• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What is S&W thinking?

Not one of my S&Ws has that.. what I don't get is why it's revolvers only.. oh and Ruger has something similar for their revolvers..

Heres an idea for the thugingtons of america dont leave your loaded guns in the couch or under the pillow so your muppet kids can grab them.
Not one of my ruger revolvers has any type of lock like a Hilary hole. I've also never seen one on any ruger revolver I've handled. Where did you get this info about locks on ruger revolvers?

The shield was cutting edge at the time.
It was not. It offered nothing new. It was SW flooding the market, but it didn't offered anything the PPS didn't offer already. Walther was just stupid allowing SW to produce the PPS.

The apx isn't that bad in person... not a handsome pistol but not that bad

Yeah, I was probably exaggerating a bit. Just that you'd think Italians, the people who make Ferrari's and Ducati's, would have a better eye for aesthetic design. But then they release both this original APX and the swordfish looking ARX. From everything I've heard, they are both solid performers. Just kind of busted looking.

They made amends though. The new APX is pretty nice looking:

apx-a1-right.png

It was not. It offered nothing new. It was SW flooding the market, but it didn't offered anything the PPS didn't offer already. Walther was just stupid allowing SW to produce the PPS.
There were only two other guns on the market at that time. The pps and Khar. Smith and Wesson like it or not came out with a 7+1 or 8+1 single stack and (your right) flooded the market with these. You can put out a better mousetrap (pps) but if its not available in the number/price then it doesn't matter.

There were only two other guns on the market at that time. The pps and Khar. Smith and Wesson like it or not came out with a 7+1 or 8+1 single stack and (your right) flooded the market with these. You can put out a better mousetrap (pps) but if its not available in the number/price then it doesn't matter.
But there was nothing cutting edge about it. Maybe the polymer.

I remember NES went GAY4SHIELD. Everyone was buying them and starting a thread talking about how it had "Neva ben dun befo".

At least they’re not reusing a name from heir past. I hate S&W, but admit that I have a soft spot for their old stuff. Seeing a WTS ad for an M&P or Bodyguard still thrills me, until I see it’s for the new garbage, not their golden stuff.

And F@$K Colt for reproducing their snake guns and not adding something in the name to tell the difference. That shit isn’t a Python.
At least the Peacemaker had three gens to tell when it was made. Even Glock has Gen models, and they all look the same to me, but at least I know they’re different somehow.

At least they’re not reusing a name from heir past. I hate S&W, but admit that I have a soft spot for their old stuff. Seeing a WTS ad for an M&P or Bodyguard still thrills me, until I see it’s for the new garbage, not their golden stuff.
The worst (for me) is when I see a Smith & Wesson "Victory" advertised for a decent price and in supposedly top condition... and then I realize it's a crappy cheap .22 plinker instead of a classic WWII collectible revolver. :mad:

So I got to check one out at work today and it's disappointing. Not sure who the target market is? Women, elderly due to the internal hammer & "EZ" slide? The capacity is boosted but the grip is horribly uncomfortable. No interchangeable panels, it's sort of long and narrow and unforgiving. Overall size is sort of big; it's almost the same size as a 2.0 compact so not all that concealable IMO. Going to take up a lot of real estate in a purse for sure. Slide cut for an optic, great, but low sights so cowitness is probably going out the window unless you replace them with something taller. Sights are also just plain white contrast - everyone else has entry level night sights but seems like S&W didn't get that memo yet. Grip safety which freaks some people out and a plain curved trigger.

Not one of my ruger revolvers has any type of lock like a Hilary hole. I've also never seen one on any ruger revolver I've handled. Where did you get this info about locks on ruger revolvers?
Just because you haven’t seen them doesn’t mean they aren’t there. Do an image search for Ruger internal locks. They are out there depending on the model.

Just because you haven’t seen them doesn’t mean they aren’t there. Do an image search for Ruger internal locks. They are out there depending on the model.
Read my post again carefully. I never said they didn't exist. I own 5 ruger revolvers 4 of them are made in the past 10 years and they do not have locks. My post was more to say internal locks on rugers is definitely not as prevalent as what's on s and Wesson which is the vast majority of their revolvers.

I'll never buy another grip safety gun. Just hate them. I got the new XDM Elite, shot it once, it's probably never coming out ever again. Also don't do slide safeties, why complicate a tool of last resort? If I'm one handed, limp wristing and pulling the trigger. I really must be in a situation where I actually need that thing to fire a bullet. These guns designed for someone holding them with a perfect grip engaging 2 or 3 safeties are borderline dangerous.

This gun has an identity crisis. Super aggressive slide serrations, yet also "EZ Technology" because, you know, it's hard to rack a slide. Wouldn't that hurt your delicate EZ hands?
I disagree. If you have weak hands, more aggressive slide serrations will help you get better purchase on the slide. I know people like to rag on others for being "weak", but a lot of women and elderly men simply don't have a lot of hand strength. It's great to be big, young, and strong, but many people simply will never be or will never be again, and it is good that someone is making guns for them.

I'm not saying I like the rest of this gun, though.

Last edited:
My MA Ruger LCR did. Unclear if it's like this in other states. I'm unsure of the other rugers. I found some old .38 rounds In my grandfathers things when he passed. They are 158 grain lead semi wad cutters probably from the 80s.... Well.. I now have learned they were handloads..poorly loaded.. probably outside of the ratings of the ruger LCR... My main spring misaligned and locked up... I have two of these revolvers... It was not fun at the range getting that cylinder open. Below 👇 is a picture of the lock which is under the grips of the LCR. This is a Massachusetts gun. Unclear if it's a non option. It has a little handcuff style key to lock it.

I now never shoot old non boxed ammo I find now lesson learned.

Attachments

• IMG_8734~2.jpg
    IMG_8734~2.jpg
    552.1 KB · Views: 13
I disagree. If you have weak hands, more aggressive slide serrations will help you get better purchase on the slide. I know people like to rag on others for being "weak", but a lot of women and elderly men simply don't have a lot of hand strength. It's great to be big, young, and strong, but many people simply will never be or will never be again, and it is good that someone is making guns for them.

I'm not saying I like the rest of this gun, though.

You have a point, but I feel this type of person would be better served with just a single set of hard shoulders at the end of the slide. Deep metal cutouts aren't going to be friendly to that person who has trouble racking a slide.

IDK, it looks like a pretty decent offering to many who may have physical impairments or other issues that affect hand strength. The serrations on the slide also make sense to me as a larger purchase on the slide would help to rack it easier. Oh wait a minute, it’s got pointy elbows… now I get it!!! Some of you guys could hit the lottery for a bazillion dollars and still bitch about having to pay the taxes on it.

My parents have arthritic hands and they both really like my mom's Shield EZ. This is right up my Dad's ally: higher capacity than the Sheild EZ, but something that he doesn't have to struggle to manipulate the slide.

Back
Top Bottom