• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What is the actual legal process when an FFL does a transfer for me?

Was this an evil rifle? You know the black ones? The ones with dare I say? Buffer tubes??? Otherwise I'm not sure why you would care

I always wondered, what happens if that gun is then used in a crime.

Has anyone ever been harassed over this?

FFL has the date they took it in. That's all you need as long as the crime was after that date. ATF called my FFL about a gun I bought that I sold years before. I never heard from them, but that gun turned up somewhere for something otherwise why was the ATF looking into it.

Probably the wrong forum but how do I send a shot gun I am selling to an out of state FFL. The buyer said his ffl will take it from a private seller. Am I better off using a ffl here in mass to cover my ass?

Probably the wrong forum but how do I send a shot gun I am selling to an out of state FFL. The buyer said his ffl will take it from a private seller. Am I better off using a ffl here in mass to cover my ass?
that contradicts what i know - as i asked that question specifically to my FFL - his response was - any out of state personal transfers need to proceed via FFLs only - means out of state person gives a gun to his FFL in his state, then that FFL ships the gun to your FFL in your state. then you get it.

that contradicts what i know - as i asked that question specifically to my FFL - his response was - any out of state personal transfers need to proceed via FFLs only - means out of state person gives a gun to his FFL in his state, then that FFL ships the gun to your FFL in your state. then you get it.
Ya the guy that wants it said put it in a box with a copy of my license and send it by mailman to his ffl. That sounded real fishy to me . I will definitely use a ffl here and go that route. Just wanted make sure I wasn’t the only on that didn’t think that was right. Thanks for the help.👍

What you know is wrong, some dealers only take inbounds from other FFLs but in most cases/states for an inbound this is not legally required. Dealers that force dealer > dealer on inbounds are doing this out of policy, not law. A private person can legally send a gun to an FFL in another state if they include a copy of their identification.

It's not hard to ship it yourself if you read up on how to do it but if you don't want to deal with the hassle then sure, pay an FFL to ship it.

see How to Sell A Gun Online

Is it legal to sell my gun?

It's legal to sell your gun online, regardless of the state that you live in. But the proper way to transfer ownership of your gun varies from state to state. Generally speaking, you can ship most guns to an FFL holder in another state. Your buyer will have to physically go in, do some paperwork and a background check, and then they can pick up the gun. In about half the states, there aren't any requirements to use an FFL for private party transfers. But if you're going to be selling your gun online, you're likely going to have a buyer you don't personally know, that doesn't live nearby. As you're shipping a gun, I highly recommend that you ship to an FFL at all times, to avoid any sticky situations.
How do you know that you're shipping to an FFL? The buyer should send you a signed copy of the FFL before you ship a gun. Make it a requirement that's spelled out in your listing. The buyer should have an FFL holder (usually someone at a gun shop) lined up to receive shipment of the item. If they don't, the buyer can find an FFL in our FFL Network. These are folks that have an FFL, that are willing to receive shipment of a gun bought online. Simple. As the seller, you can verify the FFL is valid by visiting the FFL EZ Check system online. Just plug the FFL number in and the system will let you know. It goes without saying that you shouldn't ship a gun to someone who doesn't have a valid FFL. Sorry, that's the law. If you have any questions about shipping a gun in your state, visit your local gun shop. They'll have all the answers.

How to Ship a Gun

Shipping a gun is easy. First off, you'll need to use a private carrier like UPS or FedEx. Unless you personally have an FFL, you can't ship a gun via the US Postal Service. That's been against the law since 1968. But shipping via UPS or FedEx isn't an issue. Make sure you properly pack the item up using a good box and lots of stuffing and such. Also make sure that there isn't anything on the outside of the box that shows it's a gun. I'm a big fan of brown wrapping paper - there's no sense in tempting the help. Also, make sure you've insured the gun for it's value, in the event something gets broken in shipment. Lastly, make sure you have a tracking number. After you've sent the gun off, you can send the tracking number to the buyer so there's no question that the gun is on the way. Good communication with your buyer during the entire process is the key to getting good feedback after the sale is concluded.

Back
Top Bottom