What is actually involved in becoming a certified firearms instructor? *quick story*

I agree with WatchCityCPA on this... any attempts to fix it will result in things getting worse (or on a good day, more expensive and less accessible). It doesn't change the fact that these shitty instructors are more or less engaging in a form of consumer fraud, though.

The only way to fix it is to kill the required training cash cow. Until then "instructors" will keep lining up to cash in on our crappy laws.

The only way to fix it is to kill the required training cash cow. Until then "instructors" will keep lining up to cash in on our crappy laws.
If you think I make money instructing you're crazy. Prep time, 10 hours of teaching. Subtract the ammo and course materials. I haven't made that kind of an hourly wage since I graduated high school.

I haven't taught in a few years, but when I did I can tell you it certainly wasn't a cash cow. I did it for fun.

If you think I make money instructing you're crazy. Prep time, 10 hours of teaching. Subtract the ammo and course materials. I haven't made that kind of an hourly wage since I graduated high school.

I haven't taught in a few years, but when I did I can tell you it certainly wasn't a cash cow. I did it for fun.

I'm with both of you on this. Also people have no clue how much it cost for equipment (almost every gun I owned was considered "unacceptable" to meet NRA standards for teaching BFS courses), projectors, rent for a classroom, student packs (NRA rapes us on S/H and charges sales tax on the entire cost to boot), liability insurance ($300+/yr), etc.

ETA: Maintenance of the guns cost serious money too. Students frequently flip the cylinder closed on revolvers (remember watching all those movies as kids?), drop the guns on the bench, etc. A good friend and good instructor was forever sending his training .22s either to the factory or a gunsmith for repair (he was personally teaching 5 days/week).

Also, many instructors "teach for the club", all money goes to the club but significant expense (liability insurance, repair of guns, purchase of guns, etc.) falls on the volunteer instructors.

There are only a handful (if that) of "training mills" that make money for the company! Note, I didn't say instructor.

Last edited:
Your problem is with your friend that has an irrational trust in a title or license.

I don't have a problem with him. I have a concern for him, and every other newb out there that is being misled to the point where they may get into trouble because of what an instructor "instructs" them to do.

The problem is some of these instructors are so bad that they put their students in legal peril if these students actually take the smoke enema they've been given as gospel.

I agree with WatchCityCPA on this... any attempts to fix it will result in things getting worse (or on a good day, more expensive and less accessible). It doesn't change the fact that these shitty instructors are more or less engaging in a form of consumer fraud, though.

-Mike

Also agreed, and I never said anything about "fixing" the system of certifying instructors. That would definitely create more of a mess than it would be intended to clear up. I advised my friend to start reading into MA gun laws and to give me a call just before his head is about to explode. Again, I hadn't seen or even talked to him for several years as we fell out of touch. I didn't know he had applied for a license. Tell you what though, I was pretty jealous of the very nice AR he has with the freaking ACOG on top of it!!

True story:

My then 13-year old son wanted to get his Instructor cert., so he and I took the Basic Pistol Instructor's course at GOAL from Jon Green.

First thing was a pop quiz on Mass laws.....my kid got the highest score. [laugh]

My point? The more you learn about the Mass gun laws....the less you know!

Well yeah, but you're probably not the guy the OP was talking about. The good instructors aren't a problem....

Back
Top Bottom