonial with an attached 3 car garage and 6 acres. Been empty for 3 years/foreclosed and has gone to auction multiple times with no buyers. Taxes on the house 12k+ a year.

I would not recommend a NH to MA commute. It is pure misery. Find a job in state is a must.

An uninformed question probably, but can't property owners who have large chunks of land get a current use abatement?

ETA: looked more and see that you have to have > 10 acres

10 minutes north of me is NH so it won't add too much to my commute so I can keep my job and my daughter can still go to her private school since it's on the way to the wife's work. We're contemplating on making the move just trying to decide to do it before or after my daughter goes to high school. So to answer your question, it would be NH for me.

That's what I found when looking. NH would have been a lot closer to where I live now but property owners are being bled dry. If you plan accordingly and buy in Maine close to NH you can have lower property taxes and enjoy tax free shopping!

And pay a state income tax. That is what people miss. If you live and work in NH, your overall tax burden is lower then paying less in property taxes and income tax. I almost tripled my property taxes moving to NH, but the lack of income tax on my wife and I, and the fact that we now share our only tax burden, we are way ahead of where we were in MA.

An uninformed question probably, but can't property owners who have large chunks of land get a current use abatement?

It's called In-Current-Use.

For staying here, NH, hands down. Given my situation, as much as I'd like to move, I'll be staying in MA for the foreseeable future. Our plan is to now get a small property in NH for vacation use, etc..

Ideally, I'd love to leave the entire northeast. I did a good amount of research in 2015 after Snowmageddon, and I was very close to tossing it all in and moving to TN. Probably up on the Cumberland Plateau.

What's the tax situation if I were to move to NH yet commute to MA for work? Wife's company having a RIF. If her job goes, thinking about getting out of MA.

It was NH for us, best decision we've made in a long time, happy I can raise my kids here.
What town/county in NH?

We are seriously entertaining the idea of moving in or near Strafford. Few things need to line up for it to happen but research and knowledge never hurt.

We voted for Maine. We moved here from Colorado as it turned into California. Everything costs less here except milk. Real estate is amazingly cheap. (mid coast). Downsides- everything rusts, rots, or grows mold, and the insects try to give you fatal diseases or just make you miserable. Jobs can be problematic..Upsides, shooting-wise...pretty much everyone around here shoots and carries, even the old ladies in my wife’s fiber group. Constitution carry, open carry. My Maine CCW took two weeks when we moved here.

We voted for Maine. We moved here from Colorado as it turned into California. Everything costs less here except milk. Real estate is amazingly cheap. (mid coast). Downsides- everything rusts, rots, or grows mold, and the insects try to give you fatal diseases or just make you miserable. Jobs can be problematic..Upsides, shooting-wise...pretty much everyone around here shoots and carries, even the old ladies in my wife’s fiber group. Constitution carry, open carry. My Maine CCW took two weeks when we moved here.
Please don’t tell me the only upside living in ME is guns

Nope, but this is primarily a gun forum. Lots of upsides- nice people generally. Peace and quiet. Great outdoors sports opportunities, did I mention peace and quiet? Bottom line- Maine is still Free America.

Last edited:
unfortunately you still have to pay Mass state tax
Until you retire. Federal tax code states that the state you reside in, establishes your tax liability. Have drawn almost a quarter of a mil from a Mass pension..state tax free. Gawd unions suck!;)

What's the tax situation if I were to move to NH yet commute to MA for work? Wife's company having a RIF. If her job goes, thinking about getting out of MA.

You will still pay mass income tax. However you only pay mass income tax for the days you physically worked in Mass. Even negotiating one day a week where you work from home in NH will have a significant impact on lowering your mass taxes.

As long as you like brutal humidity and don't want to buy beer in certain counties in Sunday.

I just moved from Medford where I grew up to Charleston, SC and I will never go back. The humidity is brutal for a couple months but wearing shorts for most of the "winter" its worth it. Its also pretty cool to see AR15 ads on the billboards on the highway. Different world down here!

What town/county in NH?

We are seriously entertaining the idea of moving in or near Strafford. Few things need to line up for it to happen but research and knowledge never hurt.

Brentwood (Rockingham). I will say the property taxes do suck - but both of us still work in MA so being near 95 was important. SAU16 is a solid school system, Brentwood has a nice small town feel, privacy without being super far from where we need to get to.

You will still pay mass income tax. However you only pay mass income tax for the days you physically worked in Mass. Even negotiating one day a week where you work from home in NH will have a significant impact on lowering your mass taxes.

This. I work 2-3 days a week from home now which definitely helps.

That's good to know. Both of us can work remote at least part time. Are there any S NH border towns say 10-15 miles either side of Nashua that are still good?

Nice site of NH tax rates

New Hampshire 2017 Property Tax Rates | NH Town Property Taxes

eWgKBlJ.png

Yes you are correct, 75% of my land is taxed at a much lower rate because of its current use (wooded portion). But its the house value that they get you on. They raised my house value by 30k just like that, land value stayed the same. Just because it was time to reassess the towns value. From my understanding they just do a drive by.

I appealed the decision and got no where really, i got some bogus info that was incorrect, corrected. The info they used was the info from the MLS listing, this info is always fluffed up to make the property sound better then it is.

But since i paid more for the house then what its was previously assessed at on the towns tax record. The assessor takes that as this this property sold for more so we need to meet half way since it has more value now.

And i stated someone could pay 1 million dollars for something just to have it, doesnt mean its worth it! That didnt sit right with him.

So if you move to NH house and you keep your property looking sharp(or not) then your going to get hit hard when it comes that time. The money grab propagates. First its the inflated real estate markup then leads to the property tax markup. All for something that with all honesty is a money pit. Not an investment. Doesnt make any sense to me.

The only ones telling you your home is an investment are the ones that are not mathematically savy or milking/making a living from the process. I now understand why some people let their property go to shit but still live in it.

A property down the street got raised 100k, at that same time. And no there were no changes to the layout or additions made. Same house same land.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom