1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2. Dismiss Notice

What impact wrench to get?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by T-Unit, Feb 1, 2019.

1. rkwjunior

rkwjunior NES Member

You need to use The Milwaukee 2767 1/2", it will break away lug nuts tightened with a 1" drive air powered impact gun. Watch Youtube vids, its legit, no joke. Mate it with a 9amp hour battery and its a nut busting machine, and it will run long after your next battery is charged.

2. T-Unit

T-Unit

Boy, if this was the case then IDK how all those mechanics who use cordless impacts get anything done.

I'm doing simple work on an F150 on the weekend a few times a year, why the f*** do I need to act like I'm a professional working on a big rig and tool up with air tools and a compressor when all I'm doing is taking off lug nuts and a 300 ft-lb axle nut a few times a year? Jeezus man, what rifle do you recommend people when they want to go squirrel hunting? Barrett M82?

garandman likes this.
  3. mwalsh9152

mwalsh9152

It's the weirdest thing, me and my good friend, who worked together.....on big rigs, both loved IR air impacts. He had the polymer model, and I had a thunder gun. But then I bought a Snap On 18V and never looked back. He followed suit, and loved it just as much. SO much easier than dragging a hose out every time. The only time the IR gun was used after that was if my batteries were charging, or on the rare instance where I needed a little extra power.

4. rkwjunior

rkwjunior NES Member

Depending on what model m18 impact, you won't need extra power. Anything for general automotive ,the high impact is too much, you'll be breaking shit. I use the 2767 (big mamma) on special occasions, it will snap old rusty 3/4 in thread bolts, that's 1-1/4 head. I have the smallest 1/2 drive I use on 4, 6 and 8" victaulic pipe fittings, it's no slouch. They have a medium size one that's in between both. If you purchase the rapid charger, you wont be waiting for batteries, but you also wont be out of charge unless your constantly going, the batteries last a good while. Dont underestimate the cordless impacts from Milwaukee, that air compressor taking up all the room in ur shop will free up lots of space.

5. ThePreBanMan

ThePreBanMan NES Member

I personally know several mechanics who have been life long friends. The all laugh at cordless impact wrenches. Each has over 20 years experience in the field. In fact, just the other day I was at a buddies garage and I watched as his Snappy 1/2 inch cordless wouldn't take a lug nut off a Honda Civic they were putting a tie rod end in. Out came the air tool, braaap braaap and it was off...

Oh sure, they're okay under ideal conditions and they use them when they can. But in the real world, ideal conditions are rarely what mechanics encounter. Nuts/bolts are rusted, seized, over tightened by shady trees who don't own torque sticks or a torque wrench, etc... Or you got the woman who drove a year+ on that bad wheel bearing and now everything is seized up. But if you want to put your experience up against theirs, that's a bet I'll take 6 days a week and twice on Sunday.

You're working on an F-150 a few times a year. Hey, that's cool man. But there's a bit of advice that was imparted on me years ago that has always proven true.... "Buy once, cry once".... Something else to consider too, the service life of the batteries. Those Lithium M18 batteries aren't cheap. Ask me how I know. Over the service life, the air tool could actually be cheaper to own.

I had to put a hub in my 97 ZJ a couple of times. Not even the IR would get the hub bolts loose. We had to bust out the oxy-acetylene torch and heat the hub. My point being, you don't think you'll need it, until you need it.....

Last edited: Apr 16, 2019 at 9:34 AM
  6. Asaltweapon

Asaltweapon NES Member

If I drop my IR I'm hoping my foot isn't under it.
    Not sure how many times you can drop a plastic covered tool and not have the pieces flying.

There's still no way not to have an air compressor so I don't see cordless tools being the cure all.

