• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What in tarnation is H&K thinking...

Pretty sure a MA dealer can take these in and put a stock on before selling it to a customer, right?

With a pinned and welded thread protector of course. I REALLY don’t know why they have the threads/trilug at the end of this thing.

I realize some MA dealers will do a fancy frame transfer for SBRing a current SP5. But this may open up options for others.

Pretty sure a MA dealer can take these in and put a stock on before selling it to a customer, right?

With a pinned and welded thread protector of course. I REALLY don’t know why they have the threads/trilug at the end of this thing.

I realize some MA dealers will do a fancy frame transfer for SBRing a current SP5. But this may open up options for others.
Exactly, yes. Though they would need an 07 FFL since the ATF would consider doing this to be manufacturing.

Per the Feds
Put a stock on it and offer it for sale = manufacturing.
Put a stock on it after a MA resident customer buys it on GB and has it shipped to you = gunsmithing.

Exactly, yes. Though they would need an 07 FFL since the ATF would consider doing this to be manufacturing.

Per the Feds
Put a stock on it and offer it for sale = manufacturing.
Put a stock on it after a MA resident customer buys it on GB and has it shipped to you = gunsmithing.

01s inside mass are never going to touch these anyways, so it's sort of a self-fulfilling prophecy in that respect.

Thanks for the response. People kept commenting this would open new markets and I couldn’t see it being viable in roster states like Cali and Mass. HK is selling it as a pistol but I was unaware an FFL could add a stock and resell. Would you have to comply with 922r if you went this route?

I realize it has a pistol endcap on it, but isn’t that a carbine? The “K”s have internal end caps and blocking plates on the sides so you can’t attach a standard stock. That would seem like another indicator that this is a 922 run around intended to be a rifle from the outset.

Thanks for the response. People kept commenting this would open new markets and I couldn’t see it being viable in roster states like Cali and Mass. HK is selling it as a pistol but I was unaware an FFL could add a stock and resell. Would you have to comply with 922r if you went this route?
922R is a meaningless law for the average gun buyer. ($100 to the gun rights org of your choice for anyone who can find a single instance of a gun owner being prosecuted for 922r compliance)

But it does figure into the compliance picture for the 07 doing the conversion. So yes. It does become an issue there.
There are other ways around this problem than converting to a rifle.

The 07 could remove the trigger pack and transfer it as a receiver. Then Fed paperwork would be required but its not a firearm per MA law.

The buyer could acquire a trigger pack and stock somewhere and assemble the gun. Then he would register it as a rifle on the eFA10 portal.

This is all 100% above the boards legal.

What is debatable is whether it would be legal for the same FFL to then hand the buyer the same trigger pack he just removed. But lets not focus on that. Trigger packs are readily available on GB. Or at least normally are. ha. Or HKParts.net.

This is really a gun intended to be made into a rifle by its owner. This makes a lot of sense because it skirts the whole 922R issue.

The internets gun experts like to argue about 922 compliance. But the reality is this regs intent is to regulate manufacturers and dealers. There has been not a single instance of any individuals prosecuted for 922R compliance.

So you buy the pistol, put a stock on it and you have a 100% HK made rifle.

Though it still looks ridiculous even with a stock. Better to buy the short gun and make a SBR out of it.

Is this easier to make into an SBR since you can use form 1 and swap out the barrel?

Is this easier to make into an SBR since you can use form 1 and swap out the barrel?
Someone can correct me if I’m wrong, but I think the benefit is you can just slap a stock on it and sell it as a rifle in those places where it might be problematic as a pistol. Let the end user sbr it if they like on their own time, but this doesn’t seem any easier to sbr than a normal sp5 - if anything worse as the barrel replacement costs money and isn’t drop-in. You could just cut it I guess, assuming the owner isn’t buying this as a collectible oddity.

Last edited:
Someone can correct me if I’m wrong, but I think the benefit is you can just slap a stock on it and sell it as a rifle in those places where it might be problematic as a pistol. Let the end user sbr it if they like on their own time, but this doesn’t seem any easier to sbr than a normal sp5 - if anything worse as the barrel replacement isn’t cheap or drop-in. You could just cut it I guess, assuming the owner isn’t buying this as a collectible oddity.
I was thinking you could almost chop it, and with a bit of work have a spare barrel?

I was thinking you could almost chop it, and with a bit of work have a spare barrel?

Quality US made replacement barrels aren’t expensive - under $200 or $300 I think - though you do probably have to get a smith involved to swap them. Time will tell what a 16” HK trilug barrel will be worth, but if it was mine I don’t think I’d cut it.

So in Mass the easiest route to owning an MP5 is still to buy the SP5 and do the SBR paperwork?
Easier mechanically, not easier bureaucratically. I’m sure there are more dealers willing to sell this since it’s a rifle under MGL.

But find a dealer(s) willing to break an SP5 down to do a frame transfer for SBRing and that is much easier to physically do. P&W the thread protector and slap on a stock... done.
Sadly, it is no easy task to change an MP5 barrel. At a minimum, a press fit. But I think it also requires splitting the stamped receiver shell. You could chop it easily, but then lose the trilugs since they’re on the barrel and not part of the barrel threads.

Edit: it requires a press and also jigs to drill out the barrel pin and redrill through the receiver for a new pin.

If you’re okay with just chopping and re-crowning the 16” barrel down to 8.9” and forgetting about the trilug, then this new rifle version is just as physically easy as the SP5 pistol->SBR route.

I prefer the regular SP5 route so the barrel is unmolested. But I can see the appeal for some people for this 16” version, especially if they don’t intend to SBR.

Last edited:

No stock needed. Already a rifle under MGL.

No, its actually harder to make into an SBR than a pistol. Its not a trivial thing to swap an MP5 style barrel. I believe Dakota Tactical charges $300 for a barrel swap.

You are better off in most cases buying the pistol version if you want a SBR.

But there is a twist. If you live in MA, you want to get this version. That is because the pistol version of the SP5 comes with a threaded bbl. So the best path if you live in MA is to buy this one. FA10 it. Then send I out to have a 3 lug barrel installed after your Form 1 comes back.

This one has a threaded barrel as well, but if it's coming off it's coming off.
ok. well the other problem with transferring the pistol version in MA is that its an AW in stock form. Just because of the weight.

So you'd have to find a FFL willing to separate it and transfer it to you as a receiver. Then you could ship it off to get the bbl replaced and he could then send you the rest of the gun.

If you get the rifle, just pin a muzzle brake onto the stock barrel and do the transfer.

Back
Top Bottom