What is causing this jam?? Ruger MarkIII

kiver

NES Member
85474E48-3928-428B-A199-F62F87AD9E10-8274-00000A8CB13F156D.jpg

Gun is clean and extractor looks good. I had this happen at least once every magazine. Using CCI SV

Thanks

i've had 2 rugers still have one and both had problems, call Ruger see

what say. i have sent both back on their dime. They fixed both

and i never had any further problems. They test them with CCI

ammo.

Jim

Could be the LCI. Take it out and fire the pistol without it in place. If jams go away you found the problem. If not, let Ruger fix it. I have read of LCI related jams over on RC. There is an easy fix for the LCI.

I have the same MKIII. The casing is stuck all in the LCI, but my guess is that something else is wrong that puts it there. And spins is around 180, too.

I can't see from the angle of the picture...do you see an ejector pin that sticks out of the bolt when you have the bolt all the back and locked? It is located opposite the extractor on the face of the bolt. It's actually part of the barrel, not the bolt group. It "flicks" the casing out and away from the gun. It's rigid and somewhat brittle and unprotected, so it could break off if you're rough with the gun like maybe when disassembling/reassembling, and you wouldn't notice. It it's not there, the casing won't go far.

Otherwise, if there ejector is intact, perhaps the bolt isn't travelling back far enough to allow it to give the casing a good hit due to whatever.

Last edited:
My Ruger Mark II has this same failure repeatedly with cci. I started using Federal .22 and no issues. Not sure what caused it or why but it has only happened with cci and on several occasions. Maybe one or two failures like that per magazine.

Ejector is tweaked or broken is my guess. Does it strip a new round from the mag when this happens, or is it the last round in the mag.?

I've also had similar happen when shooting close to an object, as empty bounced back in from adjacent object.

I have over 20,000 rounds through my MKIII 22/45, and it even functioned correctly with a broken extractor.

I'll try pulling the LCI and compare the ejector to my other MarkIII. I even have some federal ammo I'll try with it tomorrow evening. We will see what happens

I'd check on the magazine first to see if the spring is weak, follower is not sliding correctly or feed lips are not holding the round correctly. Then I'd move on to seeing if the LCI is causing the issue. Also you mentioned you are using standard velocity rounds. Try some high velocity and see if that solves the issue. Also check the extractor claw to see if its rounded off. Ruger had some issues with the hardness of their extractors on the MKii/iii series. If its rounded it may not be holding onto the case sufficiently to effectively pivot it out of the ejection port.

Good suggestion on SV and HV rounds, mag, and what I suggested the LCI... also on the ejector possibility. Try one solution at a time so you can narrow down the problem.

Also make sure your bolt face is clean especially under the extractor claw. Crud gets pretty well solidified under there and a brass brush wont always clean it all off. I usually use a pick or a utility knife razor blade to scrap the crud out of the little corners so the case sits flat on the bolt face allowing the extractor to get the best grip on the case for ejection.

Loaded Chamber Indicator. Mark IIIs are notorious. Slide a thin piece of cardboard under it to keep it in place. Problem will go away. Looks stupid, shouldn't be needed, but works.

Yup that was it. Pulled the LCI. And she purred in competition tonight. Only problem was the sight was way off and shot a wonderful 110

Yup that was it. Pulled the LCI. And she purred in competition tonight. Only problem was the sight was way off and shot a wonderful 110

I was reading in the 22/45 forum on Rimfirecentral.com that someone now makes a blank filler to go into the slot where the LCI is. As a permanent fix, this may be in your future.

Last edited:
Got a link?

EDIT: Found this thread here

I also came across this guys vid suggesting you can just remove the plate. I may just try that.

http://jeffshootsstuff.blogspot.com/2010/10/ruger-mkiii-lci-loaded-chamber.html

Great - glad you found the thread over there. I'll have to check out that video. I can hear some grit scratching when I move the LCI.

My Mark III 22/45 Hunter is a nice looking gun, but there are times that I like the Mark II's lack of "improvements".

Thats right. So if you were planning to put in a power custom or Volqhartson trigger, which removes the mag safety, then a Mk III might be preferable.

You just need to remember to order the MkII Volquartsen kit, NOT theMkIII kit to remove the mag disconnect.

To anyone new considering a MK or 22/45, the assembly/disassembly is not as difficult as the interwebs would suggest. Once you get the hang of it.

Reassembling is much easier without the mag safety because the hammer has to be back to mate the upper and lower and forward/down to install the main spring.

Back
Top Bottom