What is my problem?

I assume you sighted in your gun from a bench rest. Your hands are not a bench rest and the point of impact will be different. Adjust your sights accordingly for your normal shooting position (i.e. not from the bench).

I use the pad before the first knuckle. I have no idea if I am squeezing too hard or pushing the trigger.

this can be a BIG factor depending on how big your hands are.

i have rather large hands / long fingers. if i try to use the pad of my index finger, i'll push EVERY time, and shoot left.

using the joint right at the first knuckle lets me squeeze the trigger significantly easier, and as a result, i stay DEAD on. if i get a chance, i'll set up a target when i go to the range tonight and use both methods to see if i can show a good comparison.

I assume you sighted in your gun from a bench rest. Your hands are not a bench rest and the point of impact will be different. Adjust your sights accordingly for your normal shooting position (i.e. not from the bench).

that is one way to fix his shooting for a specific gun / specific distance, but it's not going to correct the problem.

the whole idea with sighting a gun off the bench is to get a mechanical zero. if he was shooting a one-ragged-hole group, i'd be inclined to agree with you, but he isnt. there's too big a margin for error sighting in off-hand.

besides, what if, god help him, he had to defend his life with a gun, that had, lets say, non-adjustable fixed sights? (such as a j-frame).

One thing I would recommend to stop flinching to is to get some snap caps and load them at random into your mag and go from there.. I use to do it when I was shooting high power competition, it helped a lot.

Guys, Big Red is a great shooter. He has nice gun control and handling, He shoots small groups fast. It took several drills to finally trick it out of him. Now, just to get him to shoot IDPA!

Thanks to Mike-Mike and a series of drills I now know what my problem is. I flinch. Yeah, who would have thought. [rolleyes] The way Mike figured it out was by giving me a Glock (I have never shot one) and loading it with ammo and snap caps. Since I had no idea when the gun was goig to go off, the very first shot landed dead center on the target. The second shot landed to the left because by then I had anticipated the gun going off. The third shot, which was a snap cap, didn't land anywhere but showed just how much of a flinch I have. Damn!

I remember shooting low left when I first started out two years ago. Obviously over time I subconsciously started to compensate for the flinch and now shoot high left.

This is 99% mental so I know what I need to do to get it corrected...I hope. [wink]

Thanks Mike. I owe you one.

+1 for Mike. I spent an hour with him and can't recommend him highly enough (yes Mike, I'm plugging you again [grin]). He did the same drill with me and man was it ever ugly. I was shooting his Shorty 40 (M&P .40c) and the first one was just like you, dead center (okay maybe not DEAD center but close enough for a newbie [smile]) and the next one was a snap cap and man I would have missed the paper it was so bad [laugh]. I actually looked at him and said "Damn! Did you see that?! WTF was that?". Glad to see it helped work it out.

Last edited:
AIM POINT

my chart shows a different problem."riding the recoil.his original problem shows he was "jerking" .
new shooters should get that chart.I think GOAL may have copies.

Back
Top Bottom