• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What is considered a MA compiant flash suppressor?

Found a cheap AR for a friend of mine who lives in MA. It has an A2 flash hider on it that is not permanently attached. Is the A2 hider legal in MA if it is permanently attached? If not what is a legal one that I can permanently attach?

IANAL and IIRC...if advertised as a FH, then no-go unless preban lower.

If you have a detach magazine and pistol grip, threaded barrel would be the third killy thing...and thus, the muzzle device would need to be pinned/welded.

You can pin/weld anything advertised as a comp or brake.

Welcome to mASS.

Last edited:
Found a cheap AR for a friend of mine who lives in MA. It has an A2 flash hider on it that is not permanently attached. Is the A2 hider legal in MA if it is permanently attached? If not what is a legal one that I can permanently attach?

There are tons of comps/muzzle brakes out there, so if you search for those terms (instead of a flash hider) and then run a double check you should be good.

SO the legality is based solely on how the muzzle device is named? A brake or compensator is OK but a hider is a no go?

I think a rolled-up newspaper is the only currently legal MA flash suppressor.

I thought you could use a cat for that... [shocked]

If you remember the game that came from, you get bonus points... [devil] [rofl2]

- - - Updated - - -

SO the legality is based solely on how the muzzle device is named? A brake or compensator is OK but a hider is a no go?

deleted in order to scrape the sand out of jasons vag.

Last edited:
No... IF it's a brake/comp, you're good. If the opening of the device is larger than the projectile (by more than x thousandths of an inch) then it's not MA approved. Flash 'hiders' are verboten in MA (unless for a pre-ban lower as already mentioned, or as part of a pre-ban rifle).

Then haw does the Carlson comp.. made in MA and marketed as BATFE approved fit into that?

oonbq46t.jpg

answered in the other thread..

Carlson Mini Comp it is!!!

I just talked to Greg Carlson. He explained fully what I never realized...

The Mini Comp is like a short flash hider. It looks like a flash hider, but does not actually hide the flash so it is ok by ATF standards. There is little noise magnification like a brake. It does act like a brake to some extent.

I am so glad that I can get this. It will protect my barrel and it looks great also.

Thanks PaulD for getting me to look into the Mini Comp!

No idea... I will say that not being in the PRM makes things far easier though. [laugh]

BTW, just because it's BATFE (fed) approved doesn't mean it's MA compliant.

I thought that for all intents and purposes BATFE approval as a comp is enough. MA doesn't maintain any sort of approved list or anything, and they'd have a hell of a time trying to directly contradict BATFE if it ever came down to it, no?

I believe I read .gov no longer tests for flash suppression so to my knowledge, if advertised as comp/brake, you are likely good to go. If advertised as a FH, you are not good to go.

Read that 'if you can put your pink into the end, it's not MA compliant' before... As I've said, I don't live in the PRM. I bought my first AR in NH, after moving into NH. I don't have to deal with any of the MA crap-laws.

BTW, you should take a large gulp of chillout juice.

Maybe you should refrain from giving incorrect legal advise in the MA Law section of the forum. You're not helping anyone.

The geniuses who made up this bullshit flash hider law did not see fit to define what a flash hider is or isn't, so the technically correct answer is "nobody knows."

With that said, for all practical purposes you are unlikely to run into legal trouble with either of those.

The geniuses who made up this bullshit flash hider law did not see fit to define what a flash hider is or isn't, so the technically correct answer is "nobody knows."

With that said, for all practical purposes you are unlikely to run into legal trouble with either of those.

Yup.

Can someone recommend a guy to weld a muzzle brake on an AR that works in the Lowell Mass. Area??? I need. To have 2 done.
Thanks

I don't know about the Lowell area. I had mine done in Norwood at Gatman. But overall you should be paying $40-50 to have it pin and welded.

Back
Top Bottom