• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What is FID compliant?

Ok, so I am new here. I am getting my FID in the mail any day now. I have money saved up for my first purchase, now I’m not looking for plain looking bunting rifles or shotguns. Or a tiny .22 cal. I am looking for decent Calibers like 5.56 or bigger. Anyways, could I buy a pre 94 with an FID? or a Pre 7/16 with an FID? If not how could I own something like an AR or AK? If there is a possibility. If for some reason it is not possible at all, I have a mosin in my dads name it’s gonna be transferred to me. And then I’ll buy a nice 30-30 lever action. But if it is possible for me to own some sort of AR or AK then I will buy that instead.

OP: If you took a course for the FID, get your money back, as this should have been covered.

If you got your FID on a Hunter Ed course, take a course that covers the laws.

FID will allow you to possess a non-large capacity long gun, so no to the AR or AK.

Read some of the threads in the Mass Laws section.

Welcome

FID compliant means non-large capacity shotgun or rifle. Outside the 10/22 which seems to be treated as low capacity, if it is a detachable magazine it is not going to be considered non-large capacity. Caliber is irrelevant.

No AK or AR. The one possible exception to this is you can get one of the 10rd FIXED magazine ARs that people build to deal with the Healey crap. Fixed mag 10rd is by definition not large capacity.

There is also VZ58 models that have a fixed 10 found magazine, which will be the closest thing you can buy to an AK that I know of, but from what I've seen are about the same price as an assembled fixed mag AR.

You can only own a semi-auto that has the ABILITY to accept mags that hold over 10 rounds if you have an LTC or restricted LTC. You also can only buy pre-94 non-AWB compliant/ "banned" guns and pre-94 standard high capacity magazines if you have an LTC or restricted.

Last edited:
5.56 is a .22 with benefits.

Suggestions of getting your money back are on the money. You may have been sent astray if you are over 21.

Go watch some YouTube videos about stopping power and Calibre and bullet drop. Mythbusters and JerryM s are great

And maybe. Just maybe. Go M1.

I'm still confused about whether this is a troll post.

What is your plan? What are you trying to accomplish?

For me, I was trying to accomplish two things. One: defend home. Two: get better. For those two goals, I picked a 9mm pistol and a .22LR pistol. The first for defense, the second for training. (Since .22Lr was far cheaper).

Years later, if I had to start over, I know how absolutely weak and also bouncy smaller rounds are and would have bought a pump action Remington 12 Ga or Mossberg 500 12ga first.

Then I would have bought a CMP M1 in .308 and done as much Appleseed as I could afford.

Now my rifle skills are meh, but I'm confidant in my pistol. Which means I'm basically good enough to defend the back/flank of a person who is better at a rifle.

Again, what are your goals?

Ok, so I am new here. I am getting my FID in the mail any day now. I have money saved up for my first purchase, now I’m not looking for plain looking bunting rifles or shotguns. Or a tiny .22 cal. I am looking for decent Calibers like 5.56 or bigger. Anyways, could I buy a pre 94 with an FID? or a Pre 7/16 with an FID? If not how could I own something like an AR or AK? If there is a possibility. If for some reason it is not possible at all, I have a mosin in my dads name it’s gonna be transferred to me. And then I’ll buy a nice 30-30 lever action. But if it is possible for me to own some sort of AR or AK then I will buy that instead.
My wife chose a stainless, late model Ruger Mini 14 Ranch Rifle .223 on her resident alien rifle/shotgun permit. We purchased it in NH. She can't handle the recoil of the 12 gauge Remington 870s that I have. She uses 10 round mags that are FID legal. I tested the rifle and was able to keep all 10 rounds in the kill zone of a humanoid target at 200 yards, which is the maximum fragmentation range of M193 ball. Beyond that, you would be hard-pressed in a court of law to justify a self-defense shooting. The average range for police SWAT snipers is 75 yards or less.

Are you getting the FID because you're not old enough to get the LTC? IF so get the LTC when you turn 21 even though the FID won't be expired. As others have said, consider the garand. If you want a large caliber non-hunting rifle, it's a good choice.