7. rkwjunior

rkwjunior NES Member

They havent used the newer 1/2" m18 Milwaukee impacts, I have 20 years experience in Pipefitting. I've taken off countless rusted pipeflanges and vic fittings. Not like I have access to air tools, but the new impacts arent toys, the big boy will snap big bolts, the medium and small will be sufficient in automotive. Whatever they are using for cordless isnt what they need. I've broken bolts free with Milwaukee impacts that a breaker bar wouldn't break .

8. ThePreBanMan

ThePreBanMan NES Member

So what, that's a common occurrence in your average garage. The running joke is breaker bars are for breaking bolts. But if you want the parts intact, you use an impact and where necessary - heat. No offense to your profession, I'm sure you're a skilled craftsman. But pipe fitting and automotive environments are not the same. Not even close. I'm not finding you experience comparative or relevant. I'm glad they work for you in your field.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2019 at 1:21 PM
  9. rkwjunior

rkwjunior NES Member

It's very relevant. Automotive deals with rusty old nuts and bolts. NO?. My trade uses impacts for the same reason automotive uses impacts, rusty shit that wont come loose. We use heat all the time for stuff we need intact, but most of the time we use one of the 3 settings on the impact gun to tone down the breaking power. We also install various things with impacts, we use them daily for install and removal.
    Alot of the negative comments about cordless impacts is power, power is a non issue.
    Good cordless impacts can replace certain tools in an automotive environment, they already have on certain levels. It's ok to try something new.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2019 at 10:22 AM
  10. golden chicken

golden chicken

If you have a good sized air compressor it's hard to beat an air impact. It's lighter and more compact for the power. But even my 780 ft-lb quiet IR has nothing on my Milwaukee fuel M18 1/2" high torque gun as far as power goes. If you need the convenience over weight or size, then cordless should serve you well.

11. ThePreBanMan

ThePreBanMan NES Member

My friends (actual mechanics) would disagree with your assessment of their profession. I'll take their word for it. Like I said in a prior post - their reality is different than yours. In their profession, rusty bolts are only the beginning of the issue most times. As mentioned prior, over tightening, damage to the threads, repeated heating/cooling, exposure to rock salt from the roads, etc... It's not an unheard of occurrence for even their mighty IR pneumatic guns to choke on a bolt. It happened on my ZJ when we were changing a hub so I've seen it first hand. It's a common occurrence for them to have to drop their snap on cordless and reach for the air powered gun. Especially when that battery gets down to half a charge territory or less.... At that point, their torque output starts to fall off a cliff. A spare/replacement battery costs as much as brand new IR pneumatic gun.

Do they have cordless guns, sure. Do they use them, sure. If you told them they could only choose one, the pneumatic would win every time.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2019 at 1:41 PM
  12. mikelawtown

mikelawtown NES Member

I was at a buds shop last week and when he installed some shocks and Running Boards he broke out his Milwaukee impact wrench and impact half inch he said you just can’t beat the convenience

Last edited: Apr 16, 2019 at 5:10 PM
  13. drgrant

drgrant Moderator NES Member

Everyone says this crap but frankly you are doing yourself a great disservice by flinting. If you're doing DIY you're doing stuff that PAYS FOR ITSELF, why punish the shit
    out of yourself with shitty tools? Most of the time the money you saved would have paid for the correct tool several times over.

Anyone with a brain will not buy Ryobi anything unless they plan on using it once and throwing it in the trash after. Milwaukee, Makita, Dewalt (or DeWilt as AvE calls it lol). Pick one non-junk system, stick with it.

Picking multiples = you put yourself in BATTERY HELL.. which is a shitty place to be.

For example, because I'm a "makita house" I only own a few of the tools but now have a bunch of batteries and two chargers. Now every time I add a tool I can just get a battery-free tool, often at far reduced cost. Battery dead? just steal another one from another tool, etc. It makes life a lot easier.

