What is a good price to charge for NFA transfers?

I was wondering what you all thought was a good price to charge for NFA transfers? I just got my 07FFL in the mail and just sent out for my SOT. I have been looking online to see what other places are changing for there transfers. I have seen between $50-$125. Keep in mind that it's $500 a year for the SOT. Also when you transfer something on a form 4 there is a long wait. So I would have to hold on to the item and be responsible for it until the approval came back. I would like to be inexpensive but not to cheap as to not have it be worth while.

I've been thinking about this too I think some of it also has to do with the amount of space that the item is taking up in your safe and so on. Also liability.... like if someone elses 30k m16/RR is in your safe that's something that you have to provide stewardship for while you're waiting for the dude's paperwork to process... I would think that a NFA dealer would want at least get a hundred or two hundred bucks or more for these, at least to try to cover his SOT tax + expenses. Obviously if it was a friend or somebody I knew well I would cut them a huge break. Or I would say something like when you come to pick up your device you better bring me a bottle of Woodford..... [laugh]

Obviously free market kind of dictates things in the region that you're in in an area where there's a large number of NFA dealers you're probably not going to be able to charge as much but if you're the only guy around for miles you can probably get more money just like anything else....

Just like a normal transfer that can range from free to $50 or even more at some shops... it depends on what you feel your time and space is worth.

all that said, I’ve seen up to $300 as the fee.

I've been thinking about this too I think some of it also has to do with the amount of space that the item is taking up in your safe and so on. Also liability.... like if someone elses 30k m16/RR is in your safe that's something that you have to provide stewardship for while you're waiting for the dude's paperwork to process... I would think that a NFA dealer would want at least get a hundred or two hundred bucks or more for these, at least to try to cover his SOT tax + expenses. Obviously if it was a friend or somebody I knew well I would cut them a huge break. Or I would say something like when you come to pick up your device you better bring me a bottle of Woodford..... [laugh]

Obviously free market kind of dictates things in the region that you're in in an area where there's a large number of NFA dealers you're probably not going to be able to charge as much but if you're the only guy around for miles you can probably get more money just like anything else....

Why not $100 or 1% whichever is higher. Covers you for the lower end stuff, and the risks on the higher dollar stuff.

I charge $50 but don’t offer fingerprinting services onsite, the money is in having a few on hand for sale or matching/beating price of transfer if it hasn’t been initiated yet.

I have generally paid $100 or 200 for the dealer to do a transfer.

if I do a transfer to the dealer where the dealer has to hold the gun for the transfer to the buyer it has been 200 but that was also at a time when transfers were taking 6 months+

$15 or find a new dealer. [wink]

^^^^sarcasm by the way.
youre being responsible for other people very expensive property. coulle things I would figure in would be...
-paperwork
-size and weight of property
-storage
-insurance cost
-time frame of transfer

If I had a $25-30k gun being transferred then $200 buck is kinda pennies at that point.

Form 4 transfers can run 12 months. What is the storage space worth and regular calls from the customer of “can I pickup yet?” worth?

Seriously, it is not a low stress activity. There is a dealer at the Mill that helps customers with their form 1. Fingerprints, guides them through the eform, mails everything, etc. Cost is $250 not including the tax stamp and he has people lined up to use the service. Navigating NFA is hard. Not apples to apples but gives you an idea.

With fingerprinting and storage there is likely a number around $200 that makes sense. Or maybe a structured fee. $50 plus $50 for fingerprinting plus $10/mo storage plus $50 every time they call for status.

Price it low and you will have customers and a safe full of items you can’t do anything with waiting on form 4s. Too high and you will have less stress and time for more profitable activities.

Paid $75 for a form4, he provided fingerprint cards, but not fingerprints, the basic form 4, and letter to COP.

I've done several NFA transfers for NES green members for $75. But then again, I'm not in it for the $$. And I've done them on "company" (Mill) time. $200 is reasonable for what's involved. I once did a freebee for a police detective in exchange for a couple of letters for post samples. He made out since his dep't had an M16 on a form 5 which they just let him "have". One hand washes the other. Jack.

Back
Top Bottom