I'm still confused about whether this is a troll post.

What is your plan? What are you trying to accomplish?

For me, I was trying to accomplish two things. One: defend home. Two: get better. For those two goals, I picked a 9mm pistol and a .22LR pistol. The first for defense, the second for training. (Since .22Lr was far cheaper).

Years later, if I had to start over, I know how absolutely weak and also bouncy smaller rounds are and would have bought a pump action Remington 12 Ga or Mossberg 500 12ga first.

Then I would have bought a CMP M1 in .308 and done as much Appleseed as I could afford.

Now my rifle skills are meh, but I'm confidant in my pistol. Which means I'm basically good enough to defend the back/flank of a person who is better at a rifle.

Again, what are your goals?
Not a troll post I’m just trying to see what I can and can’t get, a lot of gun shops around me tell me different things and I tried reading laws but to me they are a little Vague.

Thank you everyone! I’m actually understanding what these stupid FID laws restrict me from, especially in Mass. I’ll try to buy a fixed mag AR (someone said on this thread I can buy) or an SKS.

Not a troll post I’m just trying to see what I can and can’t get, a lot of gun shops around me tell me different things and I tried reading laws but to me they are a little Vague.
every new poster is called a troll, fact of life here.

hey, when you find a gushop that tells you what you want to hear, that's the place you want to patronize.

Thank you everyone! I’m actually understanding what these stupid FID laws restrict me from, especially in Mass. I’ll try to buy a fixed mag AR (someone said on this thread I can buy) or an SKS.

You still have not told us your goals in your intended uses for the rifle, but I will offer a general thought about the two choices you have mentioned.

A fixed mag AR can be lots of fun at the range, and can be a good training rifle for lots of purposes. And a fixed mag AR may be a good entry point for high power target rifle competition, since it is by far the cheapest option in Mass for an accurate semi-auto 5.56. But I would not want to use a fixed mag AR for any serious purpose, because if it jams, clearing it could be slow. Like many semi-autos, on an AR, the first step in clearing some jams is to yank out the magazine. On a fixed mag AR, you have to work through the little ejection port, or separate the upper from the lower. Both bad options under pressure.

The SKS was designed to have a fixed mag. When you pull the bolt back, the whole top of the action is open. So it was designed to resolve issues easily with the fixed mag. If I was going to use a fixed mag rifle for any serious purpose, it would be an SKS or a Garand every time.

I'll also note that if I was choosing a firearm with an FID, I would likely choose a lever action rifle or a pump action shotgun, but those are the things I like, and they are not what you asked about.

I am also trying to be able to defend my home and loved ones if needed to be. Also in it for the hobby and sport, I love going to range and shooting. Ever since I was like 14 when I got my first pellet gun. I have always had an interest in guns since.

You still have not told us your goals in your intended uses for the rifle, but I will offer a general thought about the two choices you have mentioned.

A fixed mag AR can be lots of fun at the range, and can be a good training rifle for lots of purposes. And a fixed mag AR may be a good entry point for high power target rifle competition, since it is by far the cheapest option in Mass for an accurate semi-auto 5.56. But I would not want to use a fixed mag AR for any serious purpose, because if it jams, clearing it could be slow. Like many semi-autos, on an AR, the first step in clearing some jams is to yank out the magazine. On a fixed mag AR, you have to work through the little ejection port, or separate the upper from the lower. Both bad options under pressure.

The SKS was designed to have a fixed mag. When you pull the bolt back, the whole top of the action is open. So it was designed to resolve issues easily with the fixed mag. If I was going to use a fixed mag rifle for any serious purpose, it would be an SKS or a Garand every time.

I'll also note that if I was choosing a firearm with an FID, I would likely choose a lever action rifle or a pump action shotgun, but those are the things I like, and they are not what you asked about.
I would just use the fixed mag AR for fun at the range, other than that nothing else. I plan on getting a 12 gauge for home defense/ range. I mainly like to go to the range to shoot off a few for either fun, blow off steam, or practice. Other than that it would be nice to have a few for home defense. I mainly love the tactical looking guns, the “scary” ones as the libtards describe them.

Back
Top Bottom