• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What is my problem?

When I first started shooting two years ago my shots all went low and to the left. Now (as you can see from the photo) my shots go high and to the left. I've tried to correct my aim and my stance with very little success. I pay close attention to flinching, I've done exercises where I squeeze the trigger and release, squeeze a bit more and release and do that until the gun goes BANG! Supposedly this helps prevent shot anticipation. That doesn't work either.

I've never had any 'professional' training so I have no idea what I am doing wrong. Any ideas?

BTW, in the photo the left target was shot with PPK/S and right with a subcompact 1911. Distance was 10 yards.

IMG00005-20090725-1138.jpg

What's your grip like? Where's your finger on the trigger? Are you squeezing too hard with your right hand? Pushing the trigger?

http://www.tackdriver.com/pix0703/correction.jpg

This is a place to start. May have everything to do with your grip as well. Make sure you sqeese the trigger straight back to your nose.. your groups are good. Meet me at the WPRClub next tues?

ETA: I think you might have a follow through problem. We will work on some drills that will clean you up quick.

What kind of grip do you use, high thumbs? crossed thumbs? what stance are you using? Weaver ISO Modified? Are you cross eye'd dominate? Do you shoot any gun to point of aim?

What type of underwear were you wearing? Thong? Tighty Whities? Boxer briefs?

How about socks? low cut or knee highs? Black or white? Wool?

C'mon... how do you expect us to help you when you don't provide the important info?

[laugh]

Seriously... the links above should show you what you're doing wrong based on where you're grouping. [grin]

Well at least your consistent and have your shoots close to where you want them.

Turn the target around and just shoot at the center of the blank side. Shooting at a blank target will let you focus on your sights with out the pressure of trying to make a perfect shot every time on a bulls eye.

After you do this a few times turn the target around and see how you did.

How about socks? low cut or knee highs? Black or white? Wool?

C'mon... how do you expect us to help you when you don't provide the important info?

[laugh]

Seriously... the links above should show you what you're doing wrong based on where you're grouping. [grin]

While I assume this is you trying to post a humorous reply to my post, all of my point directly effect POA / POI differences. Looking at a pie chart may tell you what you are doing wrong, but it will not tell you why its wrong and how to fix the issue

This last time I went to the range someone took pics - it showed me alot about posture, stance, how I held the gun, how relaxed I was, etc...try that sometime Martin.

While I assume this is you trying to post a humorous reply to my post, all of my point directly effect POA / POI differences. Looking at a pie chart may tell you what you are doing wrong, but it will not tell you why its wrong and how to fix the issue

I was just having some fun [smile] I had no intentions of belittling your questions nor Lynne's. [grin]

I was just having some fun [smile] I had no intentions of belittling your questions nor Lynne's. [grin]

No offense was taken by me hun.

I actually chuckled - although I'll admit I was expecting the usual suspects to ask those questions and not you. [laugh]

Lighten up folks.

I actually chuckled - although I'll admit I was expecting the usual suspects to ask those questions and not you. [laugh]

Like his brother? [laugh]

I'll second the recommendation for some instruction. I haven't gotten instruction from Mike-Mike, but I've shot with him, and he's a good shot and a nice guy. Just make sure he doesn't wear his speedo. [puke]

I also recommend Jim Conway. He's often happy to give you a few quick tips if you meet him for 'choir practice' at Westford on Sundays. That helped me enough that I was glad to take one of his two day paid classes, which was a HUGE help.

What's your grip like? Where's your finger on the trigger? Are you squeezing too hard with your right hand? Pushing the trigger?

I use the pad before the first knuckle. I have no idea if I am squeezing too hard or pushing the trigger.

What kind of grip do you use, high thumbs? crossed thumbs? what stance are you using? Weaver ISO Modified? Are you cross eye'd dominate? Do you shoot any gun to point of aim?

Right thumb on the top of left thumb, both pointing forward. I started out with a modified Weaver but now I stand square to the target. I am not cross eye dominant and I do not know what point of aim means.

Commando.

This last time I went to the range someone took pics - it showed me alot about posture, stance, how I held the gun, how relaxed I was, etc...try that sometime Martin.

I've done that. I've also video taped myself but couldn't find anything wrong. Not surprising since I had no idea what to look for.

My opinion:
I'd just go out to the range and put more rounds down the pipe. Eventually you'll get rid of your issues naturally.

Keep throwin lead down range.

Or, try shooting steel plate. Something a little more reactive than paper targets.

You’re shooting a little high and to the left, as I see it.

The correct remedy is to adjust your targets a little higher and to the left that way the bullets should plunk right in there for you. You also won’t have to fart around with the sights or your shooting position, etc. [shocked]

Listen to all the shouting out there . . . I’m only kidding of course, what I said wouldn’t do a thing to help but just might provide a modicum of exercise tramping back and forth to the targets. [laugh]

Thanks to Mike-Mike and a series of drills I now know what my problem is. I flinch. Yeah, who would have thought. [rolleyes] The way Mike figured it out was by giving me a Glock (I have never shot one) and loading it with ammo and snap caps. Since I had no idea when the gun was goig to go off, the very first shot landed dead center on the target. The second shot landed to the left because by then I had anticipated the gun going off. The third shot, which was a snap cap, didn't land anywhere but showed just how much of a flinch I have. Damn!

I remember shooting low left when I first started out two years ago. Obviously over time I subconsciously started to compensate for the flinch and now shoot high left.

This is 99% mental so I know what I need to do to get it corrected...I hope. [wink]

Thanks Mike. I owe you one.

Last edited:
Thanks to Mike-Mike and a series of drills I now know what my problem is. I flinch. Yeah, who would have thought. [rolleyes] The way Mike figured it out was by giving me a Glock (I have never shot one) and loading it with ammo and snap caps. Since I had no idea when the gun was goig to go off, the very first shot landed dead center on the target. The second shot landed to the left because by then I had anticipated the gun going off. The third shot, which was a snap cap, didn't land anywhere but showed just how much of a flinch I have. Damn!

I remember shooting low left when I first started out two years ago. Obviously over time I subconsciously started to compensate for the flinch and now shoot high left.

This is 99% mental so I know what I need to do to get this corrected...I hope. [wink]

Thanks Mike. I owe you one.

I have read that every shot should be a "surprise" - which means exactly like the first one...I have discovered this is true myself.

Back
Top Bottom