What is it with all these "Veterans Foundations"????

Rockrivr1

NES Member
Rating - 100%
54   0   0
And how about all the "Cancer" stuff ? you can't turn your head without seeing some "pick your nose to cure cancer, right away". It's crazy.
There are as many charities out there as there are illnesses in the world. It all comes to what illness or issue you relate to the most. Even in your example of cancer, a number of charities are geared towards a certain type of cancer, which number in the hundreds of different kinds. Research dollars in this world are hard to come by, so successful charity is needed to help drive towards a cure. A cure for one cancer may not work on another form of cancer. Hence the differences. Breast, Colon, Pancreatic, Bowel, Skin, Lung, Brain, etc' etc' etc'.

For any charity, even charities who strive to be the best, spending money on non-charity activities is a necessary evil. Without advertising nobody knows who they are and they raise no money for the beneficiary of their charity. You spend too much on advertising and you get labelled as a wasteful charity. It's a very thin line a charity needs to traverse.

It'll be no big surprise to anyone that my charity of choice is the Pan Mass Challenge to raise money for Dana-Farber Cancer Institute. The PMC took a different stance on salaries and advertising. They sought and receive corporate sponsorship to pay those items. That way they can have 100% of donations go to Dana-Farber. Unfortunately that model only works for bigger charities, so smaller ones need to spend some donation money. It all comes down to what each person who donates is comfortable with.

This is why I used to hate being "forced" at work to help out the United Way. They were one of the worst run charities and spent over 50% on salaries and overhead. Once that came out, we were no longer forced to give.

rep308

NES Member
Rating - 100%
53   0   0
This is why I used to hate being "forced" at work to help out the United Way. They were one of the worst run charities and spent over 50% on salaries and overhead. Once that came out, we were no longer forced to give.
Standard procedure where I use to work and where the boss 'really wanted' 100% participation was to either give a one time gift, and when that trick no longer counted toward the sacred 100% participation, give him what he wanted 5% or so and the next month go to HR and change the contribution to zero.

I wouldn't piss on the united way if they were on fire

Paul455

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ask for their IRS 990 submission.

It will show where the donated money goes.

A number of these charities have the majority of money going toward perks and salaries.

Top Bottom