-Mike

14. rkwjunior

rkwjunior NES Member

Whether you like to hear it or not our profession is similar. Nothing you have said has made me think sand and salt or anything else is as any worse than 40 or 50 year old chilled water piping that has been sweating under old insulation for multiple decades, and or 40 and 50 year old steam lines. Sometimes we need finesse, sometimes brute strength, in the HVAC business we do it all.
    A pneumatic gun wont win every time, wont happen, not in this day and age of good cordless impact, ill put my cordless 2676 up against ur buddies pneumatic anyday. I suggest your buddies remove their blinders and throw out that Snap-On cordless, time to run with Milwaukee, they need an introduction to good battery impacts, Amazon has batteries for 30-40% the cost of Home Depot, REAL Milwaukee batteries, not chinese.
    That Snap-on truck isn't what it use to be, nor is snap-on known for cordless tools. Milwaukee is pretty much the king, and on another level these days. For the price of one Snap-on 4.0 you can get 2 Milwaukee 5.0's, and the Milwaukee will crush that one Snap-on, even home depot prices are better than Snap-Ons pricing.
    Your buddies are missing out, believe me. Its hard to kick old habits, i get it. But i saw the light.

"I have and use 1 in my shop and love it. My compressor is off and my Snap On PT850 and Astro Pneumatic 1823 sits quietly on the workbench."

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wBMRDZzdXmY&t=341s

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_r8ngAcsHA

15. mac1911

mac1911 NES Member

The problem with most 1/2" compressed air impact guns is
    1 . Many are generally weak, under 700ftlbs of break away force
    2. The compressed air pressure and CFM are generally lacking the correct levels

drgrant likes this.
  16. RHJJ

RHJJ NES Member

I have changed plenty of truck tires, yes the big boy cordless will take the lug nuts off the the one inch air guns tightened. The one inch air gun will do it all day for years, dought the cordless would last very long in commercial use.

ThePreBanMan likes this.
  17. Asaltweapon

Asaltweapon NES Member

Where is the penis scale?

OP is a proven skinflint type for whatever reason and nothing is going to move him off that fact.

18. T-Unit

T-Unit

I had an epiphany over the weekend and decided that Ryobi wasn't for me anymore. I saw Milwaukee's M12 3/8 stubby impact wrench was half the size of the 18v Ryobi stuff and had more torque too. I'm extremely impressed by Milwaukee's M12 line while I'm disappointed in Ryobi's impact tools; they just suck, but their drills, drivers, circular saws aren't awful for the price.

There was a guy I was talking to who had 4 different brands of tools/batteries and he wanted to downsize for obvious reasons. It can get out of hand, but if you cap it at two, I don't think that's a problem. If I'm going to do a DIY job, I see no reason to have to run out and buy a Milwaukee tool to be used that infrequently, not when I'd have a cheaper brand (Ryobi, Hercules, Rigid) where both the tools and batteries cost significantly less. I see the sales for the Ryobi's where you get 6 tools, 2 batteries and charger for $260. For a Milwaukee, if you don't already have the battery/charger, it's gonna cost you a lot for their brushless tools. The brushed stuff isn't too bad, but only if you buy 5 tools at once in a kit and on sale:

Milwaukee M18 18-Volt Lithium-Ion Cordless Combo Tool Kit (5-Tool) with Two 3.0Ah Batteries, One Charger, One Tool Bag-2695-25P - The Home Depot

I'll buy the 3/8 M12 not for quality or a battery system, but for the size and power. Because of that, sure, I'll branch out and grab 12v Milwaukee tools when I need them for a job, but when I need more power than what 12v can give me, I'm not going to be looking at Milwaukee because the price to use factor is not going to work in my favor.

Heck, if I need that power, I'll just get a corded tool and be done about it.

19. Woodstock

Woodstock NES Member

Milwaukee used to be the best in the business. Then they were bought out by the same company that owns Ryobi, Homelite, AEG, Dirt Devil and a bunch of big-box brands, more of a marketing company than a tool company. I still own a dozen of their tough old corded tools, but for new cordless I don't find them worth much more than the rest, comparing equal power. Like every other cordless tool, Milwaukees are made in Asia.

