What in THE HELL happened to Riley's????

50% less guns, some foofy white wood covering up the old paneling walls where there used to be guns, guns, guns. Bargain table gone. Reloading area completely changed around, very little brass. Totally different atmosphere. Been going there since I was a teenager in the 1980's. Maybe they ARE making room for a shipment of sex toys....

Ralph sold the business to his son and an investor a few years ago. The investor bought Ralph's son out. My guess is they don't have the cash anymore to buy used guns. They have new guns which they can buy on credit. Ralph had deep pockets, he was able to buy alot of used guns. Its probably an end of an era. I was going there for 31 years. Unfortunately everything changes.

Maybe catering to the tactical lumber jacks with those really clean squishy hands folks who would go ....oooh yuck used guns...whats that cosmoline, gross.[laugh]

Things change and it seems the investor wants a different clientele.

When I worked in Manchester (yes, I should have moved to NH) I used to go in all the time. I since took a new job here in MA and when I visited a few months ago I had a feeling something was going on. Roy who used to work the reloading counter (very friendly and very helpful) was gone and the guy I was talking too said he had no idea what happened. Also, I was checking out a few hand guns and was told I could only dry fire once! Too bad as it was a great store with great people. I bought a Kimber anyways just because I can! Only way to have nice toys in MA is to get your FFL....and SOT if you really want to have fun. Makes living in MA in tolerable....for now!

I will look deeper into this when I finish putting on my high button shoes and before pulling on my bull's tits.

I haven't been there in eons.

Over the years, I had made ALOT of purchases there (pistols, rifles, shotguns, my wife's first pistol, and reloading supplies).

I liked their used pistols, got a good deal on kimber pro-carry once (Unfortunately sold it to a buddy. Wish I had kept it).
I really liked their used rifle selection too. I also got a really good deal on an SKS paratrooper there about 8 years ago.

Oh well ..... times, they are a changing.

Last edited:
the end of the era was gone with dick.

usually that's how thing begin, not end ... with dick [laugh]

I shopped there because I liked the old gun shop feel of the place, creaky floors and all, DAMN! Did they destroy the reloading section out back?

yes, I don't know why, but half-lit, dingy shops with bins of old shit and old, weird things attracts gun buyers looking for a bargain. Also BO, that scent has to be bottled and sold to all shops catering to old timers [laugh]

Still worth going into if you are in the area. Got a case of 9mm 124gr blazer brass for 180. Shooters had it for $200

I was there this summer and talked to the guy about the sparse inventory. Said he couldn't compete with online. People would go to his store and try out a holster. Put it back on the shelf and then go and buy it on off the internets etc..

That's a damn shame.

When I had a Saturday free I would do the triple trifecta (Riley's, Shooters and Bass Pro). Bought my first lower from them (Denver helped me out). Also bought my Dillon from them and more ammo and brass than I can remember.

Unfortunately, the days of Denver and Ralph are long gone. :-(

So sad, but so,so true. Place doesn't even smell like the old Riley's anymore. I remember going there in the late 80's and early 90's and spending 2 hours browsing/buying. A low-down dirty shame.

I was there this summer and talked to the guy about the sparse inventory. Said he couldn't compete with online. People would go to his store and try out a holster. Put it back on the shelf and then go and buy it on off the internets etc..

Just had the same thing happen with the Pilot Shop over in Nashua, Gone.... out of business.... could not compete with the Wal-Mart of pilot supplies... Sporty's

They've been headed this way for at least a couple of years now. They seem to be catering to the black rifle and silencers crowd more than anything now. If you want the nice creaky floor old tyme feel, go to Al's Gun & Reel in Derry or Collectors in Stoneham, especially upstairs and next to the staircase. There's lots of treasures hidden around that place if you look. RIP Riley's [sad]

Back
Top Bottom