What is it with all these "Veterans Foundations"????

Skysoldier

Forum Curmudgeon
NES Member
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
First we had the "Wounded Warrior Fund." And if you have kept up on things, it is a just a scam.....

And tonight I just saw an ad on TV just now for the "Special Operations Warrior Fund."

It used to be ads for starving children in Africa.

Then the cute female singer asked for money for homeless dogs.

And now they are asking for money to supposedly help our Veterans.

We have gone so far down hill, we are exploiting our Veterans now?

WTF?

Rating - 100%
23   0   0
First we had the "Wounded Warrior Fund." And if you have kept up on things, it is a just a scam.....

And tonight I just saw an ad on TV just now for the "Special Operations Warrior Fund."

WTF?
They will exploit anyone who will put money into their pockets. WWp is one of the most corrupt of all the charities.
I try to donate to the local charities whenever possible. Any charity who can purchase as much TV time as WWP is obviously not afraid to waste donated money.

dustoff22

NES Member
Rating - 100%
87   0   0
DAV gets a D rating from Charity Watch, as do Adoptaplatoon, Blinded Veterans Association, Vietnam Veterans Memorial Fund and a lot more. Many receive an F.

Opportunistic thieves preying on the sympathy of people who think that the majority of their gifts are going to benefit veterans. Such is very often not the case.

Locally, the Salvation Army is the safest bet.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup, veterans are popular right now, supporting the troops is hipster-chic. It's the basic law of supply and demand. Give it a few more years, and it will be cool to hate the troops again, and then you'll see the money going to groups backed by Michael Moore clones.

Frankly, these massive frauds can only exist because people are more concerned with feeling good than doing good. As I become a more educated philanderer - er, philanthropist, I have had to stop supporting some of my favorite groups. They do good work for worthy causes, but they just spend too much money on fund-raising and not enough on programs.

It's pretty sad when organizations bring in big name non-profit CEO's for the express purpose of growing the fund-raising base, and then program spend drops from 90% to 67%. But that is exactly what I keep seeing happen.

Last edited:

Obie1

NES Member
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I am not a vet, but if you send me money, I promise I will send 18% to In God We Trust and use the rest for my administrative expenses. PM for info.

MisterHappy

NES Member
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
On the 16 yard line, shootin' for the Lewis!
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
First we had the "Wounded Warrior Fund." And if you have kept up on things, it is a just a scam..... And tonight I just saw an ad on TV just now for the "Special Operations Warrior Fund." It used to be ads for starving children in Africa. Then the cute female singer asked for money for homeless dogs. And now they are asking for money to supposedly help our Veterans. We have gone so far down hill, we are exploiting our Veterans now? WTF?
If I can get a cute female singer to ask for money to donate to the Kim The Skysoldier Beer Fund will you support that charity? [rofl]

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
DAV gets a D rating from Charity Watch, as do Adoptaplatoon, Blinded Veterans Association, Vietnam Veterans Memorial Fund and a lot more. Many receive an F.

Opportunistic thieves preying on the sympathy of people who think that the majority of their gifts are going to benefit veterans. Such is very often not the case.

Locally, the Salvation Army is the safest bet.
If you guys want a veteran charity to support, let me suggest www.onbehalf.org. Run by my Iraq platoon leader, no one draws a salary.

It puts needy vets in contact with business owners who can offer services for reduced rates or no cost. Worth checking out.

CTpatriot

Banned
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
the question to ask is why do we need charities to help vets, isnt it the duty of the .gov that sent them to win wars to take care of their own. maybe vets should get the welfare money and then the welfare rats should depend on charities like "Worthless Parasite Foundation"

PappyM3

NES Member
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
It's not a charity per se, but one good Veteran related non-profit is Team Rubicon. It's a Veteran-based disaster response organization and leverages vets' drive, desire to serve, and ability to get things done in austere environments. One of the great things about the organization is that it's not about helping Veterans with hand-outs, and more about helping Veterans by returning a sense of camaraderie and purpose.

For actual charities, Fisher House, like has been mentioned, is one of the few good ones.

blindfire

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

WTF?
Well shit, I donated to Wounded Warrior a couple years ago.

How are they scamming people???

According to Charity Navigator, they are pretty good. 86 / 100 overall score.
http://www.charitynavigator.org/index.cfm?bay=search.summary&orgid=12842#.VVQQ1_lVhHw

Last edited:
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep it local if you really want to help. I can guarantee that if you volunteer your time at the local VA hospitals 100% of your "donation" will directly affect a Veteran. And participating/donating to LOCAL organizations who offer services to Veterans will probably produce more bang for your buck. You'll also have a larger impact on those Veterans in your own community, rather than a miniscule impact to all veterans everywhere. While the power of a larger organization collecting a bigger pool of money might seem to have a greater impact, keeping it local ensures that your neighbors, the store clerk down the street, the guy you see at the mall who can't keep his job due to PTSD, etc. are helped where they need it.

CoastieRon

NES Member
Rating - 100%
40   0   0
Keep it local if you really want to help. I can guarantee that if you volunteer your time at the local VA hospitals 100% of your "donation" will directly affect a Veteran. And participating/donating to LOCAL organizations who offer services to Veterans will probably produce more bang for your buck. You'll also have a larger impact on those Veterans in your own community, rather than a miniscule impact to all veterans everywhere. While the power of a larger organization collecting a bigger pool of money might seem to have a greater impact, keeping it local ensures that your neighbors, the store clerk down the street, the guy you see at the mall who can't keep his job due to PTSD, etc. are helped where they need it.
This is great advice.

I tell people if they really wanted to help, volunteer, and put pressure on their legislators to fix the VA. Burn it down in start over. Fire everyone and start over. Privatize it and get rid of the dead weight in that ridiculous monstrosity of a wasteful bureaucratic nightmare.

rep308

NES Member
Rating - 100%
53   0   0
I helped set up call centers for a brief period of my career. Every hour the drones were given a new script and started dialing for dollars. The center got to keep 70%-90% of the funds because they did the work. Organizations would pimp out their name for free cash. Call center owners made a lot of money, the workers had one of the worst jobs I've seen, the public got ripped off and the charitable orgs got a few free pennies. I don't know if the same hold true for the mass mailings.

I don't know how they survive in the era of Caller ID, but as HL Mencken said "No one ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people."

I send a check to organizations I support after research and yes Mr Happy, the Salvation Army get most of my funds.

Last edited:
Top Bottom