20. ThePreBanMan

ThePreBanMan NES Member

You can have a strong opinion and not resort to name calling. Come on man...

RHJJ likes this.
  21. ThePreBanMan

ThePreBanMan NES Member

We'll have to agree to disagree on the similarity of professions then. As others have mentioned, in a setting where the tool sees regular use, the cordless just doesn't hold up. I'll concede the Milwaukee could have more oomph than the Snap On. But that doesn't mean it's more effective than air. Especially when that battery isn't at full charge. Video's taken under ideal conditions don't make a point for either case.

Now let's talk about the versatility of a compressor to the OP (assuming a homeowner). Wants to work on his truck and use an impact wrench. He's covered. Not lets say he has a reno project and wants to do some framing. Now he can use a framing nail gun. Let's say he has some finish work to do, like baseboards, no problem, hook up a 16 gauge finish nail gun. Have smaller projects, an 18 gauge brad nailer or a narrow crown stapler. Let's say he wants to refinish a firearm (DuraCoat) - no problem, he can hook up an airbrush. Let's say he needs to bang out a ball joint... Tell me - does Milwaukee make a cordless version of an air hammer? Nope. How about a cordless die grinder? Nope. Tools that are very commonly used when working on vehicles. How about if he just wants to blow some rust or oil off of surfaces/parts he'll be working on? Yea - no cordless solution for that either. SandBlaster, pfft.... no cordless option there either. Paint guns... nope...

Near term and long term - the compressor is far more versatile and useful to the OP's originally stated use case (vehicle mechanical work). Just look in the real world for further proof. Time is money in an auto shop. Tools that save time pay for themselves 100x over. You may find some auto shops with some cordless tools in the mix. You'll NEVER find one without a compressor and pneumatic tools. That should tell you something.

Now let's talk about tool durability. Drop that Milwaukee gun from head height and you have an expensive paperweight after you watch that plastic tool fall apart. When cars are on lifts it's not uncommon for tools to fall off lift posts, arms etc. Conversely, I've seen my buddy use his IR gun as a hammer, turning it around and whacking an object with the back of the gun. Like when pushing out a bolt that's being stubborn.

There is just no comparison in an automotive use case or in the OP's use case. Air is better.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2019 at 10:51 AM
  22. mac1911

mac1911 NES Member

ah yes the $200 impact guns get highly abused.
    I switched to aircat/nitrocat air tools after a long long run with snap on. Snap on air tools i find dont do anything or last longer than most others out there today.
    Usually running a 5th to 8th less.
    There is no way im spending $700+ on a snappy 1/2 18v gun. Except some specialty tools and diag stuff snap on has lost a lot of ground.
    I wont buy there chrome sockets anymore.

23. drgrant

But it's like anything else, it's made to a given vendor's specs. MTD might make most of the snowblowers in america, but everything comes out of that plant from stuff that is barely above garbage, to the best snowblowers you can buy... same thing with power tools. Or laptops for that matter. In china/taiwan there are probably like a half dozen factories that make all the laptops in the world, but the product specs are determined by the vendor and how much they want to pay...

Given the class Milwaukee likely isn't really a price premium vs its competition in the same segment. I picked Makita because I already had an 18V driver/drill set from them
    that I picked several years ago, so it was logical to go from there for battery compatibility. But just looking at Makita vs Milwaukee on amazon right now, for similar bare tools, the price swing is like $20 or something. I bet its the same for Dewilt. 20 bucks per tool in either direction difference, is stuff that only skinflints whine about. [laugh]

-Mike

24. drgrant

An air compressor is a must have, even for stupid shit like filling tires, and also is invaluable for detailing- a stream of compressed air gets dirt out of car seats and crevices etc and actually lets you get a car clean instead of just half assing it with only a vacuum.

