• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What is an LTC A & FFL 03 good for in MA?

Not for an all original WWII Hi-Power - according to the MA State Police! [angry]

Had an out of state seller (FFL 01) who was a bit concerned about MA laws. I sent him a bunch of links to the laws and other info. He was still a bit concerned and called the MA State Police for more info. He spent loads of time being transferred from one person to another. "They don't seem like they know their own laws" he says. Just when he thinks he finds someone who knows and seems to indicate it is ok, he is transferred "all the way to the top", and told "it is illegal"! LTC A, FFL 03 (C&R), and nearly 70 year old pistol and (clearly pre-ban) magazine - illegal in MA! What does the State Police think those licenses are for?!

Last edited:
Why would you ask a police officer for legal advice?

And what did he really expect? "Yeah, ship that pistol on in here! Our state needs more handguns!"

I didn't ask - out of state FFL asked. What could I say (which I did) other than "It is unfortunate that those we have to enforce the laws don't even know them"? I sent him links to the laws and stickies here - but the laws are very hard to interpret and as good as they are, the stickies here are just "on the internet" to those not familiar with their quality.

Well, if you want it, is there no "real" FFL that will accept it?

Thanks for the suggestion, but as legal as it might be for me to do so, I doubt I'd feel comfortable asking an FFL to transfer it to me. This isn't important enough for me to ask someone to even remotely threaten their livelihood. For now, anyway, there are still other fish in the sea.

Thanks for the suggestion, but as legal as it might be for me to do so, I doubt I'd feel comfortable asking an FFL to transfer it to me. This isn't important enough for me to ask someone to even remotely threaten their livelihood. For now, anyway, there are still other fish in the sea.

If it is legal they will do the transfer. If it is not they will not. You are not asking them to risk anything.

Arlow makes the point that I was, but differently.

The problem is that the seller is unwilling to transfer to a non "Real" FFL. If Joes Guns, who can email a copy of his license to the seller will appease the seller, and the charge for S&H and transfer is not too high, good.

Thanks all for the suggestions - I may be jumping to conclusions about other's business that is better left to them to understand. I'll look into the FFL 01 transfer option.

Have him ship the gun to a out of state FFL like NH, VT, ETC. then that FFL can send it to you on your C&R or you could go pick it up with your C&R. You do your FA-10 when you get the firearm into MA.

Have him ship the gun to a out of state FFL like NH, VT, ETC. then that FFL can send it to you on your C&R or you could go pick it up with your C&R. You do your FA-10 when you get the firearm into MA.

Thanks - another option I hadn't considered.

When my C&R comes up for renewal I'm going to use my son's address in NH to avoid this sort of crap. At least that way it will be consistent with all my ammo and magazine orders.

Ken

Ugh. This shit happens all too often to MA FFL03 holders. There is absolutely nothing illegal about what you're asking that seller to do.

I've been lucky enough over the years to not run into this with any particular C&R gun that I had my heart set on. Actually once a distributor refused to sell me a C&R handgun that came with 12 round magazines (although they were definitely preban). Unfortunately it isn't going to get any easier for us, ever. [hmmm]

Back
Top Bottom