The only thing I want to do with my air compressor rig is have some kind of a hose reel hanging off the wall in my garage so I can just crank that shit up when I'm done with it, right now I end up just disconnecting the pile of hose and throwing it in the corner of the garage because I hate trying to fight the hose to coil it properly. It'll be golden once I've removed that waste of time from the operation....

A decent cordless impact is still invaluable though. I am planning on getting one just for road trips. If it means I can change a tire in a bad spot quicker, then it will have
    paid for itself the first time I use it, even if its the type of event that "almost never happens".

It's also the kind of thing where I could set it up with a different socket or whatever on it, to avoid changing sockets while doing things like brakes, etc.

It's not difficult to justify having both.

-Mike

25. ThePreBanMan

ThePreBanMan NES Member

That's the real advantage the cordless has. The ability to take it on the road and use in remote areas where air isn't practical. If you can afford both and have a use case for both, then absolutely.

26. PatMcD

PatMcD NES Member

If you don't think a Milwaukee cordless is "worth much more" than a Ryobi or Homelite, that tells me you haven't used many cordless tools other than a drill.
    I use most all of my cordless tools daily for work: 15ga finish nailer, jigsaw, miter saw, table saw, circ saw, angle grinder, multi-tool, impact driver, etc.. Milwaukee is the first line of cordless that have been worth anything to me. No complaints so far. Batteries hold a charge a very long time. I broke the nail feed on my finish gun: Milwaukee sent me a label to ship it to them and I had it back within a week. That's awesome customer service in my opinion.
    I've tried Craftsman, Rigid, and Dewalt. Beyond your basic drill/ drivers, the first two suck. Dewalt is good, but I found their tools heavy.

Air will always have its place, but what we're talking about are not the battery tools of even 5-10 years ago.

27. rkwjunior

rkwjunior NES Member

I never said air was useless, of course tires need to be inflated.
    The question is the pneumatic impacts. They can be replaced by cordless and will maintain a viable place in a garage, all day every day.
    The snap on impact has given your buddies a bad taste in their mouth, there are much better alternatives, by miles.
    I see cordless tools get dropped off ladders all the time, I've yet to see one break.
    You seem to forget I'm in a business that is extremely tuff on tools, I've done this for 20 years now, nothing in the automotive industry is earth shatteringly tuff or difficult than the trade I'm in. I'm not into residential HVAC, its commercial industrial. From 1/4 pipe all the way up to 10 and 12" atleast the company I work for. Milwakee makes impacts for all types of applications from automotive all the way up to bridge building.

28. golden chicken

golden chicken

Your investment is greater when you start adding together a decent ~20 gallon air compressor that can run an air impact, hose, fittings, the impact gun itself, etc. than just snagging a homeowner level cordless tool with battery.

Remember there's no way you're taking a 3 gallon pancake compressor and doing any decent work with a powerful air gun that takes 4+ cfm at 90 psi. Same with a wizzer or die grinder or even a blow gun.

29. ThePreBanMan

ThePreBanMan NES Member

You can run an impact wrench on a pancake no problem. Rember what the C in CFM stands for. An impact gun does not see "continuous" use. Meaning you don't hold the trigger down for an hour at a time. You let a pancake fill up and it will run even the biggest an impact just fine. May have some issues with paint sprayers though. In such a case a bigger compressor would serve you better.

As far as costs, HD sells a kit, a 6 gallon Porter Cable pancake compressor, hose, fittings, and 3 nail guns for less loot than just that Milwaukee tool would cost you... Oh and you still have to buy the battery and charger. So the investment is not greater as you claim...

Porter-Cable 6 Gal. 150 PSI Portable Electric Air Compressor, 16-Gauge Nailer, 18-Gauge Nailer and 3/8 in. Stapler Combo Kit (3-Tool)-PCFP12234 - The Home Depot

30. PatMcD

PatMcD NES Member

Porter Cable=junk. The nail guns won't last 3 months of use without having to be rebuilt. The compressor will last a year. Been there, done that.

drgrant likes this.